Microsoft Flight Simulator - PC/Series X-S/Cloud
  • Haven't quite hit the magic 10 yet, but here's the Darkstar doing a little over mach 9.

darkstar.png
  • Huh, picture went ickle.
  • Screenshots of this game make me want to give it more time, and I'm sure I will really like it once I have beaten the content manager. I think my previous downloads were during a bout of first-months-of-gamepass syndrome, exacerbated by a small amount of space on my hard drive, too many games to play and a craving for more instant gratification than this seemed to offer.

I presume these recent screenshots are DLC. People playing and really enjoying this: have you done the tutorials and learnt to fly etc, or do you take pleasure from just casually figuring things out on the go?
  • That image is from the Maverick DLC, which is free.  Gurt's on PC and I think some of his aircraft (e.g. the glider) may be paid for.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Screenshots of this game make me want to give it more time, and I'm sure I will really like it once I have beaten the content manager. I think my previous downloads were during a bout of first-months-of-gamepass syndrome, exacerbated by a small amount of space on my hard drive, too many games to play and a craving for more instant gratification than this seemed to offer. I presume these recent screenshots are DLC. People playing and really enjoying this: have you done the tutorials and learnt to fly etc, or do you take pleasure from just casually figuring things out on the go?

this
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I presume these recent screenshots are DLC. People playing and really enjoying this: have you done the tutorials and learnt to fly etc, or do you take pleasure from just casually figuring things out on the go?

Most of the planes I've been flying recently are 3rd party free or paid downloads. The Discus glider should be available on the Xbox marketplace soon hopefully, maybe at the end of this month. Currently 90% of the time I'm gliding, it's just the most enjoyable way to experience the world and offers an actual challenge to me now that I've figured out flying with most small planes and navigating visually. I've mostly just learnt how to fly by figuring it out as I go, and picking up things by listening to and flying with other people.

I think I did a couple of the tutorials when it first came out, but once you understand the basics and the common controls you can fly pretty much anything with a bit of practice. For some more complex planes I'll read up a bit from the pilot's manuals, like the WW2 stuff, the Spitfire and P-38L. I definitely recommend setting everything to realistic and try to make succesful flights in the live weather, it can be very rewarding.

Half of the time I'll be flying solo with some in flight entertainment on my second monitor, and with a group the other half. Last night I had a really fun time trying to keep up with pack of bush planes as they flew some mountain river valleys while I was soaring fast above them on the peaks and ridges in a glider.

One of the really nice things about MSFS is that there are many different ways to approach it, just as a chilled out sightseeing simulator in a small GA plane, or a hardcore training aid in a big jet at the other extreme. Personally I don't care too much for the tubeliner experience, too much time spent in autopilot with your head buried in the flight computers and not looking outside with your hands on the stick/yoke, actually flying the thing.
  • Haven't watched the announcement but according to EG the following are coming in the next free update.  No R-22.  Boo.

Historical Aircraft

[ul][li]Wright Flyer[/li][li]Ryan NYP (“Spirit of St. Louis”)[/li][li]Douglas DC-3[/li][li]De Havilland Canada DHC-2-Beaver[/li][/ul]

Helicopters

[ul][li]Bell-407[/li][li]Guimbal Cabri G2[/li][/ul]

Gliders

[ul][li]DG Flugzeugbau LG8-18[/li][li]DG Flugzeugbau DG1001E neo[/li][/ul]

True-to-Life Airliner

[ul][li]Airbus A310[/li][/ul]
    Also, apparently the Halo Pelican is available today.  I'd download it but my daughter is watching cartoons on the big TV.
  • Yeah I'm not fixing that.
  • Here I'll help -
    Here is just a small sampling of what simmers will find in the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition:

Historical Aircraft:

Wright Flyer
    Ryan NYP (“Spirit of St. Louis”)
    Douglas DC-3
    De Havilland Canada DHC-2-Beaver
    Helicopters:

Bell-407
    Guimbal Cabri G2
    Gliders:

DG Flugzeugbau LS8-18
    DG Flugzeugbau DG1001E neo

True-to-Life Airliner:

Airbus A310
    Many of these aircraft were made in collaboration with the best third-party developers including iniSimulations, MilViz, Bluemesh, Aeroplane Heaven, and others.

Great that there will be official helicopter and glider support, either type of aircraft are the best and most fun way to explore the world.
  • The historical ones should be fun.

I need to see how this works on xcloud.
  • New World Update!

Returns to America, with some pretty cool points of interest.
  • The Discus 2c glider is now available on the official Marketplace for Xbox and PC. I did some of the sounds for it.

IhnDVLi.png
  • Wait, they've finally added HELICOPTERS??
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Wait, they've finally added HELICOPTERS??

Yep!
    Now you too can fly an unstable whirly twirly bastard
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS
  • 54GB update is go.
  • I've spent the day at Shuttleworth museum watching historic and classic planes taking off so I've come home and reinstalled Flight Sim.

I must fly some of these!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!