Book 'Em Danno! Reading Record 2021
  • I started reading Cujo when I was a young teenager. I didn’t last long, as I was reading in bed, with my wardrobe not far away…

I couldn’t sleep. Fuck that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Salem's Lot made me feel uneasy. Especially about windows. :)

This one’s on my list to read next year.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    74.  Dead Leaves by Kealan Patrick Burke.  Another short horror story collection, this one specifically centred around “fall” and Halloween.  I love Halloween, so this one particularly appealed to me.  The first story, Andromeda, gets things off to a good start, and while I’m not entirely sure what was actually going on, that’s okay; I’m not someone who needs the plot spoon-fed to me, I like a bit of WTF with my fiction.  Unfortunately it all goes rapidly downhill after that.  It’s as if the first story was written by a completely different author to the rest.  Every story that follows is deeply unimaginative and the prose is often poor. The only reason I kept reading was because I was hoping to come across a story with the same calibre as the first.  A real missed opportunity, this one.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you like Halloween @Raiziel then it might be worth checking out The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. I read it many.....many.... years ago but it made a lasting impression on me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I read that one last October, along with The October Country, also by Bradbury.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have the Martian Chronicles in line for my next scifi reading. Will be taking a break from scifi for a while though.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on that one, davy.  My next sci-fi read will be Death’s End in November.  Bet you can’t wait to hear what I think about that.  ;)
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I do indeed!! :)

Just finishing his short story collection called The Wandering Earth.  Then I'm taking a break.

I've been dipping into some heavy non-fiction of late but can't stay focussed on any one thing. Read a Plato dialogue this week. Interesting stuff.   

On a lighter note, I also have Stephen Fry's Mythos and Troy sitting on the shelf.  I read Heroes on holiday a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

Have half completed Hitchen's Trial of Henry Kissinger. Need to finish that too. Nobody convey's bile quite like Christopher!!  :)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    75. Fantasticland by Mike Bockoven. It’s a sort of…Lord of the Flies meets Disneyland? A über-nasty category five tornado sweeps in off the shore of Miami, flooding and isolating a Disneyland-alike theme park. The tourists are evacuated before the full force of the extreme weather event hits the coast, leaving behind about 150 park staff, most of whom are in their late teens and early twenties. It doesn’t take very long for tribes to form and for things to get a bit murdery.

Initially it feels like a bit of a stretch to imagine how things could go south so quickly, but then I remind myself that President Trump happened to America and a bunch hillbilly fucktards stormed the White House not so long ago. But also Bockoven deserves massive credit here, because he works very hard to convince the reader that something like this could go down. It’s still far fetched, but it feels convincing.

The format of the novel is…well…pretty novel. It’s presented as a fictional journalists accounting of the events after the fact, with the meat and potatoes of the story unfolding through a series of interviews with those caught up in the whole mess. It works incredibly well. There are no protagonists here, and each interview is with a different person, with familiar characters popping up in different accounts. I thought the whole thing was carried out superbly, with excellent conversational prose. Will definitely be checking to see what else Bockoven has done.

Just as an aside, I did this on audiobook, and if you’re interested in reading the book then I would wholeheartedly recommend taking this route as it works so well the the interview format of the book, and the two narrators (one for the male interviewees and one for the female) are some of the best I’ve ever heard. They elevate the story to a whole new level. If you happen to have a Audible sub you can find it in their Plus catalogue, which means it’s ‘free’ to listen to as part of your membership.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    76.  The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher.  This one had been on my tbr list for a couple of years.  I really wish I could say it was worth the wait.  I’ve seen it recommended quite a lot in discussions about folk horror, so I went into it with high expectations.  Sadly it ended up being a huge letdown.  For me it has three acute problems: 1. The prose is wildly uneven, swinging from decent to cringey on a regular basis. 2. The characters are stupefyingly bland, especially the protagonist.  There is nothing about her that makes her leap off the page, that convinces you that she’s a real person with real world problems and that I should care about her.  I feel like the only thing that defines her is that she has a dog.  There’s one character that vaguely stands out, but even she feels like a tropey archetype.  And some of the dialogue that comes out of their mouths is atrociously bad.  3.  The story is every bit as bland as the characters.  Not once did I find myself even remotely engaged by the mystery unfolding before me.  There’s weird shit going on in the woods behind our heroine’s grandmothers house and rumour of wild fair folk and strange stones on hills that shouldn’t be there and I should be eating this shit up because it’s my jam…but I can’t because the author delivers her story in such a drab way.  I was never once excited or intrigued to find out what happened next.  In the end my only motivation to get to the end was because I wanted it to be over and I wanted desperately to be reading something else.  And now I am.  Hurrah!
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    77.  Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu.  I want to at some point soon get around to reading Bram Stoker’s Dracula, but before I do I wanted to read that other famous vampire tale that predates Stoker’s seminal work by 26 years (thanks Wikipedia).  So glad I did, as it’s a very compelling and surprisingly modern work of fiction.  It tells the tale of a young lady who, desperate for companionship, meets and forms a deep friendship with a strange young woman with an oddly magnetic personality, fey temperament, and strange habits.  It might not be quite as flamboyant as the Stoker tale to come, but the prose is to die for; it’s elegant and beautiful.  I loved it.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stoker's Dracula deserves the rep it has. Great novel. Have read it at least twice.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I would recommend Carmilla to you then, davy.  I think you’ll appreciate it.  I will be getting to Dracula next year.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Noted.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Wandering Earth is a short story collection by Liu Cixin, the first of which inspired the big budget sci-fi film of the same name.

