I Fucking Hate This Bit
  • Funkstain wrote:
    There are so many but for some reason my mind is stuck on Mario Sunshine. The eel boss thing with the dirty teeth.

I gave up at that part.

All boss battles should be skipable .. couldn’t do the first one on Metroid prime and then never saw the rest of the game
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Stealth is ok as long as there’s enough information and the option of go loud. Loved splinter cell back in the day but not sure I’d have the patience for it now.

Aye, I'm not saying all stealth should go in the bin, but there should be a fallback position should you fail
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've been replaying some Hitman levels by being a bit more reckless, and dealing with my mistakes rather than restarting. It's a fun way to play, flinging scissors at witnesses as they clock you dragging a body. I just hastily dropped a body over a ledge before someone saw it....straight into a group of civilians I didn't realise were below.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely Frank Spencerman.

Should be an option for comedy backing laughter track.
  • Bob wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    There are so many but for some reason my mind is stuck on Mario Sunshine. The eel boss thing with the dirty teeth.

I gave up at that part.

All boss battles should be skipable .. couldn’t do the first one on Metroid prime and then never saw the rest of the game

Agreed. They should me skippable after a certain number of tries. I like what Control did, there was a option you can enbale that one shot kills enemies, bosses included. So if a boss is annoying you, turn that option on, get a single shot off and boss is finished. Nice. Bosses are so cliche and 1980s arcade reminant. Why does there always have to be an ultimate big bad? I get some games i.e. Souls games need them but not all action games do.

Metro Exodus end was refreshing as there was no big boss battle at the end.

Probably deserves its own thread, but i am wondering how much the next gen consoles almost instant load times will change game environment designs. Speaking of Metro Exodus the load time after death is almost a minute. A minute. Way too long to get back in the action. Thats frustating.That therefore influences how you approach the environment and the risks you take, plus difficulty level you play on.
  • Bed of chaos. Every single time..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Remember bloodborne at the beginning when the reload times on the game was literally five minutes and a black screen..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • What they should do, right, is put all the bosses in one game and let me have it so you don't have to do bosses and I can just do all of them.
  • Tempy wrote:
    What they should do, right, is put all the bosses in one game and let me have it so you don't have to do bosses and I can just do all of them.

I too like Shadow of the Colossus.
  • Anything that requires trial and error. I can't think of any specific examples but it crops up now and again across some games. If it's not obvious what is required to progress in a game, hasn't been explained and the only way to push on is to die until you find the game's stipulation for progression then just no thank you.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I've been replaying some Hitman levels by being a bit more reckless, and dealing with my mistakes rather than restarting. It's a fun way to play, flinging scissors at witnesses as they clock you dragging a body. I just hastily dropped a body over a ledge before someone saw it....straight into a group of civilians I didn't realise were below.

This is the way to play Hitman. All my fondest memories are when the plan goes wrong and you have to think on your feet. I was once caught dragging a body by a chambermaid, I swear there were a few seconds where we locked eyes, frozen. Great stuff. I've always said Hitman is great because it's as much stealth as you want, it's not forced, for the most part, and where it is forced, it loses my interest a bit.

Re. losing all your kit bits, the RDR2 versions were amazing
    Spoiler:

Amazing game.
  • Other than heavy stealth games in general (I don't include Hitmans there for the reason above), I don't find any bits in any games I've played bin-worthy.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:

I gave up at that part.

Agreed. They should me skippable after a certain number of tries. I like what Control did, there was a option you can enbale that one shot kills enemies, bosses included. So if a boss is annoying you, turn that option on, get a single shot off and boss is finished. Nice. Bosses are so cliche and 1980s arcade reminant. Why does there always have to be an ultimate big bad? I get some games i.e. Souls games need them but not all action games do.

Metro Exodus end was refreshing as there was no big boss battle at the end.

Probably deserves its own thread, but i am wondering how much the next gen consoles almost instant load times will change game environment designs. Speaking of Metro Exodus the load time after death is almost a minute. A minute. Way too long to get back in the action. Thats frustating.That therefore influences how you approach the environment and the risks you take, plus difficulty level you play on.

NFS:HP is criminal
    For this takes ages to reload and then skip the intro to get back into the action
    The Forum Herald™
  • Another one here for BotW stealth.
    In the bin with it.
  • There are a few in Conker's Bad Fur Day which are frustrating as hell.

