Metroid Prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's an unranked favourite 100 games thread. If you submitted to that it should get you started. 

I'll bite again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
    Tekken felt like the ultimate beat-em-up game, but then Soul Blade/Edge arrived and threw weapons into the mix. And, later, this turned up. Not just arcade-perfect but actually better than arcade quality. Never bettered, not even by its own sequels.

The only fighter I ever got to grips with. And Yoshimitsu was just the coolest.
  • Tekken 3 (ps)
    Pokemon Red/Blue (gb)
    Final fantasy 7 (ps)
    Hollow Knight (sw)
    Bayonetta (360)

mentions: Balloon fight (nes) fallout 3 (360/PC) metal gear solid (ps) street fighter 2 (MD) shadow of the colossus (ps2) Super Mario 3 (nes) Moutan league football (MD)... crap there’s too many!

Edit: demons souls!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Two of those could sit on my list happily.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    May add reviews but these are in my 100 list with blurb.

Mushihimesama Futari
    Bust-A-Move 2
    F-Zero X
    Asteroids/Dx
    Super Mario World
  • 4, then 2, then 5 then 1 then 3. Never liked the number 3.
  • Breath of the wild
    Street fighter 2 anniversary edition
    ISS2000
    Outrun Coast to Coast
    Mario Maker 1/2
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Seeing breath of the wild on so many top 5s is really cool. I loved it, but just needed those ‘dungeons’ to be a bit more varied, and the story to be a bit more there... otherwise it is such a phenomenal game.

It’s just really nice to see recent games still jump onto people’s top 5.
  • poprock wrote:

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
    Tekken felt like the ultimate beat-em-up game, but then Soul Blade/Edge arrived and threw weapons into the mix. And, later, this turned up. Not just arcade-perfect but actually better than arcade quality. Never bettered, not even by its own sequels.

The only fighter I ever got to grips with. And Yoshimitsu was just the coolest.

Wait, Yoshimitsu wasn't in Soul Calibur. Also I still have Soul Calibur somewhere.
  • Not anymore, cos he just killed himself. Well, he is behind you, just dead.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Really?  Mitsurugi (?) was the closest analogue that I can remember in Soul Calibur.  Had a Katana but wasn't a robot.  I am stubbornly refusing to look this shit up fyi.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He was a crossover character alright. Or was that Voldo? Dammit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fake news.
  • That's just Mitsurugi with a silly mask.
  • Can see the top of Voldo's heed there

Happy days
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can see the top of Voldo's heed there

Happy days

I think the first thing I ever learned about you was your Voldo appreciation.

Let's just call it "appreciation" shall we.
  • Trials Evolution

We've been asked not to order these but this is absolutely no.1.  Much better handling than HD and a superb build-a-track mode that we absolutely rinsed for forum tourneys.  Fun fact: my IRL best mate had a reverse stroke - something to do with blood not leaving the brain - while we were playing a forum tournament (which he joined for).  He's been on warfarin since and whether it was caused by our ridiculously competitive Trials head to heads or not he was playing it when it happened, and one of the first things he said when he woke up in hospital, apparently, was 'tell Tim not to beat my time'.  So I stopped playing that week, which means he placed ahead of me on Spark Plug thanks to his next level guilt tripping.  It also means it's Sparky's fault in a roundabout way because he picked the rubbish electricity themed track iirc.  Anyway, funtimes and the best game ever.  He can laugh about it but hasn't played one properly since.  

Hollow Knight

Occasionally a game comes along that you're desperate to like but know full well you won't.  When I bought this my Metroidvania training montage would've been pretty short and I was still daunted by the prospect of blind exploration in any genre.  Based on what I'd read I'd like the mechanics but would bounce off the vastness of it all, preferring the old fashioned stage by stage arcade approach to games.  What actually happened was full and total addiction for maybe ten days.  At one point I played it for five hours in one sitting, which is deep vein thrombosis territory.  I loved everything about it and think it's an absolute bona fide masterpiece and easily the best game this gen.  I had no criticisms whatsoever. 

Shovel Knight

Just a perfect update of a few of my favourite childhood games.  For me it's Wonderboy in Monsterland with a Castle of Illusion bum bounce, chock full of secrets but straightforward in terms of level progression.  It would be on the list without any of the subsequently added DLC campaigns, (brilliant) challenge modes, co-op/vs stuff and extras; it was a [10] for me on 3DS, but all the add-ons are worth visiting.  Especially King of Cards.  A very special game for me, I'll buy everything the devs create forever. 

Super Meat Boy

The ultimate 2D platformer.  The control is perfect, as is much of the level design.  I wasn't good enough to full bandage it but I got through the light and dark worlds on 360, and more recently the light worlds on Switch.  It hasn't been surpassed, even though The End is Nigh and Celeste gave it a good go.  Plus it has a split screen race mode now, so it's even better than it was despite the fact that the OG music has been replaced.   

