Microsoft Flight Simulator - PC/Series X-S/Cloud
  • I'm talking in general. The MS Gamespass PC store is woeful. It makes me want to just play my Steam stuff.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Well that's me finally got them all anyway.
  • Yeah it wasn't downloading for me unless I was actually in game, it wasn't downloading in the background at all.

My favourite thing to do in this game though, now that I've found out how to switch the engine off on most planes, is just turn everything off and try and glide to safety, the engine, the battery and alternator, everything. It's good fun.
  • You can enable failures that will occur after a certain amount of time, if you look in the aircraft settings before you fly.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just flew over Pyongyang then attempted to land at a North Korean military airport, so I guess that's me put on a list.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • E7kiFg0.png

I very highly recommend jumping in a small plane and attempting to navigate to somewhere using only maps and visual navigation with your compass, it's so incredibly rewarding when you struggle over mountains and through towering clouds and catch a glimpse of the area you were hoping to find. Turn off all the assists and markers too and make it fully realistic, makes it that much more thrilling.
  • For a challenge try flying through the grand canyon skimming the river, with weather on storm! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Think I have cocked up somewhere.

I went with the recommended streaming settings as I thought my internet is pretty decent, however flying over most of the UK looks like Beruit to me. I've not downloaded any offline packs but sounds like I probably should have?

I went into settings yesterday but it isn't obvious if I can change it to offline mode. What settings did everyone else go for?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I used streaming mode but have downloaded the UK pack. However I've not really done any flying over main parts of the uk to judge how it looks
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Ah, I didnt know you could do both.

Dantes picture of Old Trafford clearly highlighted that I'm doing something wrong.
  • Terrain quality often varies greatly from area to area, depends on how good the aerial coverage and resolution is.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Ah, I didnt know you could do both.

Dantes picture of Old Trafford clearly highlighted that I'm doing something wrong.

Old Trafford is in the UK World Update pack - sounds like you need to download that. If you go on the Marketplace in the main menu you can find it in both Free and World Update. I think most people have found they need to leave the Xbox running on the download screen to get it to download without interruption.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Done the New York discovery flight yesterday and the streets seem to have been overtaken by trees. Was like an aerial view post apocalypse.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yeah, I noticed that last time I went there. Not been since downloaded the US update though.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    Ah, I didnt know you could do both.

Old Trafford is in the UK World Update pack - sounds like you need to download that. If you go on the Marketplace in the main menu you can find it in both Free and World Update. I think most people have found they need to leave the Xbox running on the download screen to get it to download without interruption.

Wonderful, thanks ERE much appreciated!
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I just flew over Pyongyang then attempted to land at a North Korean military airport, so I guess that's me put on a list.

On this note, has anyone flew over Area 51 yet? Do you get shot down?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You immediately turn into a weather balloon.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’ve actually just stuck an airport there. You can land if you want.

• Anyone flown the Bermuda Triangle yet?
  • Something tells me the spartan, generic buildings that would be auto generated for North Korea would actually look like that in real life!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm really disappointed because my local houses are all shitty little barns from a '90s PC game. I just wanted a drone edition of Google Earth, which I thought it covered.
  • Did you install the UK world update from the in game marketplace? Even with those there will always be areas of lower detail, it's only really major cities that have the proper photogrammetry at this point. They will gradually improve coverage and the quality of autogen stuff at least, it's a very scalable design.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, I downloaded all five world updates. As someone who just wants to explore I find Google Maps more immersive because it's real, but that obviously doesn't have a drone mode.

This does a wonderful job with terrain, but the exploratory immersion I wanted it for's broken by egregiously wrong buildings. My local gliding club has a shed that's a feckin' factory in this!

I'd much rather low-poly models of real buildings than nicer-looking barns. Because they're barns! Glastonbury Tor has no St Michael's Tower, for example. At least get it right for overheads, even if the sides are painted on.
  • Map the whole planet accurately, pls devs. Most of us are playing this for free, we expect better.
  • Did you install the UK world update from the in game marketplace? Even with those there will always be areas of lower detail, it's only really major cities that have the proper photogrammetry at this point. They will gradually improve coverage and the quality of autogen stuff at least, it's a very scalable design.

Escape lives in the arse end of nowhere, so barring a dramatic breakthrough in the technology, or Bill Gates going insane and spending all his money on photogrammetry for this his area will likely remain looking shit.
  • My place is the same I guess. Buildings are in the right places but are completely the wrong types of buildings. Farmhouses are represented as factories, etc. It’s still pretty impressive nonetheless.
  • They use AI to look at the 2D image data and combine it with known data about buildings and the area to auto generate 3D models that are a best guess of what should really be there -

FWIW you can submit a request for something to be looked at or improved, and/or start a thread on the forums about it. They have previously said that they are looking for people to help out with making the world look as accurate as possible, and have said how they changed things like trees around some airports based on real photos that people have sent in. So if something looks totally whack you could take some good real/sim comparison pics and they'll probably use that to help improve the autogeneration in the future, or they can go in and manually tweak some things.

I'd say that right now though they are probably very busy with more basic issues and major additions to work on the small stuff, but eventually they might get around to it.
  • Some of the houses I know look far fancier in this so I'm ok with that. A local apartment block is almost perfectly recreated so I dunno if someone in there is contributing. The huge Intel site beside the GA airport I used to frequent does not appear to exist in this.

It's still fun to buzz around in a plane. 

Has anyone requested an ILS approach to an airport? For some reason they required altitudes way too high for the way points and I couldn't get the plane down quick enough to land.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!