Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Finally finished Hail Mary. I’m so bad with books. I’ve been on 95% all week. Get into bed, read a couple pages and I’m asleep. It’s ok. The weakest of his three books imo. But not bad and some cool ideas.
    I finished this the other day. Starts to feel like I say this for most things I read, but it really started to grow on me.
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    45.   Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke.  Wow.  This was great.  Not a book with the best character depth, but in the breadth of its ideas and the ambition of its story it’s really hard to fault.  I’d already seen the mini series a couple of times so I’d been spoiled on some of the incredible narrative developments, but it didn’t really take anything away from my enjoyment of the tale.  There’s plenty here that doesn’t make it into series.  There are also some startlingly beautiful lines of prose throughout.  My favourite, without question, occurs as a nuclear explosion destroys an island in the Pacific: “And the island rose up to meet the dawn.”  This is one of those stories that will stay with me.
    Get schwifty.
  • 26. Senlin Ascends (Josiah Bancroft)
    Superb story of a man forced by circumstance to leave behind who he was to become something new in order to find his lost love in the Tower of Babel. A brilliantly realised world filled with great characters - I immediately bought the sequel.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Good man! Best series.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    46.  Assassin’s Quest by Robin Hobb.  This is book three of her Farseer Trilogy.  I read the other two last summer, and afterwards was of a mind not to bother with the final volume.  While those first two books were very nicely written and made good on their reputation for putting the protagonist through the wringer, I had issues with the way her (somewhat moustache-twirling) villain gets to do whatever he likes without any of the good guys taking any action against him.  It just felt to me like a cheap way to manufacture drama.  

Anyway, I’m not really one for leaving things unfinished, so this month I picked up the third book.  And now it’s finished…all 800+ pages of it.  Quest doesn’t suffer from the same problem I had with books one and two, but what it does suffer from is a severe case of bloat.  There’s a lot of unnecessary detail in the first 500 pages, and it’s slow to start, but having said that, there was enough good stuff to propel me through it.  But then the third act kicks in and, for over 300 hundred pages, Hobb slams on the brakes and lets the air out of the tyres.  It honestly feels like she didn’t know how to finish her saga, and nothing at the end came across as being remotely satisfying.  What’s more, there’s a magic talent that the protagonist possesses called the Skill which always felt a little woolly to me.  By the end she seems to be making up the rules as she goes along and just ends up looking like a giant MacGuffin.  It’s just lazy.  A shame, really.  For a while I honestly thought this book was going to be the best of the bunch, and then Hobb just flushes it all away.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    47.  The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke.  Childhood’s End was great, this one was good…just about.  It’s got an intriguing premise: in the far distant future the last of mankind live in a single city which is seemingly eternal and rarely changes.  The people that live there have extraordinarily long lives, and when they die their genetic information and memories are stored away and one day they will be born again to live another long life.  This has been going on for at least a billion years.  Then a child is born who has never lived before, and dreams of what lies beyond the city where no one else ever has.

It’s a tantalising setup, and there are some interesting revelations along the way, but for me they just weren’t as satisfying as the ones in Childhood’s End.  There’s adventure, but very little conflict, and as it seems is the norm in Clarke’s books, the characters are pretty weak.  So it’s left to the mystery of what’s really going on here to do all the heavy lifting, and it’s just not quite there.  Not a total disappointment, but it’s probably the weakest of the four books I’ve read by Clarke so far.  I will be reading more.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    48.  Blindsight by Peter Watts.  This is a hard sci-fi first contact tale with some cyberpunkian flavour and a big fat dollop of crazy.  And it’s absolutely brilliant, tying now with Inverted World as my favourite read of the year so far.

After an incident on Earth when an alien presence seemingly takes a snapshot of the planet, a ship is sent way out into the Oort cloud to investigate.  Some of the craziness comes from the make-up of the crew.  The Captain is the ship’s AI, the Commander is…a vampire (they went extinct during the Pleistocene period, but then some scientists get hold of the DNA and Jurassic Park them back into existence), there’s someone who has split their consciousness into four district personalities, and then there’s the protagonist, who had half his brain removed when he was a child and now has problems connecting with people on an emotional level.  What they all get up to out there at the very edge of the solar system when they meet this alien intelligence is kinda crazy also, and I’m not about to spoil it, but they are forced to look at themselves and the nature of consciousness and free will.

