#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ll probably check out some other reviews tomorrow and see how much of an outlier I am.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm taking a break from reading at the minute. Just can't settle on one thing. I have Chips Channon's diary, Vol 2 of Runicman's work on The Crusades, and a book by Primo Levi called the Drowned and the Saved all on the go. I'm also picking at the short story compilation by Cixin Liu.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well, the overall star rating on Goodreads for The Dark Forest is pretty high, so I guess I am an outlier.  Folk enjoy the book; it’s utterly baffling to me but there it is.  Although I note that the highest rated review on there is positively scathing, and it wasn’t hard to find reviews that shared similar criticisms to my own.  One thing I didn’t properly touch on above was how unsophisticated Cixin’s approach is to expressing human emotion.  Primarily Luo Ji, but also the other Wallfacers (ridiculous concept btw) come across as children trying to fake it as grownups.  It all felt very juvenile, and reminded me quite a bit of Becky Chambers’ cast of non-adults in The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's something clinical about the work. That is true. But I don't expect or go looking for emotional kickers in sci fi. The sci fi short is the best place for that. Ive always believed that. Cixin is great at sci fi on a grand scale and that can get a bit po faced but the story and concepts compensate me for that.

Of course there is the cultural divide and act of translation to factor in as well. I actually felt the 2nd book was better written. Something in its quality. I can't be more specific now as I can't recall the detail; but I remember admiring certain passages.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have absolutely no problem with sci-fi that steers well clear of emotional storytelling if it isn’t the author’s strong suit. I’ve just read quite a bit of Arthur C. Clarke after all. I think the problem for me is that in The Dark Forest Cixin attempts to tell an emotional storyline in the early part of the book, and it’s excruciating.

As for the prose, I think they both have issues, but The Three-Body Problem felt to me like the better of the two, and I couldn’t help but wonder as I was reading it if I might have had a better impression if Ken Liu had translated this one as well.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I found both books hard going at the start. I almost gave up on Three Body Problem a couple of times. The payback later on justified it. If I like an idea I can forgive some clumsyness; perhaps a bit too much.

I thought that the weaving in of science would have put people off too. In particular the computer science in the first one when the human computer is created and Cixin starts talking about XOR gates etc. Meat and potatoes to me - I knew about that at 15 - but not everyone's tasse de the  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Or it could be I'm a sentimental soft touch and fall for any old shite.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haha!
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    66.  The Return by Ben Bova.  This being the fourth and final book in the Voyagers series.  There was a nineteen year gap between the third book and this one and the author hasn’t changed his tune very much.  In the second book the protagonist is trying to prevent a new world war, and in the third book he turns his attention to the impending ecological disaster that mankind have created for themselves.  In this final book the protagonist is trying to prevent a new world war and impending ecological disaster.

This really does feel like a pointless sequel, not just for that reason, but also because in this one he retcons the fuck out of the books that came before it.  And for what reason?  Just so he can tell the same damn story all over again?  Why did he even bother?  There’s nothing meaningful in this story that was worth destroying the continuity of the series over.  Something big happened to the human race at the end of the third book and I was genuinely intrigued to discover the consequences of that momentous event in this book.  Instead Bova shat all over his previous work and served up some reheated crap.  It’s a book I wish I never even knew existed.  Harrumph.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Drowned and the Saved is Primo Levi's follow up to his 2 mighty memoires of his 11 months in Auschwitz and his long meandering journey home to Italy in chaotic post war Europe.

This book tries to understand the mental processes of those who took part in the crime. From the kapos through to the guards and officers and the industrialists who profited from it.  He committed suicide shortly after finishing this (though some think it may have been an accident).

It makes the reader consider what he would do in the same situation and it doesn't make for comfortable reading.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    67.  One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, translated by Gregory Rabassa.  After an awful lot of sci-fi in September I needed a palate cleanser before getting on with an awful lot of horror in October.  This book sure was that, and I’ve never read anything quite like it before.  It charts several generations of the Buendía family after they establish the village of Macondo in the jungle swamps of Columbia.  This book doesn’t waste much time on dialogue because it has a lot of story to get through.  And what a story!  It’s almost dizzying in its relentless creativity.  We see characters young and vital change as the transit of time wears them down, and as the village grows into a town and new generations of Buendías are born, they are eventually seized by senility or decrepitude.  The story to me felt like a microcosm of the beauty and absurdity of life that we can probably all relate to, especially as we get older.  It’s by turns joyful, shocking, and heartbreaking, and I highly recommend it to everyone.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    GOAT for me. Best book I've ever read, most remarkable, most amazing, just glorious.

