Burned Hopes of a Console Generation
  • If JRPG is a distinct genre as opposed to just meaning "RPG from Japan" then I would exclude Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma etc. I would say Xenoblade is the closest I've got to a truly great one since the PS1, close but just not quite there.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Sorry my bad, in that case then my biggest disappointment is the travesty of Banjo-Kazooie. Releasing the original two was amazing and reminded my why I loved them, so I couldn't wait for a proper sequel.
    All I got was complete and utter tosh.
    In fact, with the exception of the Mario Galaxy games, there were not enough of those cartoony/open world style/platforming adventure games.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There were some stonkers on the PS2 Mouldy. Dragon Quest VIII, FFX and that. There's a list at the start of the RPG thread. Raiziel will probably be along soon with more.
  • In fact, with the exception of the Mario Galaxy games, there were not enough of those cartoony/open world style/platforming adventure games.
    Totally agree, I have always like those type of games. I think it goes hand in hand with what I said about Rare really.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    A great JRPG.
    This. I've been waiting 2 generations for this.
    There was one. It was Dragon Quest IX.
  • daviedigi wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Revenge of Shinobi got released on XBLA at last so generation completed right enough.
    also on psn and amazingly as good as i remember.

It's on PSN???   I'd have suffered a gigantic OS update to download that had I known.  But it's OK, for it came out on Live and I got two free shit games with it.
  • In fact, with the exception of the Mario Galaxy games, there were not enough of those cartoony/open world style/platforming adventure games.
    Totally agree, I have always like those type of games. I think it goes hand in hand with what I said about Rare really.

Yep, Rare have been awful really. They have been made to spend way to long on the new tech microsoft want and not enough time making actual good games.
    I expected more from both Rare and Free Radical come to mention it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I would have done horrible, regretful things for a new Timesplitters
  • Have been some frustrating near-misses too. Mirror's Edge and Dog Days could both have been all time classics with more focus and better editing in the former, and resources on feel (or kinaesthetics, as I'm starting to see this labelled) in the latter.
  • Dark Souls has been more like small-voice-MMO-dungeoneering revisted for me. Serious yardage between it and many other titles, but not without room for refinement.
  • I don't count DkS/dogma, the last great jrpg I played was P4. I have Xeno but I couldn't play with a GameCube pad so fuck that.

Does make me dry-chuckle that even bouncey lunatic platforming wasn't able to dodge the Dark & Edgey stick this round - inFamous, Prototype etc.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Where's my awesome npc non-combat AI at?!
    Get schwifty.
  • That was Oblivion man, Radiant AI!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yes, I was thinking of that game as I wrote that.  It promised so much and delivered so little with it's npc AI.
    Get schwifty.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Does make me dry-chuckle that even bouncey lunatic platforming wasn't able to dodge the Dark & Edgey stick this round - inFamous, Prototype etc.
    Yeah, losing the Japanese as AAA developers has made the tone very one note, at least the big disc releases. Crackdown, Mirror's Edge and Brink come to mind as attempts at breaking the cycle, but their sales have probably cemented it instead.
  • And they didn't exactly challenge the tone anyway beyond being slightly more interested in bright colours.
  • Still a fair bit of violence, although the uncertainty about it in Mirror's Edge was one of the problems, they certainly avoided dark and edgy.

If you're talking about purer 3D platformers, there might be an argument that they've barely been successful unless they're made by Nintendo. Sony tried at least, but they're a genre that doesn't need too much of a challenge - that then hits this generations trading in problem.
  • I_R wrote:
    unless they're made by Nintendo.
    Or Rare, but yeah.
    Sonic has finally got back on track after three generations. The Ratchet and Clank games have been continually great, but seem to be ignored by the masses.
  • That seems reasonable for at least the time being.
  • I think gaming has been having it's buttons prodded by a younger gamer behind our back for a while now. We were stupid to think it would change, mature and grow old with us, instead it's on a mad mid-life crisis fucking around with the nearest teenager it can find.

Well forget you gaming, we dont need you anymore, we are strong independent gamers now, who can go out and find are own thrills.

Oh god I miss you gaming, take me back, I will play the same game endlessly if it makes you happy.
  • There were some stonkers on the PS2 Mouldy. Dragon Quest VIII, FFX and that. There's a list at the start of the RPG thread. Raiziel will probably be along soon with more.

Wasn't keen on FFX. I didn't like the characters or voice acting much and I didn't think the story or game-world were very inspiring. That's really what I play RPGs for. It's the only genre of game where I value story above game-play, probably the only genre where I value story at all.

I may have a look at Dragon Quest though. Last one I played was on the SNES. Trouble is, RPGs are such a massive time investment that if they're less than amazing I always feel slightly short-changed.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • FFXII could have been that brilliant JRPG if someone hadn't had the idea to change the focus from Baltheir to Vaan. It was still alright though.
  • I look forward to a digital download future, but it saddens me that in its relative infancy, devs and publishers are already viewing it as purely a revenue stream rather than a valid form of delivery. Rather than seek to innovate, the first thought is "how can we screw money from gamers?", overpriced digital editions, 'Premium' and 'Elite' services, frivolous DLC, etc. As digital delivery continues to improve, I shudder to think what it will evolve into.

I see the Fremium model taking off, but with current trends, will this become the preserve of the well to do? By all means take my money EA/Activision et al, but don't be helping yourself to my biscuit barrel either... mmm, biscuits.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    There were some stonkers on the PS2 Mouldy. Dragon Quest VIII, FFX and that. There's a list at the start of the RPG thread. Raiziel will probably be along soon with more.
    Wasn't keen on FFX. I didn't like the characters or voice acting much and I didn't think the story or game-world were very inspiring. That's really what I play RPGs for. It's the only genre of game where I value story above game-play, probably the only genre where I value story at all. I may have a look at Dragon Quest though. Last one I played was on the SNES. Trouble is, RPGs are such a massive time investment that if they're less than amazing I always feel slightly short-changed.

dragons quest:curse of the king, (jrpg) 
    dark chronicle, (arpg) 
    ffxII (jrpg) 
    all ps2 all excellent.

nothings ever beaten the localisation job on dragons quest:curse of the king FACT!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I have to put Kinect down as a major disappointment. It seemed to have a lot of potential, but as well as a few technical issues, it's suffered from a lack of support, including from MS.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    If JRPG is a distinct genre as opposed to just meaning "RPG from Japan" then I would exclude Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma etc. I would say Xenoblade is the closest I've got to a truly great one since the PS1, close but just not quite there.

FFXII is the bestest. DQVIII was great. Xenoblade looks promising. All are better than anything on PS1.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My biggest disappointment has been the fragmentation of the 'live' service. In the early days there were a couple of great games everybody had, there was no party chat, and the matches were epic. I met loads of great people some of who I still play with and had a laugh in game, sure there were plenty of dicks but the insults were as much fun as the camaraderie. Now everybody's playing a different game, the only people talking are idiots given free reign and I can't remember the last time I buddied up with a stranger. In my opinion the sense of gaming community that was there is gone.
  • I massively resent paying for XBox Live.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!