Ocarina of Time

I've only played this once but it was my favourite game for years and deserves to keep its place ahead of the upstarts that were threatening to trouble it when selecting my 5.  In many ways it was an even more impressive series evolution than Mario 64.  There have probably been better 3D Zelda games since but this one has all the big guns when it comes to memories.  Also happened to be the first Nintendo game I owned.  A truly remarkable achievement and still the template I would have requested instead of Breath of the Wild (which I've learned to adore too).
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Really?  Mitsurugi (?) was the closest analogue that I can remember in Soul Calibur.  Had a Katana but wasn't a robot.  I am stubbornly refusing to look this shit up fyi.

Oh FFS.

I looked it up and I meant Mitsurugi.

My bad.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Can see the top of Voldo's heed there

Happy days

I think the first thing I ever learned about you was your Voldo appreciation.

Let's just call it "appreciation" shall we.

He fights for his MASTER
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Trials is a seriously good call. It's an absolutely superb game - first thing I bought digitally for 360 and was simply astounded by it. I just haven't played it enough to make it in my 5.
  • I asked the boy today and his weren't that different to some here:

Breath of the Wild
    Hollow Knight
    Shovel Knight
    Super Metroid
    Mario Maker 2

He's only really ever known his Switch though.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • For players that get the most out of it Mario Maker 2 must be incredible. Especially now people can knit full worlds together.
  • Banjo Kazooie
    This will always be my number 1 I think, it is a time and place thing largely but the game is worthy of heaped praise none the less. Pure joy in a game. Come on MS, let the Lucky's Tale lot rehash.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    The pinnacle of the series in my opinion. By the third iteration they had included manuals (first in THPS2) then revert, this really made the combo potential open up to an insane level.
    The next gen tech of the PS2 allowed not just for better graphics but more detailed and larger levels. The extra disc space even allowed for throw away gags and unique to character animations. THPS is one of my favourite series in gaming but 3 really was the sweet spot, all the features with none of the guff that came later.

Timesplitters 2
    The people who brought you Goldeneye are back and this time you can play as a Cactus/Duck/Robot/Other Robot/Chinese Chef/Gingerbread man/Several zombies.

Brilliant gameplay. Full campaign. Bags of challenges and missions. Fantastic cartoon, chunky art style. It really is tragic they ended up making Haze and not a 360 gen Splitters.

Tetris Gameboy
    I know both Davy and MK can rattle off more feature rich versions of Tetris, possibly even better ones. Nothing compares to Tetris on the GB for me though. One of those few perfect launch releases for their host consoles that mainly only Nintendo do ( see Mario 64 and Wii Sports).

Bags of nostalgia here as well. Every time I play GB Tetris I can smell the sweets I was eating Xmas day 1990 when me and my bro got Gameboys from my grandparents. It has been there ever since as has my mint condition but German GB box. Every few years I will start up the Gameboy with Tetris and lose an evening. Simple yet addictive gameplay and quick restarts work well with a handheld and that snappy d pad and high contrast, sharp screen lend themselves to Tetris.
    A marriage made in heaven.

GTAV
    A game I bought 4 times really should not be ignored.
    I loved playing through the campaign and exploring the brilliant Los Santos. Then came the online, total garbage for the first few days of course but once the dust settled it was simply brilliant.
    I haven't laughed as hard playing an online game as I did playing GTAV online with mates.
    Particularly my mate Rich who bought a PS3 specifically to join in and hadn't played games since the PS1.
    Telling Rich to press Triangle to shoot rockets out the car only to see him dive out the car at 100mph.
    Taking a helicopter as high as the game would let us then bailing before Rich had unlocked parachutes.

The best was still the absolute impromptu scenes that would rival any Fast and Furious movie.

I wont say more so you can ignore the rest but I will leave my fave experience below.

A bunch of us were online mucking about. We started buzzing the prison in various aircraft. Everyone else was in lightweight craft and had to bail early. I was in a big cargo plane and managed to hold off police choppers for a while.
    Eventually I jumped out sending the plane into prison and a huge cloud of fire and devastation.

Parachuting down I take out a helicopter leaving just one in pursuit.
    I land on the back of a passing train and take cover. I exchange shots with the whirly bird for a while before the train enters a tunnel and I escape but facing a long journey into town.

Just then my housemate appears chasing the train. I jump off the back of the train onto the bonnet of his car. He slows down to let me in which happens to be at a break in the tunnel on a bridge. Just as I hop off the bonnet and try to enter the car another mate attempts to kamikaze us in a stunt plane, misses and wipes out on a bridge as we burn away in the car.

It was 100% unscripted, unplanned even by us players. Just a thing that happened and it was better than any scripted event I have played in a game and better than many choreographed stunts in movies. That is the magic of GTAV to me, the tools are there for that to happen and it remains my greatest moment in gaming.
  • GB Tetris is still one of the best for sure
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!