How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • Contribution limit is 40K a year?! Christ that's generous.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Of course the other massive benefit I didn't mention (because I can't take advantage of it) is that most workplaces have pension schemes where they will top-up more to your contributions: usually more than you put in yourself! So you'll put in say 5% and your employer will add 8%. Now only your contribution attracts the tax relief at marginal rate but that's still a jolly nice top-up

Does any employer actually make contributions that high? I’ve only had two employers since it became law for SMEs to offer company pension schemes. The first matched contributions up to a max of 5%. My current place match up to a max of 3%. I could choose to put aside a higher percentage of my salary, but they’d still only add 3%.
  • Aviva do 12% on top of an 8% contribution
  • Wow. I guess that’s just us lot in the creative industries getting fucked again. Small companies and an employer’s market = no incentive for them to offer better.
  • Thanks Funk.

RE workplace pensions. I would pay in as much as I need to to maximise employer contributions. Free money!

I'm pretty bad at putting money aside reliably for an ISA, so have been using Chip for a while. It's an app that works out how much I can afford each month based on my spending and income and it takes small amounts out each week and invests the money directly into an ISA wrapped fund. If anyone would like a referral code, let me know. We both get £15 if you go on to use it.
  • Civil service here, so I can’t complain about pension. I pay in 5.45%, they pay in 27%.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Military here, I pay in nothing and get a final salary pension, which I can start claiming next year if I wanted.
  • Contribution limit is 40K a year?! Christ that's generous.

Lifetime limit of £1M or thereabouts may change with inflation
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Civil service here, so I can’t complain about pension. I pay in 5.45%, they pay in 27%.

This amazing on the face of it deal was of course the only way they could stop mass strikes at civil service when they stopped new entrants to the defined benefit schemes
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Civil service here, so I can’t complain about pension. I pay in 5.45%, they pay in 27%.

I mean, wow. I can see why some people shift into the public sector.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    GMC is great, I pay 1% (lol), they pay 15%.
  • I really need to sort myself a pension pot. I've had various workplace ones over the years but no idea where or how they all eventually amalgamate when the time comes. 

But i've been self employed for a while and haven't paid anything in recently, I was actually a bit oblivious to the tax benefits. Someone point me in the right direction?
  • Go north.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • *runs away*
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Employer pension contribution is about the only thing going down when I move job - think bigger places tend to be more generous. Microsoft were up to 8% I think, new place is only 3%.
  • Help! Too busy saving, but for bloody house funds rather than retirement.
  • You and me both mate. I’ll have to resort to crime when I retire.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

This amazing on the face of it deal was of course the only way they could stop mass strikes at civil service when they stopped new entrants to the defined benefit schemes

Technically we’re not really paying into anything more than a promise to get a payment back as and when we want to claim it…there’s not really a pot of money building up anywhere for us, it’s all part of the government’s big ledger book.

Also, it wasn’t just new starters taken off the defined benefit schemes - they took all of us off it…well, technically they froze us at a moment in time (April 2015) and changed the pension age for the new scheme (alpha) to National Pension age (currently 68) instead of 60.

The McCloud judgment means we can now claim seven of those years as being in either scheme with everyone in the new one from April 2022 but it still makes it a big change of terms and conditions for some of us that have been in service for a while.
  • I should probably figure out how my teacher's pension works...
  • Just stick loads in is the general rule.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    I really need to sort myself a pension pot. I've had various workplace ones over the years but no idea where or how they all eventually amalgamate when the time comes. 

But i've been self employed for a while and haven't paid anything in recently, I was actually a bit oblivious to the tax benefits. Someone point me in the right direction?

https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details

Chuck in old employers etc, find the contact details.
  • GMC is great, I pay 1% (lol), they pay 15%.

That is ace. Fuck crypto you madman.
  • So i've finally pulled my finger out, set up an account, sorted a regular direct debit and put a bit of cash in. Now i'm almost scared off by the amount of different funds and investments. How do you pick something?
  • I like the Vanguard funds, they are low cost and well spread out and offer a lot of choice. For a simple fire-and-forget, the life strategy funds are attractive at 0.23%ish total cost (plus your platform cost, don't forget), see here for more:

https://www.vanguard.co.uk/professional/investment-capabilities/multi-asset/lifestrategy

The way it works: the younger you are / further from retirement, the more equity they recommend in your fund. There's a relatively new version, called SustainableLife, which comes in 40%-50%, 60%-70% or 80%-90% equity amounts. If you're more than 20 years from retirement then likely the best performing will be the 80%-90% version over that time. You reduce share price volatility as you approach retirement by moving into the lower equity funds. Note the sustainable ones are more actively managed so you end up paying 0.5%ish per year, a substantial increase, but that's what it takes to be sustainable (low / non investment in fossil fuels, weapons, tobacco etc)
  • The TL;DR is:

- high equity ratio of fund compared to other asset classes (bonds, currency, property etc)
    - low cost fund (crucial. overall annual cost of your pension pot should be no more than 0.5% imo and you can definitely get lower)
    - global exposure in fund's equity, especially post Brexit (uk weighting is imo a bad thing right now)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    UBS S&P 500 Index Fund C Accumulation

If you want to keep it supper simple
  • How do people know about any of his stuff? Did your parents teach it to you? Or was it covered in school?

• There isn’t an acronym in this thread I understand. I know that a pension is something old people get but that’s literally it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I just listen to SG.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!