I cannot recommend it highly enough, but I have to say this was not always an easy read, especially at the beginning.  I at least felt like I was thrown in at the deep end, and I definitely felt like I’d not fully parsed all the info I should have.  There’s an enormous amount of tech and science lingo to get through, but after a while I did find myself syncing up with Watts’ style.  And there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s an enormously talented writer.  Blindsight is by turns intelligent and philosophical, and I loved it.
    Get schwifty.
  • That sounds awesome, right up my street
  • 27. The Arm of the Sphynx (Josiah Bancroft)
    Sequel to Senlin and continues the brilliance of the first book, then surpasses it. Couldn't put it down.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    My next read was supposed to be Kafka’s Metamorphosis and Other Stories. I got about a quarter of the way through but I just had to put it down as I wasn’t enjoying the prose style or the narrative content. I know Kafka’s very well regarded, but he’s just not my cup of tea. So instead I read this...

80hmFcJ.jpg

49. Uzumaki by Junji Ito. This is sort of half in and half out of my wheelhouse; I read quite a bit of horror, but I’ve never read manga before. Uzumaki has a reputation so I thought I’d at least have a look at what it’s about, and the gist of it really did sound intriguing. The residents of a coastal town in Japan are plagued not by monsters or ghosts or what have you, but by an obsession with a shape: the spiral. That sounded really different, and in my mind I was expecting the slow psychological breakdown of the town as the obsession deepens. But that’s not really what Ito does, I guess, so my own expectations got in the way right from the off. But, once I’d readjusted, I was enjoying it for what it is. What it is is very silly and very over the top. Fine. It’s fine, and the drawings are nice. And then it jumps the shark in the last third and all of a sudden I just wanted it to be over. And now it is. I might read Akira at some point.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    50.  The Ruins by Scott Smith.  A small group of twenty-somethings leave the comfortable confines of their beach resort in Cancún and head off into the Mexican jungle in search of one of their wayward friends.  They eventually find themselves trapped on a hill, surrounded Mayans who won’t let them leave, and there’s something on the hill with them that wants them all dead.

It’s fucking brilliant, one of my favourite reads of the year so far.  They made a movie adaptation, which I had vague recollections of, and I just watched it again after finishing the book.  It’s okay, but as is often the case it’s not a patch on the source.  Smith writes in such an easy-to-read way that the prose almost vanishes and there’s just the reader and the story.  It has great characters, mucho body horror, and—unlike the film—an actual decent ending.  Will read again.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    51.  Occultation and Other Stories by Laird Barron.  This is a collection of weird horror stories, some of them quite substantial.  I’ve often heard good things about Laird Barron, and weird horror is my jam, so this should have worked for me.  It didn’t, unfortunately, and I’m pretty sure it’s got nothing to do with the writing or the stories.  I did this one on audiobook.  A good narrator can elevate an average book and a bad narrator can completely muck up a very good book.  I felt the narrator of Occultation was a very bad choice for these stories.  The jury’s out on whether I dig Laird Barron or not, so when I read something else by him, I’ll do it with my eyes instead of my ears.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    52.  Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  This is possibly the best book I’ve ever read that I haven’t enjoyed.  It’s like a banquet that looks good and smells good and then you eat it and it tastes of nothing. It’s a beautifully written book, poetic and mythic, but the characters are less than puddle-deep.  There were no stakes in this story because there was no one to even remotely relate to.  It’s just the story of a band of mean sons-of-bitches cutting a bloody swathe across America.  And that’s really all it is.  I’ve never read a book with such opaque characters.  This is not a failing on McCarthy’s end, clearly; that’s the type of book he wanted to write.  It’s just not the type of book I enjoyed reading.
    Get schwifty.
  • 28. Excession (Iain M Banks)
    Just brilliant. Love the focus on the ships and their Minds and the idea that there's something out there in the galaxy that's both unknowable and more powerful than the Culture. The Affront were total dicks, but strangely loveable. It's weird grieving for an author thats been dead so long, with the selfish jealousy of knowing that once I've finished these books, there's no more to come. What a writer.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I loved that one. Not sure I got the full gist of who was playing games with who regarding the Minds though, complicated stuff
  • Is that the one with Meat Fucker in it? Love that book.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Is that the one with Meat Fucker in it? Love that book.

