Review your top 5
  • Tekken 3 seems so highly rated and regarded. How did it improve on 2? I played that to death and so much that I didn’t want to play another Tekken.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Reg who did u main in Tekken 3

Paul, Eddy, Mokujin
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Tekken 3 seems so highly rated and regarded. How did it improve on 2? I played that to death and so much that I didn’t want to play another Tekken.

Tekkeb 3 increased the number of individual character moves and combos exponentially, and was as arcade perfect as it came. Both 1 and 2 suffered from some awkward clipping, although 2 was better, meaning moves wouldn't register.

3 was really the first time a 3D fighting game made perfect sense and controlled as absolutely cleanly as a 2D one.
  • I'm sure I've done this kind of list before, and I think it might go a little like this.

Batman: Arkham City
    I've had this on xbox 360, PS3 (after I sold my 360) wii U and PC. I downloaded it but never got to it when it was on gamepass (life got in the way). This game is just perfect to me. Not only do I really like the story, missions, gameplay and graphics but its the score attack nature of the combat rooms that really pushed it over the edge. The amount of restarts I did to get a perfect run on every room was ridiculous... But I think I loved every moment of it

Halo : CE
    Maybe its because I've been romping through Halo 4 and 5 these last few weeks, but Halo CE was the original FPS that I really enjoyed. Others were fun but Halo was different. And as such it broke most other single player games in the genre there after. Sure, it might be smoke and mirrors but the way the enemies react and interact and the fluid nature of the battles in it was wonderful. I've also always loved the pink lasers. I've no idea what the storyline is at this point but I'll certain give Halo infinite a go, Craig or no Craig.

Burnout 2
    Another game I had on multiple formats although not as much as Batman. The Zone I would get in playing this and trying to keep the Burnout count going was ridiculous. The Music was great and I really resented Burnout 3s licenced soundtrack, even though there were some actual good tunes. As much as Paradise is fun, I feel Burnout 2s more racing focus makes it the pinnacle of the series.

Geometry Wars 2 
    Someone said in another thread that this was a launch day must have for the 360. I wasnt there at launch but it was the first game I played on mine. Having played the original back when it was in the PGR, I was eager to see what the standalone game would be. I wasnt let down and its a real eye tearing experience. Beautiful to look at and get lost in, its a game I'd love to see on a state of the art OLED display.

Football Manager
    I'm not sure I'll ever not have a version of this on my laptop. Crack in game form, there always comes a point when you build a team and structure at a big club which makes you near unstoppable although I think FM20 is proving harder to crack when it comes to dominance. Guiding your team to the first big trophy is a buzz, but also looking back on the history of a favoured player is great too. 2006 was the only game in history were Michael Chopra became a Geordie God.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Arkham City is spectacular, and the best of the series for me.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Tekken 3 seems so highly rated and regarded. How did it improve on 2? I played that to death and so much that I didn’t want to play another Tekken.

Tekkeb 3 increased the number of individual character moves and combos exponentially, and was as arcade perfect as it came. Both 1 and 2 suffered from some awkward clipping, although 2 was better, meaning moves wouldn't register.

3 was really the first time a 3D fighting game made perfect sense and controlled as absolutely cleanly as a 2D one.

Yes! Also it had a load of weird mini games and extra characters (volleyball, gon...) a really dumb but awesome anime story for 12 yo me, and as reg says the combos just got insane.

I would say my mains were Jin and Bryan, but I got to know every single character pretty well. If there was a way to see total playtime in that game it would probably be scary. I vividly remember playing it almost every single day, weekends and after school, for at least a few hours a time. Even when I played other games, tekken 3 would be on sometime before or after. I think I only stopped playing after like, 2 years? Maybe 3 as that’s when we got the ps2...

Edit: oh and bar a bit of tekken tag and some 4, I never touched tekken again till 7 came out recently, and I picked up Bryan and instantly pulled off some amazing combos. It was weird how familiar it felt so long after.
  • Fuck it I'm going in. 

Slay the Spire

A seemingly slightly old fashioned card game that could only work well using computers. and modern computing at that. A brilliant idea balanced with big data results via Steam. As close to perfect in it's execution as any computer game out there and the more you play the more you appreciate it. It's so complex as to be unsolvable and the only barrier to success is experience and knowledge. It's you vs your brain.

Snes Mario Kart

I knew for sure gaming wasn't going away when I played this. I could've included Goldeneye or Modern Warfare but this was the one that paved the way.