Pissing on the rock people was frustrating. However the lava hoverboard race was near impossible. I did it on the N64 and went on to complete the game but I couldn't repeat it on the Xbox.
    Mostly the game is a miss mash of different ideas with terrible controls that they then decided to make super hard in places to make artificial barriers. I imagine it was a decision to artificially extend the game.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Anyway, I accidentally got past the stupid underwater bit in Tomb Raider and now it's back to being a white person murdering the population of South America. Good stuff, and it's all for a good cause.
  • Having to travel back to heat and freeze the key cards in MGS.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Also, any game that makes you sit through a cut scene at the start of a check point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh I have one: GnG lol you gotta do it again. Fuck. Off.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What's GnG?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ghosts n Goblins?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Just got to the Maykr fight in Doom Eternal, and it can fuck right off.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow wrote:
    Ghosts n Goblins?

Yup!

Great game but when I've gone through once I consider it done, I'm not going through the whole game again for an extra boss fight. I should do it on emu with save states maybe, but I don't like to scrub it up (I have the SNES cart).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Anything that requires trial and error. I can't think of any specific examples but it crops up now and again across some games. If it's not obvious what is required to progress in a game, hasn't been explained and the only way to push on is to die until you find the game's stipulation for progression then just no thank you.

This. Any section of a game (typically platformers) that requires an ultra-precise set of timed actions that can only be arrived at by repeated trial and error.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also....
    davyK wrote:
    Stopped huffing and went back to Conduit last night. Burned up 2 hours trying to get past the same bit. Fuck. Me. It's a round room with portals on the wall that generate enemies. You have to shoot these portals with a REALLY slow reloading grenade launcher so you are leaping about like a loon trying to avoid fire trying to take these fucking things out. Then when that is done you have to clear out the remaining enemies. I've dealt with the portals but then have 1% health and have to switch weapons to deal with them.  The game seems to have a checkpoint that is a few enemies after you take out the portals (going by the playthrough). This section includes a short trek across open ground against enemies and fucking homing drones that explode on impact to even get to that the round room. There is a health boost at the entrance which seems to be the only sop to people like me who are shit at FPS games. A few hits can deplete your health bar in seconds. You have to do it all in one go. No auto-save or PC FPS quick save here. Fuck. Me. This has been an entertaining corridor/room shooter until this bit. It will be a real pity if I have to abandon this because of this one section. :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Just got to the Maykr fight in Doom Eternal, and it can fuck right off.

I didn’t get that far (I think) but the bit that made me turn it off and delete was when it added yet another combat element to an already very complicated set up. Was the last straw for me when I wasn’t particularly enjoying it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • The scissors bit in Phogs is hideous.
  • To the point where I can't see how it hasn't been fixed yet, the game's been out for over a month.
  • davyK wrote:
    Also....
    davyK wrote:
    Stopped huffing and went back to Conduit last night. Burned up 2 hours trying to get past the same bit. Fuck. Me. It's a round room with portals on the wall that generate enemies. You have to shoot these portals with a REALLY slow reloading grenade launcher so you are leaping about like a loon trying to avoid fire trying to take these fucking things out. Then when that is done you have to clear out the remaining enemies. I've dealt with the portals but then have 1% health and have to switch weapons to deal with them.  The game seems to have a checkpoint that is a few enemies after you take out the portals (going by the playthrough). This section includes a short trek across open ground against enemies and fucking homing drones that explode on impact to even get to that the round room. There is a health boost at the entrance which seems to be the only sop to people like me who are shit at FPS games. A few hits can deplete your health bar in seconds. You have to do it all in one go. No auto-save or PC FPS quick save here. Fuck. Me. This has been an entertaining corridor/room shooter until this bit. It will be a real pity if I have to abandon this because of this one section. :(

Did you ever go back?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tempy wrote:
    What they should do, right, is put all the bosses in one game and let me have it so you don't have to do bosses and I can just do all of them.

I have often genuinely thought this would be great.  A game where you could just offload the bosses to people who like that sort of thing.  I love the wondering around, exploring the world, talking to characters and doing what is, all things said and done, glorified admin - but I mostly hate bosses.  

There are exceptions - bosses that are simply culminations of a mechanic you've learned in game, as a kind of final exam - I don't mind those.  Bosses that are all about learning their attacks after hours of repeatedly losing to them, and any that require the reflexes of a 12 year old, can all go in the bin - or better still, handed to people who actually find it fun.

So, yeah, an online game that let's you outsource to others sounds great. I'll do the faffy grindy story bit, and you can fight the monster that's the size of a 10 storey building with a glowing weak spot that requires split second timing to hit, and then we'll both be happy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!