Yeah. The Grey Area.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    53.  What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson.  It took me a long time to get around to this one, which is weird, really, as stories about the imagined landscape of the afterlife are my jam.  I’m an atheist, but this sort of thing comes up again and again in my own attempts at fiction.  Unfortunately What Dreams May Come really didn’t work for me, and I’m not sure to what degree seeing the film adaptation with Robin Williams factors into it.  I’m pretty sure the film isn’t all that well thought of.  At least no one I know thinks very much of it, but I really enjoyed it.  The film, I’ve now discovered, takes some fairly massive liberties with the source material, and it’s all the better for it.

I have one single gripe with Matheson’s story, but it’s a biggie.  He spends much of the book describing the mechanics of the afterlife, to the point where it feels more like a treatise on the afterlife rather than a story.  It’s an approach that succeeds not only in dragging down the thrust of the narrative, but also in removing the mystique of the afterlife.  Only in the third and final act does the author take off the stabilisers and allow the story to breathe for a while.  It’s not enough, and by the end he’s back to authorsplaing everything into oblivion.

It’s not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination, but having seen the film first I can’t help but feel a little disappointed by it.  The film makes many astute and clever changes.  For instance, early on in the film the protagonist insists on staying close to his grieving wife, but his presence, telling her again and again “I still exist”, only compounds her grief, forcing him to finally move on.  There is none of that in the novel.  The stakes are also not as high.  If I remember rightly, in the film after his wife commits suicide she is condemned to her own personal hell for all eternity.  In the novel it is just for the few years (twenty-odd) that she would have been alive on earth.  And that’s to say nothing of the creative flourishes employed in the film, rendering the world with elements of renaissance paintings, as opposed to the rather dull idealised version on America featured in the book.

This is one of those rare instances where I found the film a good deal better than the book.  It’s been a good few years since I’ve seen it.  I should watch it again.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched the film What Dreams May Come last night.  It’s not without issues, but in my opinion it fixes more than it breaks.  The ending is largely honoured.  Robin Williams was perfectly cast.  What a loss he is to this day.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    @Raiziel - Only just seen your post about Uzumaki. I recommend the film if you want some craziness.

It's not a great film but has some fantastic effects work.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m not sure I enjoyed the manga enough to want to seek out the film.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I watched the film What Dreams May Come last night.  It’s not without issues, but in my opinion it fixes more than it breaks.  The ending is largely honoured.  Robin Williams was perfectly cast.  What a loss he is to this day.

Watched it at the time and was blown away. Watched it recently and it still has an emotional punch. Really like it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Started The Mirror and the Light and fuck me wing the first few pages it's made me realise what yeah I've been reading since Bring up the Bodies. Just superlative prose. For books two and three to keep the quality of the first - by itself an absolute masterpiece - is really quite something.
  • The irony.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ahem
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    54.  2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke.  I first read this in my teens after watching and falling in love with Kubrick’s masterpiece.  That’s long enough ago now for me to have fully forgotten where book and film diverge.  For a good portion they don’t really diverge at all, and it was fun picking out pieces of dialogue I recognised from the film.  It’s only really when Poole goes extravehicular to replace the AE35 unit that things start going in slightly different but significant directions.  There is no “Open the pod bay door please, HAL” line here.  Of most interest to me was the stargate journey in the book.  It’s a creatively dazzling piece, and I can’t help but wonder what might have been if Kubrick had had more modern special effects capabilities to hand.  Can’t really really complain, though, seeing as he still delivered one of (if no the) greatest final acts ever committed to film.

The novel is a masterwork of science fiction, and ably holds its own against the film.  If the film does one thing better than the book, it’s that it maintains and aura of mystery.  In the book Clarke reveals all to the reader, leaving little to the imagination.  They’re different mediums, though, and perhaps keeping too much back would have frustrated the reader.

Have now ordered 2010, 2061, and 3001.  I was always picking these books up in the nineties, but somehow I never made it to the till with any of them.  Looking forward to to reading them.  First, though, time for a rewatch of Kubrick’s masterpiece.  Any excuse.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've not read or watched. Which should I start with?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh my. You should definitely start with the film. As I said, the book explains a little too much. Film first, enjoy its grandeur and mystery, and if you like it (you should!) read the book next.
    Get schwifty.
  • Wow. Just wow, Muzzy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!