The not at all pretentious(!) video game debate thread
  • The Last Of Us footage is an interesting one. I found it quite distasteful, and that's probably a lot to do with the context, tone and realistic virtual human characters just being depressingly awful to each other. It's a world away from 8-bit pixel violence.
    However I am willing to concede that it's a dangerous view to condemn the game just solely on viewing a tiny bit of footage, rather than playing the actual game in it's entirety. At the very least I'm intrigued by the title, and I'll be interested to see if they deal with the violence in a mature way. Given that the protagonists are an older man and a quite young girl, the scope is there for something a bit more thought provoking than just the usual tag-team ultra-violence.

my jury is out on this one

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Didn't think the Last Of Us was a zombie game from what I saw... But the violence?

It's very well depicted (the animation is stunning). Plus you have this young girl with you, and that plays on the mind very slightly, especially with the way she also reacts to her surroundings and the player's action. And the sound is unreal... It's like a film. But you clearly have control over everything (or so the demo suggests), so for me watching that demo, I really did get an emotional response out of it. 
    One that's certain quite close to the 'intent' of some of the film sequences I seen recently.

Someone did a very good job of thinking that all through, I felt.

More than anything else I saw on the conference streams.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Just watched a 7 minute gameplay video from E3, was that the one? Didn't seem bad to me, usual violence. Seems tamer than Manhunt, anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    However I am willing to concede that it's a dangerous view to condemn the game just solely on viewing a tiny bit of footage, rather than playing the actual game in it's entirety.

Oh yes, most definitely. But I was rather impressed.
    It, and Carmack's bins, have been the most 'next gen' things on display so far.
  • daviedigi wrote:
    i love games more than movies so if i could make either id pick game everytime. thing i really like about cage is that he try's to do something diffrent. everyone moans about militry style fps games all the time but at least this guys trying and taking risks. woulda loved to see what coulda become of 'kara' though being a massive g.i.t.s. fan.

It's not the trying something new that bugs me, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to be interested in making games as such. He seems to want to make interactive stories or something. To be honest, I reckon he'd be happy if we stopped referring to his work as video games altogether. That's fine, it's just I'm not that interested in "interactive stories", I'm interested in games. If you can work all the heavy emotional stuff into a game that is at heart fundamentally and completely a game (and a good one at that) then I'll buy into it.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Here is a contribution: The word "emotion" covers enough states for basically anything to qualify insofar as everything we do and experience provokes an emotion unless you're clinically psychotic.

Though I now notice that G actually covered this already so on with the Cage hate. He is a fucking toad.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Just watched a 7 minute gameplay video from E3, was that the one? Didn't seem bad to me, usual violence. Seems tamer than Manhunt, anyway.

Imagine though, if it's an 18+ game, and you can go through the entire thing without killing a soul. Or perhaps you can play it as the demo suggests, in a fairly violent way, clearing a path for you and the kid's safety. Or perhaps you can slip up, and the girl is killed, but you can still fight through to the end. Or perhaps you  can even snuff the girl (accidently or otherwise) and everyone else...

It's very well poised for something very interesting... I suspect that's the Director's intention...
  • I've never felt as low playing games as I have after losing all my goodies after an extended mining session in minecraft or as elated after managing to break the surface at dawn and manage to limp home with a load of loot. All this without any narrative or scripting.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Here is a contribution: The word "emotion" covers enough states for basically anything to qualify insofar as everything we do and experience provokes an emotion unless you're clinically psychotic.

True. I suppose when developers are talking about this sort of thing what they really mean is that they are trying to create a deliberate emotional response, for example trying to make the player "sad" or "scared" as opposed to just making the game difficult and then invoking emotions of rage or despair as a by-product.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Imagine though, if it's an 18+ game, and you can go through the entire thing without killing a soul. Or perhaps you can play it as the demo suggests, in a fairly violent way, clearing a path for you and the kid's safety. Or perhaps you can slip up, and the girl is killed, but you can still fight through to the end. Or perhaps you  can even snuff the girl (accidently or otherwise) and everyone else... It's very well poised for something very interesting... I suspect that's the Director's intention...

