Animal Crossing New Horizons - Switch
  • There’s a good reason to keep your fruit as eating it lets you dig up trees with a spade.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sadly the "share the resoruces" thing is kind of embedded in Animal crossing, since the N64/GC days. I don't thinkt hey'll ever change it, because it's agains the philosophy of the game. Can be a drag though. In more positive news, it's a delightful looking game to look at. Ninty really know how to make things look just so. Even the openings to tents/houses just have a sublimely subtle gradient to them that looks utterly perfect.

Yeah, it's an impressively charming and pretty game. 

And, I'm not too bothered about the resources thing, but then again I was kinda used to that from previous installments.

However, one thing I really don't like is Player 2 progression, which is pure hot garbo. I started my island and did some stuff, got some recipes, and eventually managed to pay off the Tent. I intentionally left fruit, wood and rocks for the wife. 

But, whereas I was able to get the axe recipe quite quickly, she couldn't. Player 2 has to buy the axe. It seems certain progression for the first week or so in-game is locked behind whoever is Player One. 

That's annoying, but it also makes it harder for her to earn Nook Miles, as her DIY recipes are fewer. This delays Nook Miles +, and so on.

I felt genuinely bad - had I known that would have happened I would have asked her to start the island. She's never played it before and whereas Player 1 is herded to perform certain tasks, player 2 gets Put up Tent, Make a Fishing Rod, lol you're on your fucking own. At least, that's how it seems. 

It's...kinda shitty.
  • Balls, that's not good. I started this last night with me as player 1 and my wife as player 2 so we're going to be in the exact same boat.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Balls, that's not good. I started this last night with me as player 1 and my wife as player 2 so we're going to be in the exact same boat.

Yar - gonna delete the file. Gonna start fresh tomorrow and let my wife do the main progression until it opens up for both of us.
  • As an example, player 2 can't give insects to Tom Nook in order to unlock the museum. Wasn't an issue, because i'd actually already done that but...yeah, there's many things like that.
  • Wait, can you craft an axe, bury it/leave it somewhere for her to get? Is that still a thing?
  • Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    Islanders: A cat and Tybalt
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Left Nate for two minutes and I think he's named the island jerld. "Does that say Gerald?" Sort of son. I hope you can rename it.

Apples here, with Rocket the ape and Rudy the cat. Not that we've got Nintendo Online like, so it's irrelevant.
  • Haha. You cannot rename the island
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I appear to have done pretty much everything I can do for today.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I have opened my gate, will only be for 15 minutes or so
  • Is anyone available to swap some fruit this eve?
  • Friend code: SW-6853-9729-3191

The missus and I have been playing together from the start and haven't really had any problems apart from the museum thing. A little annoying. The other thing is you can't do the mystery tours together. The rest is absolutely fine. She has found DIY recipes for stuff for I haven't yet, and vice versa. We've nearly racked up fifteen hours already lol!!!!

It's just bliss in these current times. Never seen her so into a game before. She's buying a switch!!!
  • I will be. What time? I’ve got cherries, you?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Hodgepodge wrote:
    Is anyone available to swap some fruit this eve?

I’ll be on later.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • mk64 wrote:
    I will be. What time? I’ve got cherries, you?

Cherries also! Will have peaches and coconuts in a few days...
  • In a few days I'll have oranges, pears, cherries and coconuts! I'll be raking it in
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • My gates will be open in 5 for anyone who needs apples.
  • Been at work all day. I should have taken my Switch for lunch break.

Lots of catching up to do really.

Friend code: SW-8338-6179-2108
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I’ve just grabbed apples! What’s the name of your town? Need cherries?
  • Daddy what’s your fc?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Name: Jonno
    Island: Jimbletty
    Fruit: Apples (and pears soon when I get a shovel)
    Islanders: Deidre and Cobb
    Friend Code: SW-8000-6134-3356

• Cool just sent a friend request.

Can we amend the OP to any tips and friends native etc?
  • Thanks daddy
  • Cheer for the peach. Was the boy playing, “someone just came out of the airport and jumped over the river!”
  • Frosty wrote:
    Balls, that's not good. I started this last night with me as player 1 and my wife as player 2 so we're going to be in the exact same boat.

Done some reading up - your wife should be able to buy recipes after you unlock them. Story progression will be P1, though.

Your wife will be able to donate to the museum, but she will not be able to build buildings, upgrade buildings, build bridges etc. it seems. It’s the mayoral system, but in a game where multiple people share one island.

Baffling.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Cheer for the peach. Was the boy playing, “someone just came out of the airport and jumped over the river!”

Yes I left everything though. Didn’t pick the weeds etc. Took three apples. Wrote a message on your bulletin board. Welcome to mine anytime
  • Opened my gates now, and left the Switch plugged in to charge. There's a few cherries by the airport. If anyone has a peach or two to spare, it would be most appreciated!
  • Cheers for the visit Hodge!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Just realised Hodge’s avatar is from Submarine. Great movie, that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!