Best (and Worst) Looking Console of All Time - PS5 could be a winner
  • Fucking minidisc, one fell into the toilet, before I could flush.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • @Crayon
    Yeah, the remote had a screen on it as well. The top part rotated to skip tracks back and forth.

I thought it was pretty robust. Survived me riding my bike in everyday.

Loved Minidisc. It was a better format than MP3 players for a short time while MP3 players were low capacity and expensive. Also the discs felt futuristic.
  • I loved mine. I had a really slimline Sony portable md player that was as flimsy as pop describes:

https://www.carousell.sg/p/sony-md-walkman-mz-e44-portable-minidisc-player-with-original-accessories-246155141/

Loved it though. I still have my Kenwood minisystem with a minidisc player inbuilt and its really nice to put a random mix you made 20 years ago for some musical nostalgia!

Also loved the Minidisc Sony ad which introduced me to the only good song Reef did...Naked
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Both Minidiscs and UMDs felt like some format used in a 1980s anime/kids cartoon.
    Like I imagine them being what is used in Ulysees or M.A.S.K.
  • davyK wrote:
    Watched these two parts yesterday. Man, the DC really was The One. Great viewing.

I'm setting up Typing of the Dead on Dreamcast tonight for the Halloween weekend - the daughters are home and we have 2 keyboards - so versus mode ahoy.   :)

There aren't many other games that demonstrate the totally hatstand genius of the creativity of Sega.

Samba de Amiga says “hi”
    :D
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I had the blue Sony minidisc one
    PSN - minkymu
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I had one of these. x158A1200V-f.jpeg
  • I had an iriver and it was amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Watched these two parts yesterday. Man, the DC really was The One. Great viewing.
    I'm setting up Typing of the Dead on Dreamcast tonight for the Halloween weekend - the daughters are home and we have 2 keyboards - so versus mode ahoy.   :) There aren't many other games that demonstrate the totally hatstand genius of the creativity of Sega.
    Samba de Amiga says “hi” :D

Heh.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I remember one boys weekend away we took a Dreamcast to a caravan in rural wales.

Now that console was water cooled? But it was so cold that over night something must have frozen? Every morning for the first hour the graphics were pink tinted, then went back to normal after an hour.

Wasnt the tv cos HOTD worked fiine.

Anyone else ever get pink graphics with a cold Dreamcast?
    PSN - minkymu
  • g.man wrote:
    Have to say, I'm also a big fan of the OG PS3. In a world of cheap plastic tat, everything about it just shouted PREMIUM.

Except the build quality of the internal bits
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Minkymu wrote:
    I remember one boys weekend away we took a Dreamcast to a caravan in rural wales.

Now that console was water cooled? But it was so cold that over night something must have frozen? Every morning for the first hour the graphics were pink tinted, then went back to normal after an hour.

Wasnt the tv cos HOTD worked fiine.

Anyone else ever get pink graphics with a cold Dreamcast?

What were you on, may I ask?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Set up last night with a 6 foot screen and projector. VGA cable. Looks amazing still. Typing of the Dead and Mr Driller.

Going to get Cosmic Smash and Daytona up on that screen next.
  • Oh Dreamcast Daytona was amazing. The paintwork editor for the cars was great.

Still think thos is the best version by far. The xbox version seemed to take a step backwards
    PSN - minkymu
  • You need the wheel for DC Daytona, it felt wrong with the pad, it was twitch central IIRC.

After FNF and a bit of Rocket Dog with Yoss I got on Le Mans on the DC last night. It still looks and plays amazing and rides high in my best DC games list
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have the wheel (2 of em actually). 360 Daytona is lovely but it's an arcade port with a few extras - the DC game has more tracks and modes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So OP done. Don’t think it’s the most inspiring top 3 if I’m honest, but the masses have spoken.

Have to give a special shout out to whoever picked the WonderMega and the Analogue MD. Both beautiful pieces of tech that I now want!
  • It's werid that no one has done a console shaped like a circle. Or a sphere. Maybe a sphere is next. You could get an add on so it can be balanced on top of your TV.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wasn't there a analogue NeoGeo made in wood at one point on limited release?

EDIT: aye. there was.

Analogue-CMVS-Slim.jpg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's werid that no one has done a console shaped like a circle. Or a sphere. Maybe a sphere is next. You could get an add on so it can be balanced on top of your TV.

There was retro all-in-one unit shaped like a sphere:

003083_1.jpg?itok=mZtUQ8Lx

"ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Eric wrote:
    You need the wheel for DC Daytona, it felt wrong with the pad, it was twitch central IIRC. After FNF and a bit of Rocket Dog with Yoss I got on Le Mans on the DC last night. It still looks and plays amazing and rides high in my best DC games list
    Forgotten classic that. One of the all-time greatest console racing games imo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    You need the wheel for DC Daytona, it felt wrong with the pad, it was twitch central IIRC. After FNF and a bit of Rocket Dog with Yoss I got on Le Mans on the DC last night. It still looks and plays amazing and rides high in my best DC games list
    Forgotten classic that. One of the all-time greatest console racing games imo.

The draw distance was incredible.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Le Mans is one of the few DC games I'm still on the lookout for.
  • It's werid that no one has done a console shaped like a circle. Or a sphere. Maybe a sphere is next. You could get an add on so it can be balanced on top of your TV.

Probably not that great from a heat dissipation angle as the surface area to volume ratio is minimised.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • i.e thermodynamics
  • The Mac dustbin is probably closest. That had quite good cooling but was shit in a bunch of other ways.
  • I had one of these. It was … fine, I guess.

5vhwek7jovw41.jpg
  • I bet that screen is utterly unusable now.
  • I couldn’t look at something that low res nowadays.
  • We had one of those as our ‘family’ computer, was completely blown away by it at the time, as it was the first upgrade from our original Mac, the performa 475 (or 476 I can’t remember, looked like this):

MDU1MTMwODc0ZTIyNzU5MjcxM2FlYmI5MTRjZmY5YjTmKGUvGX0VZuZRWp8V2O6XaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYjQ2OWExNGYzYmQ5NmVjNmIyNzI4YzAwM2YyYWQ3NzhlMWU3NGJiZTEwMzM4NzkxODZlYWMxNWFmNDA4YTRhNi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Having that lampshade thing with internet for the first time was mind blowing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!