The author has a lot of ideas and he uses this collection as a sketch book. The ideas themselves are great and are usually of a grand scale but he's never sure about what to do with them and explore the impact of them on people and society as a whole and sometimes they feel unfinished. This doesn't mean the collection isn't worth looking at though as the ideas are worth it. I wouldn't be surprised to see full length novels based on some of them in the future. I've also heard that some of his short stories have been picked up for development as graphic novels.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Have a 100 year anniversary edition from Dracula stored somewhere with family. It's quite nice, it's this black fabric cover and I think an emblem is stamped into it. Sadly it's the original Dracula, so all Old English. Never got past the first page of that I think.

My mom did get me a paperback version after. I liked that. Might have to see if I can get Carmilla then.

I've started Mexican Gothic last night. Only one chapter in, seems alright. Not sure if I really was after another story with mysterious family member affairs, but it is what the library had available from my list.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I started Mexican Gothic a few months back but didn’t get past chapter three I think.  Wasn’t a fan of the prose.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Folio have a new version of Dracula out this month. Looks beautiful. On my want list for sure.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I was eyeing that earlier today.
    Get schwifty.
  • My wife has asked me to recommend a decent modern horror novel, and I've realised I have absolutely no idea what to suggest as I've read hardly anything in the genre since the early 90s. Any ideas?

Unrelated but while I'm here, I'm curently reading The Abstainer by Ian McGuire and it's very good.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve read three horrors this year that strike me as being very modern. Fantasticland by Mike Bockoven, Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix, and The Ruins by Scott Smith. Of them all The Ruins is for me the best, with Fantasticland running it a close second.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'll buy The Ruins then, thanks.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s a great book, and probably in the top three of all the books I’ve read this year.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No Kindle version eh?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s well worth the £7.99 Amazon are asking for the paperback, in my opinion.

I actually did The Ruins on audiobook, where it’s read by the actor Patrick Wilson, and he makes a phenomenal job of it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    78.  The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.  I liked it, but I didn’t love it.  I’m big on beautiful prose, and that is certainly here in The Turn of the Screw, but I think for me it was just a little too elaborate, to the point where I found it getting in the way of the story.  I’ve only seen the recent film adaptation, which I thought was fairly forgettable, but what I found myself thinking as I read it was how much like a play it was, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if over the years it had been adapted multiple times for the stage.  Ultimately not bad, but not quite my cup of tea, and didn’t feel very much like a horror.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    79.  The Fiends in the Furrows: An Anthology of Folk Horror.  Nine fairly substantial short stories by nine different authors, most of them unfortunately awful.  I was hoping I would find some new authors to read through this tome, but I found none.  The writing is often pretty bad, and reaches a nadir with Romey Petite’s Pumpkin, Dear.  It’s about a man who kills his wife and buries her in a pumpkin patch, only for her to come back to life with a pumpkin for a head.  Not only is the story dumb, but the prose is appalling and it’s littered with typos.  When I hear so often how hard it is to get published it just amazes me how some writers are getting into print.  The final story, S. T. Gibson’s Revival, distinguishes itself from the others by actually not being shit.  The story is weak, but at least the prose is competent.  Overall a massive disappointment and I’ve already removed the second book from my TBR.
    Get schwifty.
  • 31. New York 2041 (Kim Stanley Robinson)
    Speculative fiction about what the world might look like if there was a series of cascading temperature increases, resulting in the sea level rising by 50ft. Set in NY, which has become a kind of super Venice, it's more concerned with the details of the effect it might have on people, society and the economy. There's no big action sequences and no build to a final confrontation with a big bad. But it's brilliantly written, hadls some great characters in it and author I had my doubts at the start by the time I finished iti really wanted to spend more time with the world and the people in it. Great stuff.

32. The Wisdom of Crowds (Joe Abercrombie)
    The third and final part of the Age of Madness trilogy, it pays off the building dread and imminent carnage of the first two books. As usual with the author, by far my favourite fantasy writer, it's bursting at the seams with great characters, brilliant dialogue and some of the bleakest, grimmest stuff in modern fantasy but leavened with a genuinely funny moments. What an ending to a great series, I can't wait for the next set which much surely be on the way. Stupendous.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not counting this one as it’s very likely little more than a novelette, but I rounded off my Halloween reading today with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving.  A great little story, this, and written with a surprising amount of wit; and the narrative is bathed in the spell of autumn, which made it a perfect read for this time of year.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    80. The Asylum by John Harwood. This is a twisty turny Victorian gothic drama about a woman who wakes up one day in a “lunatic asylum”, only to be told that she voluntarily checked herself in the day before under a name she does not recollect. Things obviously get worse from there on out as she continues to insist she is someone completely different and is eventually detained against her will and a certificate of insanity is issued against her. I thought this was great, and it was nice to read something a little outside my usual preferences. This is one of those stories where I was constantly trying to work out what is really going on in the back of my mind as I read. The author does brilliant job of keeping you in the dark, and I was never able to guess just what the hell was going on until he was ready to reveal it. If I have any criticism at all it’s that the finale was a little weak. Great book overall, though.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!