The July 2020 Xbox Games Showcase of Only Games, For Gamers
  • Played all of them til... 4? Just didn't realise it was a big deal in the community.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The one thing I learned from all this Xbox stuff is apparently there is a very vocal and angry contingent of Halo fans out there who do not like that Master Chief can sprint, they feel it is a corruption of the whole game and has ruined Halo.
    They've been ranting about it for the best part of a decade mate.

I have remained blissfully unaware. A blessing.
  • A blessing indeed.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Is halo infinite aiming to be like fortnite? Playable on any format, any spec? Maybe that's what they are going for?

Something like fortnight is to the epic store aye. MS is likely aiming for it to be the mp hotspot to draw gamers to Live. Think Dota2 for Steam.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I’m the opposite, been playing frequently recently with friends on H2 and H3 and the players are too slow.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’m the opposite, been playing frequently recently with friends on H2 and H3 and the players are too slow.

Thats an argument to increase base movement speed, not adding sprint.

I think many Halo 3 playlists ended up with 125 or 150% base speed.
  • MLG settings in Halo 3 were damn good.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’m the opposite, been playing frequently recently with friends on H2 and H3 and the players are too slow.

Thats an argument to increase base movement speed, not adding sprint.

I think many Halo 3 playlists ended up with 125 or 150% base speed.

Yeah movement speed not sprint.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    It is weird that the halo people would buy a new console for a new halo. I can't imagine I would do the same with a new mario/splatoon/fucking anythjng probably on nintendo

Post of the decade

Is it a joke or something? Because I'm not getting it
  • I think he's saying he'll never buy another console from Nintendo or Microsoft, as he's all in on the PS5.
  • You need to add the word 'not' before 'weird' and remove the word 'can't' from the Nintendo bit to decipher the message. It's in support of the Halo crew for liking what they like, Shirley? With a spot of sarcasm.
  • Ok. This is really interesting watching this back in better quality with a bit of commentary.
    And what you start to realise is that...

1. A lot of these games are actually not advertised as being playable on current gen XBox.

2. A lot of these game are clearly not going to appear for really quite some time.

3. Everything they are showing you here is going to be available through your Gamepass subscription.

So, this rather suggests that the XBox strategy is to hook you into Gamepass right now, so that you are going to be obliged to upgrade your current generation machine for a Series X machine as time goes by.
    They don't expect the world and their Nan to run out and buy a SeriesX at launch. They're just trying to tie you into needing one a bit further down the line, and because you are subbed in on Gamepass, you will eventually make that purchase.

Anyhoo, I could be wrong, but that's my current take on what is still a very smoke and mirrors message from Microsoft. If I'm right, then it's certainly a very different approach, but it also seems incredibly risky.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    the XBox strategy is to hook you into Gamepass right now, so that you are going to be obliged to upgrade your current generation machine for a Series X machine as time goes by.

1000%

GamePass is insane value right now, but it won't stay that way forever

They're playing the long game
  • The difference between Game Pass and Netflix right now is saturation.
    Netflix has peaked.

Game Pass is hitting 10mil of 100mil plus potential subs.
  • What it needs before it reaches those numbers though is to be a simple, flawlessly executed, app that works every single time and is installed on every smart tv as standard.  Then it has a chance of those figures.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think g's take is valid, and about right. But the obvious gamble of it is that in a years time, PS5 could have a major lead over SeX. And that's bound to mean something, be it financial, or perception, or decisions devs might make. Sightly uncharted territory, but risky IMO.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I think g's take is valid, and about right. But the obvious gamble of it is that in a years time, PS5 could have a major lead over SeX. And that's bound to mean something, be it financial, or perception, or decisions devs might make. Sightly uncharted territory, but risky IMO.

If you're someone like ea or Activision who don't go on gamepass, you will need to see the series have some type of install base otherwise why release on that system - and I think MS still need fifa, cod, fortnite etc.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, if I'm right, then it's a hell of a gamble, and you also have to factor in how to counter every single commentator on the internet constantly harping on about how "no-one is buying seriesX, but dat PS5 is selling gangbusters!"That's a fucking difficult message to counter. Long game or not.
  • I can’t see Microsoft releasing series x sales figures.
  • Aye, that could well be a thing, but then they'll be battered for that too. It's hard to see how you can successfully PR your way round this apparent strategy.
  • Here's a proper trailer (with actual gameplay) of The Falconeer that was briefly shown in the pre-show indie sizzle reel. Got my fingers crossed for this one. "Holiday" 2020 for Xbox One, Series X, and PC.

• Talk about how many people are accessing Game Pass and the Xbox portal across all devices. Which to be fair are better aggregates than hardware sales.
  • The other interesting hot take I got from the MS presser was the Digital Foundry guys constantly (and legitimately) harping on about how "we don't know what this is even running on and MS aren't telling us."
    Now this could be an oversight or deliberate obfuscation by MS, but there's a third theory that I have, and that is that it's actually intentional. 
    The message is not which machine a game is running on (current generation, next generation, PC), but rather that the game is running on XBox Gamepass. Again though, this is a hell of a gamble.
  • g.man wrote:
    The message is not which machine a game is running on (current generation, next generation, PC), but rather that the game is running on XBox Gamepass. Again though, this is a hell of a gamble.

For what it's worth - nothing in that showcase made me wanna buy a Series X, but almost everything in that showcase made me wanna keep my Game Pass PC sub.
  • Maybe we're all assumming they are making a loss on the sale of the console. That definitely was the way for years, is it true now? I've no idea. There are plenty of companies out there selling customised gaming PC's at a profit. Isn't the Xbox Series X basically just a customised gaming PC? Maybe they dont make a loss on it, so who cares?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    During Jim Sterling's commentary of the Bone Showcase, he noted releasing very expensive hardware and pushing £70 'triple A games' might not be the best strategy for Sony, what with a global recession looming.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This is also true. Maybe Sony's hardware lead won't and up so big after all... BC important for both camps I imagine if it means free shinies once you have the box. And QoL stuff etc.
  • Here's a proper trailer (with actual gameplay) of The Falconeer that was briefly shown in the pre-show indie sizzle reel. Got my fingers crossed for this one. "Holiday" 2020 for Xbox One, Series X, and PC.

Still looks great. Is there a link for the sizzle reel? Can't find it on youtube.
  • Just seen some slightly more up to date Battletoads footage. I'd only seen last year's trailer. Got no affinity for the series, just always up for some throwback scrolling and punching, but it looks potentially atrocious.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!