The Witness

A brilliant vision from a brilliant mind.

Bioshock

When a fps went grown up. My favourite setting of any game.

Mario 64

A 3D world like this in a cartridge was crazy. So alien was it at the time that early previews were more about bafflement and nobody was saying it was deffo going to be fun to actually play.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    SG knows. Great list and surprised Mario 64 hasn’t been listed more.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One forgets just how good M64 is. I went back to it recently (got the JP version as part of my N64 PAL->NTSC upgrade) and remembered how truly great it is. A top 10 entry for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Paul, Eddy, Mokujin

Better than low-kick King spamming I guess.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Actually I was a Marshall law low spinning kick/ twirly kick combo spammer. Twas effective in the JCR, until some did and his Hwoarang turned up to spoil oznos reign
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Souls
    Final Fantasy VII
    Mario 64
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Breath of the Wild

The first 4 are likely stuck there forever, because I played them all so much, in a way that I just don't play games anymore. BotW could be replaced by MGSV as the best of this gen.
  • In no particular order.

Baldur's Gate 2
    Planescape: Torment
    Halo 3
    Super Streetfighter 4: Arcade Edition
    Dark Souls

I'll update this with reviews later on.
  • I had no idea there were two different versions of M64 until about two weeks ago
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    One has karts, the other doesn't, it's not complicated
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I had no idea there were two different versions of M64 until about two weeks ago

Do you mean the rumble version? Or am I on the wrong track here as usual?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh yeah - forgot about that. 

Japan got a "Shindou" version of M64 and Waverace with rumble support. M64 got some bug fixes too - think it prevents the backwards jump glitch that allows you to get past the everlasting staircase with less than 70 stars.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Trials Evolution We've been asked not to order these but this is absolutely no.1.  Much better handling than HD and a superb build-a-track mode that we absolutely rinsed for forum tourneys.  Fun fact: my IRL best mate had a reverse stroke - something to do with blood not leaving the brain - while we were playing a forum tournament (which he joined for).  He's been on warfarin since and whether it was caused by our ridiculously competitive Trials head to heads or not he was playing it when it happened, and one of the first things he said when he woke up in hospital, apparently, was 'tell Tim not to beat my time'.  So I stopped playing that week, which means he placed ahead of me on Spark Plug thanks to his next level guilt tripping.  It also means it's Sparky's fault in a roundabout way because he picked the rubbish electricity themed track iirc.  Anyway, funtimes and the best game ever.  He can laugh about it but hasn't played one properly since.

You guys all need to give Rising another shout - the physics is much refined over Evo, and not different enough to the extent that Fusion is/was to make the comparison pointless (i.e. Rising is the better game, bar the awful UI). Would be fun to run a forum TC competition for a few weeks to get the love going, and give me an excuse to pick it back up.
  • I preferred Trials HD, personally. Even if the actual gameplay or handling improved with the sequels, the presentation put me off. Trying too hard with the ‘extreme’ trappings was a turn off.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Im just Trials'd out. I put almost two to three years straight into HD and Evo.
  • To be fair, you did get bloody good at it.
  • Doom
    IIDX
    Ikaruga
    RDR2
    SF3

...in the mix and almost:

Halo
    Starfox
    Super Monkey Ball
    Trials
    Gears
  • In no order

Mass Effect 2
    Super Mario World
    GTA Vice City
    Pro Evo
    Day of the Tentacle
  • The Rising UI killed me tbh, was even more of a great game hobbler than the progression system in Trackmania Turbo. Even going back to find a specific tracks is annoying - is there really no easier way to do it than aimlessly scrolling around the map if you don't know where something is?

Plus the fact that I probably backed the wrong horse with the okay-ish 30fps Switch version as my main focus. I planned to go all in, even bought it on two consoles at launch (Bone for proper ghost chasing, Switch for most of the sp stuff) but I couldn't handle the grind twice so only unlocked the majority of it on Switch. I like to play lots of things rather than a lot of one thing, so I'm consciously avoiding the addiction I guess. I did play for 50hrs though, mostly in handheld. Which is loads for me but obviously not much for proper Trials-ing.
  • Having said that I would be in for a forum comp.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Paul, Eddy, Mokujin

Better than low-kick King spamming I guess.

When I'm playing 7 in Tokyo and it connects on arcades to other players I sure do often play as king.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!