Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Robbed.

Disgraceful
  • Lol Nvidia shares are up 50,000% since they floated.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Always worth having a quick review at the end of the year. 2022 was pretty bad but 2023 has been great. Everyone that's been a good boy and has been putting cash in on a monthly basis should be sitting pretty. All that cash you put in during the grim 2022 has borne fruit and 2023 S&P is up just shy of 25%, and don't forget the dividends you can add to that. It's vital you put in during the good and bad years because the graph always tends up.

You can never fully predict the year ahead but the USA should be just fine. It's shoring up its manufacturing and the move towards isolationism should continue. The rest of the world isn't looking great but stick with the US - as always, and that pension pot will grow. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2023/12/26/sp-500-notches-fresh-2-year-high-how-2023s-rally-compares-to-recent-years/?sh=1afad28e5a60
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I've had a great year and it's all thanks to this page; so thanks SpaceGazelle!

I transferred my two old work pensions (one of which had a sizable amount of cash in it) into a SIP with Hargreaves & Landsdown.  Stuck it into a UBS S&P 500 (accumulator) and since June, it's up 7.5% and has made me (well to my eyes anyway!) eyewatering return.

My ISA (with low hundreds in as I needed to cash some out earlier in the year to pay for some unexpected bills) is sitting at 12.5% up which is great.  This is S&P 500, HL US Fund and Vanguard US Equity.

Finally, my Gregg's shares are sitting at 81% profit (bought in the pandemic) and my Virgin Galactic Shares (bought with some of the spoils from my Gregg's shares!) are sitting at -93% profit.....cant win them all I suppose!!
  • Remember that'll you'll end up making more money from the S&P in bad years when you bought cheap. This is the beauty of long-term monthly investments. 2022 might've seemed alarming for new investors but it'll make you more cash then buying during a good year and the secret is not to panic. I love the bad years - the worse the better, as long as they go back up which the S&P will. Also the cheaper the tracker fund the better so make sure you're not being overcharged, they all do the same thing.

Individual companies are always a risk and should be avoided unless you've spare cash to gamble. Some S&P companies had a terrible year but that's usually the case. It's fine because you spread the risk. AI was the big money maker this year but we shouldn't really care what sector is because we're buying into 500 companies and it'll even itself out. The US is arguably stronger than it's been for decades now it's less reliant on riskier economies. It'll have good and bad years but it'll only get stronger.

Climate change will be the biggest driver of economic outlook for everybody over the coming decades and we'll have to see how that pans out. What the US does have is enormous amounts of land so it can adapt even if California and Texas go on fire.
  • They'd have to give up beefburgers though. Where's your sense of freedom?
  • I think i need to move mine to a diff provider, perhaps that Hargreaves one that I've seen mentioned a few time. The one i setup with doesn't have built in support for automated contributions and i think charges higher for transactions, so it's basically just been sat with the lump i put in years ago.
    Figure i cash out that one and put it all into the Hargreaves one and then set up a monthly £50 to go in?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Hargreaves is known to be expensive. Just grab one from here:

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/195294/how-to-pick-a-fund-supermarket.aspx

Yes, set up a monthly deposit.
  • I'm wondering whether to reduce UK exposure in my pension as it's currently sat at about 20%. I have eyes on a different fund that will maximise US (Vanguard Global All Capp Acc). Just not sure whether to wait a year as some feel that UK is undervalued.

Although UK growth is extremely mediocre right now is it made up for to some extent in dividend payout? Wondering whether to leave it for another year or just act now. Maybe 20% ain't too bad a weighting?
  • 20% is ok I guess but why bother when you might have to actively manage it? Dividend might be good but is that because of the energy companies? I'd set and forget an S&P 500. Less stress and more money long-term. The S&P tracker is diversified enough.
  • I won't have to manage it. I invest into one global fund that has too much uk weighting (imo). Don't fancy going all in on S&P but the global fund I'm looking at is majority US.
  • Why not go all in on an S&P? It's perfect. Low risk high reward and it always has been.
  • I mean, Russia could nuke the States but if America goes down it'll take all every economy with it.
  • Why not go all in on an S&P? It's perfect. Low risk high reward and it always has been.

I may start a side investment to the S&P outside of my pension. ISA wrapped obvs. Just wary of throwing my entire pension into one market. Not everyone agrees with your view on S&P investing, but don't get me wrong it looks like it's been the place to put your money over the last year and I want a bit more exposure.
  • As long as it's long term the S&P is a no-brainer. Always America for investing and in the AI era it's going to dominate, like it always has.
  • Who doesn't agree with investing in the S&P btw? Just curious but that seems insane to me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Are they not all evil capitalist / petro brands that you despise?
  • Pretty much, though I don't despise capitalism per se. Might as well take their profits and hope some company more ethical takes their place.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I still need to consolidate my three pensions into one place, but it's tedious if that one place isn't where my current pension is being paid, and I cba to move that.  So I'll probably continue to do nothing and hope they each grow over time... I'm sure an actual pension adviser would tell me I'm an idiot tho.

I forgot I also had an ISA ticking up too, so that's nice.  I fear that's not going to bring my retirement forward any, tho...
  • My general idea is to hope everyone gets stocks and shares and then everyone owns everything. Communist capitalism.
  • There are ethical funds.
    Funk is your man for those.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I still need to consolidate my three pensions into one place, but it's tedious if that one place isn't where my current pension is being paid, and I cba to move that.  So I'll probably continue to do nothing and hope they each grow over time... I'm sure an actual pension adviser would tell me I'm an idiot tho.

I forgot I also had an ISA ticking up too, so that's nice.  I fear that's not going to bring my retirement forward any, tho...

Aldermore are offering one at 5.18% if that's interesting to anyone.
  • But the share price doesn't affect the day to day business of a company so it matters little tbh. You need political change to make the bad ones suffer. Arms companies are having a field day since the Ukraine invasion and no amount of ethical investing is going to change that. The other option is to just hope people don't work for horrible companies but that's a pipe dream I guess.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But the share price doesn't affect the day to day business of a company.

Yes it does
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But the share price doesn't affect the day to day business of a company.
    Yes it does

How?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Via the incentives (and indeed law) the board are subject to. Their strategy, and to some extent tactics, after dictated by it, and their decisions often react to its movements. Stakeholder pressures are real even for CEOs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!