Have you read anything else by him? Rushdie has some similarities (magical realism ftw). They've both dinner lots of gooduns.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve not read else by him, no, so if you have a recommendation of which one to try next I’m open to suggestions.  As for Rushdie, I’ve fraternised with the idea of reading something by him before, so if you have a recommendation there too then I’m up for it.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    GGM:
     - Love in the Time of Cholera as another all-timer
     - Think I've read The General in His Labyrinth too, can't quite remember though
     - Chronicle of a Death Foretold as a novella
     - Memories of My Melancholy Whores as memoirs

SR:
     - Midnight's Children is toppest of tiers - think you'd like it, again just blew my mind
     - Shame also very good, and The Satanic Verses itself
     - Slightly drops off after that - The Enchantress of Florence is maybe worth a look though
  • Are there any similarities with Borges, muzzy?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Cheers, Muzzy! Midnight’s Children it is. It’s a bit of a whopper, but might try and fit that in this December.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    68.  Dark Matter by Michelle Paver.  First Halloween season read is this Arctic ghost story.  It’s not bad. Set in the mid 1930s, and told through the protagonists diary entries, it tells the story of a small expedition into the Arctic north for the purposes of…science?  It’s possible I somehow missed the specifics of the undertaking (something to do with the weather I think), but it’s not really important.  It’s all about that juxtaposition between the cold desolation of the setting and the supernatural dread that quickly begins to wear down the men.  I like this setting for a ghost story, so it gets a big fat plus point for that, but in all honesty I feel the story could have been a little better.  Because of that this one’s just merely okay, and if you’re into the setting too I’d say it’s probably worth a read.

Also, this is second book I’ve read this year called Dark Matter.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Greenlights is actor Matthew McConaughey's memories, scribblings, thoughts, theories and adventures. I've always liked him as an actor. I like him more after reading this.

With a somewhat controversial though solid, sound upbringing, he seems to be a very thoughtful man. This book is super easy to read and he has a breezy style. His life has been interesting and it's worth a read. There are some US platitudes in there but I honestly believe they come from the heart. He seems a thoughtful, intelligent, grounded and kindly man.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    69.  Beneath an Oil-Dark Sea by Caitlin R. Kieran.  Have been wanting to read this author for a long time, and holy shit can this lady write.  I’m tinkering myself with a few stories, and while reading some authors I feel pretty confident I can do better.  Then I read someone like Kiernan and I’m like, “I will never be as good as this.”  She’s fucking amazing, basically.  A potent mix of early Clive Barker, Angela Carter, David Cronenberg with twist of David Lynch.  I can only wish that I was half as talented as this lady.  Beneath an Oil-Dark Sea is a substantial collection of short stories, novelettes and one novella that straddle horror, sci-fi and fairy tales, all licked with Kiernan’s dark, erotic sheen.  She’s a fiercely intelligent writer, and I can see myself reading everything she has ever written.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    70. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Another fantastic story by Jackson with the usual immaculate, characterful prose. The story itself is less concerned with the haunted house, being more interested instead in the psychological frailty of protagonist Nell. Jackson deftly sweeps the reader along for the ride as Nell’s fragile mind subtly unravels. Brilliant stuff, and it deserves to be remembered among the classics (along with We Have Always Lived in the Castle).
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    71.  Before You Sleep by Adam Nevill.  A small collection of horror stories, and I’ve gotta say, none of them really did it for me.  I’ve read his novel The Reddening, and enjoyed the film adaptations of both The Ritual and No One Gets Out Alive enough to buy the books.  I love me some folk horror, but I think these stories come from a time when he hadn’t yet found his groove, and the prose feels a little weak here and there too.  Still going to read those other two books next year, but these stories weren’t for me.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    72.  Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix.  Set entirely within a Ikea-alike furniture store, this one tells tells the story of a few retail staff and one officious store manager camping out in the store overnight to discover why so many merchandise breakages seem to be occurring out of hours.  The store manager thinks it’s garden variety vandals.  It is not, and the supernatural shit hits the fan.  I really enjoyed this.  It’s an undemanding, fun read where each chapter is headed with captions of aspirational nonsense about items of furniture that can be bought in store.  It never really takes itself too seriously and doesn’t outstay its welcome.  It’s mostly well written, though if I could have got in there before publication I would have trimmed a few of the ‘said’s.  There are a lot of saids.  Overall, though, great fun, and I’ll probably get around to reading more from the author at some point.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh, Project Hail Mary down to £2 on Kindle - I'm finally in!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    73.  The Dark Country by Dennis Etchison.  Another short horror story collection.  I wish I liked this one more than I do.  The prose really is top notch, but it’s the stories here that didn’t ignite my interest.  With one exception.  The opening story, It Only Comes Out at Night, is really fucking good, and there are a couple of others that were okay.  On the whole, though, he’s a fantastic writer writing stories that just aren’t my cup of tea.  Mostly.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    70. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Another fantastic story by Jackson with the usual immaculate, characterful prose. The story itself is less concerned with the haunted house, being more interested instead in the psychological frailty of protagonist Nell. Jackson deftly sweeps the reader along for the ride as Nell’s fragile mind subtly unravels. Brilliant stuff, and it deserves to be remembered among the classics (along with We Have Always Lived in the Castle).

One of my all time favourites. The scene where they are in bed together, scared, at night, and they hold hands remains one of the scariest bits in all of literature for me, up there with the bookcase part of House of Leaves and thr ending of the original Prestige.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Can’t say I’ve ever really felt scared when reading a book, and I’ve read my fair share of horror.  I think the closest I’ve ever come to that was being slightly unnerved when reading Samanta Schweblin’s Fever Dream a couple of years ago, and I wouldn’t even call that a horror.  If Hill House elicited any emotion out of me, it was sadness.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Salem's Lot made me feel uneasy. Especially about windows. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!