Christmas Gaming
  • It’s my all time favourite game.

However, it wasn’t at first. If I hadn’t spent £60 on the Saturn version at launch, I may well have given up on it early.

It’s a confusing mess until it clicks. Then it is unique and magical and fun, with so many subtle touches and attention to detail.

On the Saturn version, the music subtly remixed with every play, the date on the Saturns internal clock would change the graphics depending on which part of the year you were playing etc.

All details that probably don’t mean so much these days, but felt truly wonderful at the time.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A quick summary, as I like talking about it: collect 20 blue gems on foot as one of the children and deposit them at the base to become Nights, at which point you take flight and the camera locks to a side on view. Each course wraps around, so to speak, so you can fly through the stage repeatedly. The aim is to collect 20 blue gems and deposit them, then return to the base before the timer runs out, but after depositing 20 blue gems points are doubled (?), so remaining in the stage racking up points before the time runs out is key to maximising your score. Each item you collect gives you a second or so of grace to collect something else to increase a 'link' - basically a combo - which increases your score multiplier. Some courses have complete link possibilities where skillful players can maintain constant links until the timer runs out or a missed item breaks the chain. It's got bags of charm and the bosses are mostly superb too.

Collecting gems on foot is only recommended for one course I know of.....Collecting while flying on rails is what this game is about. It's one of the ultimate score chase games. Is a mess on first encounter but when it clicks it's superb. Suffered from inappropriate comparisons with Mario 64 at launch as it is not an foot game - it's awful like that.

Collect the blue gems as fast as possible to unlock the Ideya palace after which the gems turn gold which is bonus points time - do as many laps as you can picking up as many gems and linking combos as possible before the timer runs out.  Each boss has a near insta-kill method to find. You can earn up to a x2 multiplier depending on how fast you beat the boss.

High scores for each level and part level are tracked. Really hardcore score game. I have it on Saturn, PS2 and Steam. The Steam and PS2 remakes are identical - they have Saturn modes and Christmas Nights as unlockables and they seem to play pretty close to the original.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's been ages since I played but if you collect 20 on foot before heading to the Ideya Palace you can make a beeline for the deposit box and kick the double points/gold gems phase in quicker. I think. It's not necessary, just stuck in my head as I always used to do it at the start of Splash Garden so I had longer to (try to) keep a complete link going.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So far - about 6 hours into Ace Attorney 2, and I messed around with Mega Drive new NSO games and also did another round with Cruisn Blast because it is just unapologetic fun. And DLC next year!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's been ages since I played but if you collect 20 on foot before heading to the Ideya Palace you can make a beeline for the deposit box and kick the double points/gold gems phase in quicker. I think. It's not necessary, just stuck in my head as I always used to do it at the start of Splash Garden so I had longer to (try to) keep a complete link going.

I watched the world record run (allegedly) of Spring Valley on YouTube earlier.

I feel (even more) inadequate (than usual).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's been ages since I played but if you collect 20 on foot before heading to the Ideya Palace you can make a beeline for the deposit box and kick the double points/gold gems phase in quicker. I think. It's not necessary, just stuck in my head as I always used to do it at the start of Splash Garden so I had longer to (try to) keep a complete link going.

There is a mare in which doing that is optimal because the required blue orbs are really close to the start point - forget which. It means you bust the Ideya palace really quickly and you have max bonus time -  but my impression is you are better flying to gather blue orbs in most other levels....I could be wrong on that of course as I am no master of the game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I watched the world record run (allegedly) of Spring Valley on YouTube earlier. I feel (even more) inadequate (than usual).

There's a guy in the Saturn UK forums who is a WR holder. It's bonkers at that level. He busts 1m in a level that my best is 300K in!!  :)
  • davyK wrote:
    I watched the world record run (allegedly) of Spring Valley on YouTube earlier. I feel (even more) inadequate (than usual).

There's a guy in the Saturn UK forums who is a WR holder. It's bonkers at that level. He busts 1m in a level that my best is 300K in!!  :)

I’ll be honest, I didn’t like the way he/she played in the video I watched. It’s hard to explain, but it didn’t seem graceful to me (might be just envy on my part of course), but the trick ribbon technique was borderline cheating. However, I am going to try it, as the only achievement I’m missing is the one for performing 12 tricks in the time limit ;)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - that glitch on the stunts is probably a cheat - but it only works in that level where you are bouncing off the ceiling - so I'm a bit shrug on that. I hear it's fixed in ports.

The glitch is in mare 2:-
  • davyK wrote:
    Aye - that glitch on the stunts is probably a cheat - but it only works in that level where you are bouncing off the ceiling - so I'm a bit shrug on that. I hear it's fixed in ports.

The glitch is in mare 2:-

That’s pretty much the same glitch, although I saw it in on Spring Valley and the player went from the ground, up the the ‘ceiling’ to complete it.

The performance in your video of mare 1 was beautiful, I’ve only managed to achieve complete loops of a level in Soft Museum.
  • Nights and DKR must have some of the best ever Xmas style vgm.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You play mare 1 in Xmas Nights' Link attack mode over and over with no timer - best I've got is about 230 links.

Someone got over 1000....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Nights and DKR must have some of the best ever Xmas style vgm.

Christmas Nights music wins.
  • The snow level in Banjo is good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My dude there's like 3
  • I often have this in me head at regular times tbh, but especially at Xmas:

• @reg
    Oh yeah.
    Freezeezy Peak I was thinking if.

Click Clock is genius in general.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I often have this in me head at regular times tbh, but especially at Xmas:

That is a great one. Wifey bought me DKR for Christmas back in '98.  :)  What a game that was. Blew MK64 out of the water.
  • Just unlocked the DREAMY !!! achievement! After all these years.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That the big stunt combo one??  I know very little about the stunts really.
  • I used the glitch. I’m not ashamed lol.

It was the final achievement I needed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!