#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    81.  The Prestige by Christopher Priest.  Good Lord!  What a book.  I have almost no words.  I’ve only read three of Priest’s novels so far (each one of them a banger), but I wonder if in this book he is writing at the height of his powers.  The prose is immaculate, the storytelling perfectly plotted and paced.  He’s fast becoming one of my favourite authors.

Where am I going next, @Reg ?
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    82.  The Buried Giant by Kuzuo Ishiguro.  I’ve not read anything by the author before, but after this I will certainly be reading him again.  It’s a gentle fantasy tale about an elderly couple living in Britain sometime after the death of King Arthur, who decide to leave their home village to visit their estranged son.  Their journey is complicated by a mist that hangs over Britain that shrouds all of its inhabitants memories of their past.  Thus they, and so us, don’t even know why they are estranged from him.  It’s a beautiful and oftentimes heartbreaking story, and the writing here is perfection.  This isn’t showy modern fantasy, but something far more profound and thought-provoking.  I loved it.
    Get schwifty.
  • You read so much, but you’ve never read Ishiguro?! I’ve read a few of his and I’m a fan. Great writer.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I took my own sweet time getting there. Better late than never though, right? I’ve already bought Never Let Me Go.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm team Elf here.  I'm nervous you might not like Never Let Me Go though (even though I did...).  I'd have more recommended The Unconsoled, or An Artist of the Floating World.  Remains of the Day and When We Were Orphans are his most famous two I'd have said, and both excellent too.  Don't think I've read his first, or the newer ones, though they're on my shelf...
  • 33. And Away... (Bob Mortimer)
    My first ever audiobook and what a cracker. Bob's memoir charting his life from his days as a cripplingly shy boy in Middlesbrough, suffering through the tragedy of his dad's death to his life changing meeting with Jim Moir and his unlikely comedy career. It's all structured around his heart op and recovery and the change it forced on him. It's, as expected, utterly hilarious and full of bizarre and brilliant moments and observations.

34. The Girl and the Stars (Mark Lawrence)
    A re-read in preparation for the sequel. I don't remember it being quite as YA as it actually is, but it's a great story set in an interesting and richly detailed world. He's a decent fantasy writer, but he's not a patch on Abercrombie.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm team Elf here.  I'm nervous you might not like Never Let Me Go though (even though I did...).  I'd have more recommended The Unconsoled, or An Artist of the Floating World.  Remains of the Day and When We Were Orphans are his most famous two I'd have said, and both excellent too.  Don't think I've read his first, or the newer ones, though they're on my shelf...

Why might I not like Never Let Me Go?
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You might do. Just a gut feel. Less linguistically rich than the others perhaps, not as much happens in it. But I'm somewhat extrapolating from my perception of other books you have & haven't liked, which is a risky science...
  • I really liked A Pale View of Hills, his first book.

Never Let Me Go was actually the first of his that I read. Jury service, Feb 2009 I think. Heavy snow meant judges and defendants etc couldn’t get to the court so I had almost 2 weeks of sitting there all day every day reading books.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    You might do. Just a gut feel. Less linguistically rich than the others perhaps, not as much happens in it. But I'm somewhat extrapolating from my perception of other books you have & haven't liked, which is a risky science...

Fair enough.  Won’t get around to it until next year.  Will let you know how I get on with it.  The other books you mentioned are duly noted.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Midnight’s Children is coming up, though.  :)
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Whoop whoop
  • The Ruins has arrived, will start next week.

Wife bought The Last House on Needless Street while scoping for modern horror.  She liked it more than I did.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Ruins has arrived, will start next week.

Good stuff. Hope you enjoy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    83. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Massive meh. I finished it days ago and it’s taken me this just to write this much. Did not enjoy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Shame. I really enjoyed that one.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I kinda liked it too
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I think some of it might have to do with me not liking dystopian sci-fi…maybe?  It has phenomenal world building, but I didn’t care for the story and there’s just something about the authors storytelling I didn’t like.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Missile Commander Indie published book covering the story of the development of the classic arcade game and the shenanigans of becoming a world record holder.

Splendid book for classic gaming peeps like myself. Lovely hardback presentation and very well written.

I read Brave New World a loooong time ago in my late teens/early 20s and don't remember much about it. That might mean I agree with @Raizel but it is generally well thought of. Perhaps it's just its age? I remember there being a TV mini series of the book but I don't remember much about it either other than the striking look of it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  Didn't realise Kier Dullea of 2001 was in it.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mythos by Stephen Fry is an enjoyable telling of the Greek Myths starting with the creation and leading up to the era of heroes , which is taken up in his 2nd book called Heroes funnily enough.

Fry is good with a pen and is very easy to read and he injects wit and humour into it, but also includes accompanying notes showing how the names of various characters and Gods have ended up in our language, and how some of the tales have their equivalences in religions.

Highly enjoyable despite the mesmerising number of names of characters and the complicated relations between them (which if not followed has no real impact on enjoyment). It's one of those books I wish I could remember in all its detail as it no doubt would make one appear very clever when referencing in conversations. :)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I did Mythos and Heroes on audiobook, both read by the man himself. Fry has such a delicious voice that I couldn’t imagine consuming the books any other way. Have the third book ready to go for next year.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - some sentences I could hear him in my head.

I've already read Heroes. But I have Troy on my shelf - that's next.

I find audio books hard going. I zone out too easily or fall asleep.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    All teh dunes 99p each on Amazon. Might stack em up despite owning some paperback already...
  • Lol didn't realise you did this with books too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ahahahahacry
  • Soooo, finished Harrow, the sequel to Gideon. Can't recall who recommended that? Need a new book. Want to continue scratching my techy magic morbid religious itch. Anyone got anything good?
  • Might have been me?

I'd like to keep scratching a similar itch too so any suggestions in that vein would be great. You quite enjoyed Uprooted and Spinning Silver, right? Novik's Scholomance books might be worth a shot. Very fun.
  • Read those two :(. Both were good.
  • 35. The Tiger & The Wolf (Adrian Tchaikovsky)
    My first fantasy book of his, after loving everything he's done in sci-fi. Didn't disappoint - a world of shape changing animal people divided into different tribes and watched over by their gods march inevitably towards war. The protagonist, half wolf and half tiger, tries to escape her father, tribe and destiny but finds herself pulled ever closer to all three. Loved it. I think he might be my favourite author.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!