Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's pretty depressing that 25 grand in a pension pot seemingly translates to getting 70 quid a month. You really do need quite a big pot to be able to live off it, huh?
  • Yes. I mean it makes sense: this is supposed to be your main source of income after retirement. A £100k pension, if you retire at 67 and start using it to pay yourself an income, comes to £6ish K a year if you live into your mid eighties. Less if you live longer obvs.

That’s if you leave it invested and simply pay yourself out of it; buying an annuity would be different.

So with state pension you’re looking at living off something like £15-18k per year in today’s money. Best make sure you’re not still renting / paying off a mortgage eh?

Personal pensions start to get interesting around the £200k mark. Which a tiny fraction of working adults has. Pensions bomb is going to explode soon enough.
  • The days of buying a brand new Jag and setting off on a cruise around the tropics are certainly over for us regular folk.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Yes. I mean it makes sense: this is supposed to be your main source of income after retirement. A £100k pension, if you retire at 67 and start using it to pay yourself an income, comes to £6ish K a year if you live into your mid eighties. Less if you live longer obvs. That’s if you leave it invested and simply pay yourself out of it; buying an annuity would be different. So with state pension you’re looking at living off something like £15-18k per year in today’s money. Best make sure you’re not still renting / paying off a mortgage eh? Personal pensions start to get interesting around the £200k mark. Which a tiny fraction of working adults has. Pensions bomb is going to explode soon enough.

This scares me more than anything. My gen went through a boom time and many didnt take advantage and have no property (still renting) and no major savings. Future gens seem to have less chance to get onto property lader or build up pensions (obviously not all, some people have done very well). I dread whats coming because I dont think there is a solution.
    SFV - reddave360
  • To be honest, with no kids and hardly any extended family our plan is to work until our mortgage is paid off (still many many years away yet) and then use equity release to give us retirement income. Can’t really see any other way for us. That’s our own fault for choosing to max out the kind of house etc we can have right now. If we’d been sensible and stuck with a little beige box in surburbia we’d be looking at early retirement already by now.
  • I don't know much about equity release. Does it involve selling off a a portion of your home to release the cash? I'd always assumed I would just move somewhere cheaper / downsize instead, but good to know options.

LivDiv wrote:
    The days of buying a brand new Jag and setting off on a cruise around the tropics are certainly over for us regular folk.

I've just learnt to sail, so gonna go for a cheap boat and a Ford Fiesta.
  • Yeah you basically say when you are dead the equity release people get your home.

In return they give you a lump of money calculated off what it's worth today. You pay a small amount of 'rent' every year, a nominal amount really.

Given how house prices have been in recent decades it's been a real money spinner as far as I can tell.

My grandparents did it. Got about £75k for their house which was alright at the time. By the time they both passed away the house was worth easily £250k. They were paying about £500 a year rent.
  • Equity release works so long as you stay in the house. If you want to move you’re quite fucked.
  • I've still got 20 years working to win the lottery, that's my plan...I'll have been doing it 50 years by then so must be due a big win ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't have a single penny of savings. Am gonna be fucked by the time I'm older. Give a fuck anyhoo.
  • That was a delayed double post! Is the forum being a bit funky today for anyone else?
    Each post takes an age or gives an error
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It's pretty depressing that 25 grand in a pension pot seemingly translates to getting 70 quid a month. You really do need quite a big pot to be able to live off it, huh?

Your pension is almost certainly invested mostly in the UK and that'll not end well post-Brexit. You should think about doing it yourself to an extent which is what this thread is about.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I don't have a single penny of savings. Am gonna be fucked by the time I'm older. Give a fuck anyhoo.

we’ll always be here for you bud
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Is that all you have right now? When did you start saving? I started late. At age 35 I think. Before that, I literally needed every penny I earned in order to stay afloat so couldn’t put anything away. Mine is sitting at £120k right now. I used to make extra contributions a month but not anymore. Will start again as doing better financially now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's my Microsoft pot, from when I worked for them. I have a pre pot and a post pot and a side pot too but fuck knows what they're all up too really. Should probably rationalise it a bit but something something diversification, plus cba
  • That’s not diversification. It’s probably paying too much in fees for at least one of your pots, and not taking advantage of lower platform fees at certain pot values (most providers of SIPPs will charge lower % annual fee over a certain amount of ££ saved)

Get everything into one pot if you can, or everything old / side into one pot plus your current employer (often not massively flexible), then choose the right low cost diversified investment tracker fund
  • But you knew all that and were just trying to trigger me on a Sunday afternoon typical muzzy
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But that sounds like hassle to arrange. I barely know the account details for each let alone how to move stuff between them or which of them would be the best one to put stuff in. And what if one like goes bust or something?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe I should hire funk to be my pension advisor and sort the admin
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But that sounds like hassle to arrange. I barely know the account details for each let alone how to move stuff between them or which of them would be the best one to put stuff in. And what if one like goes bust or something?

You could get an advisor to sort it out and consolidate onto one platform (then cut them loose afterwards). I did this.

hylian_elf wrote:
    I started late. At age 35 I think. Before that, I literally needed every penny I earned in order to stay afloat so couldn’t put anything away. Mine is sitting at £120k right now. I used to make extra contributions a month but not anymore. Will start again as doing better financially now.

Sounds like good going! How long had you paid in to get to that figure? I am going to go hard for the next 3 years, after which I'm not sure what will happen with my contract situation at work. At least if I have a break after that I will have accounted for a gap in payments. I figure better to pay in sooner and benefit from any compounding interest.
  • I paid in extra from age 34 to around 40, stopped the additionals conts when we bought a house and needed all the cash.  I'm about to be 44.  My employer pays in 10% of my salary, I pay 5%.  Not too bad.
  • Yeah, that's a good employer contribution. Sounds like you are in a decent position going forwards.

I'm self-employed at the mo so have to pay it all myself. All tax-free though obvs.
  • Tax deductible yes but still your (company’s) cash. Having an employer pay extra towards your pension is one of the main advantages of being perm.

Muzz. I’d do this for free but for you, mate’s rates of £500 per hour
  • Yeah. Agree. It would be the main thing I’d look for after salary in a perm role. It’s free money after all!

• acemuzzy wrote:

Don't you just tell the one you want them in what the details are for the others and they do it?
  • Yeah, just tell e.g. Pension Bee who you have your pensions with that you want to combine, give them your personal details and written authority to deal on your behalf, and they'll sort the rest.  Or something like that.  I've never done it myself.
  • That is correct. £500 please Muzz
  • Ace, I can tell you that and will just charge you £450 for it.
  • Calling muzzy Ace is not going to be a thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!