Depends on how well portrayed the girl is. Chances are she could be annoying and I wouldn't care what happened to her. Surely you can say this about any game with side characters etc? I don't see the appeal of Last of Us or what's different about it.
  • I suppose when developers are talking about this sort of thing what they really mean is that they are trying to create a deliberate emotional response, for example trying to make the player "sad" or "scared" as opposed to just making the game difficult and then invoking emotions of rage or despair as a by-product.

After a time, there's little categorical difference.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Just watched a 7 minute gameplay video from E3, was that the one? Didn't seem bad to me, usual violence. Seems tamer than Manhunt, anyway.
    The increased graphical fidelity meant it had a bit more impact on me than Manhunter. Less fun, more provocative. Provocative is usually good, but violence is a very tricky subject in videogames because it's so prevalent.
  • And really the only thing to use that provocation for now is to make some kind of tired "don't you feel just shit about yourself for watching/playing this huh doncha doncha huh hmmm" point so that that can get to fuck as a justification.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I don't see the appeal of Last of Us or what's different about it.
    I see a Resident Evil 4 level of attention to detail in there. If they can get the level design right, and let players make some big, proper choices, then it could be very good indeed.

At the very least, we'll see a high production 3rd person shooter where 'Private Max' (insert generic military cutout name here) has no need to tell 'General Johnson' where to get off.
  • I'm worried that we're getting a bit carried away with Last Of Us, people seem to be imagining choices and revolution, I reckon it will be Uncharted with the swashbuckling breeziness replaced by grimness and death.
  • Oh it'll be the latter fo sho.

We can probably still look forward to a healthy quip-per-minute rate.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @I_R - That's pretty much what G said about the length of the demo. But this is very much a 'what if' thread, and I thought the game to be quite relevant.
  • @I_R - That's pretty much what G said about the length of the demo. But this is very much a 'what if' thread, and I thought the game to be quite relevant.

Putting aside my feeling that the game looks generic, it is perfectly possible that the devs end up using the girl as a "let's get some emotion in there" tool/MacGuffin. Like get you attached to her and kill her near the end.  But I don't see that as a problem. Some here are saying that deliberately trying to put emotional content in a game is an issue and detracts from the gamey game itself.

On the violence, it may be somewhat graphic, but it makes me feel nothing. Maybe that says something about me.
  • Lol@the first ten posts that's the worst thing about this forum explained.

I'll post in the morning but good thread. Much better than mine :) xx
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @I_R - That's pretty much what G said about the length of the demo. But this is very much a 'what if' thread, and I thought the game to be quite relevant.
    Putting aside my feeling that the game looks generic, it is perfectly possible that the devs end up using the girl as a "let's get some emotion in there" tool/MacGuffin. Like get you attached to her and kill her near the end.  But I don't see that as a problem. Some here are saying that deliberately trying to put emotional content in a game is an issue and detracts from the gamey game itself. On the violence, it may be somewhat graphic, but it makes me feel nothing. Maybe that says something about me.
    It certainly wouldn't surprise me if one of you died at the end of the game. Would it be any more interesting if you had to choose whether to sacrifice your character in order for hers to live?

regards

g.man
  • Can someone tell me what the original thread title was! Shit got mums net!
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • This whole topic of "emotions in games?" is inherently flawed as, and this has been previously mentioned, games are already teeming with emotion as is. The sense of beating a score in Trials HD has provided me with more happiness and elation than any movie ever has.

What they are aiming for is empathy, a far more complicated ideal than eliciting an emotion. As is, I'd prefer the game to be just that rather than some reverse engineered Voight-Kampff duper. 

Cage's work is all well and good (don't mind someone trying something different, he'll not be the one to achieve his goal) and we'll get there eventually, no rush though
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Fair point there Shinj.
  • g.man wrote:
    It certainly wouldn't surprise me if one of you died at the end of the game. Would it be any more interesting if you had to choose whether to sacrifice your character in order for hers to live?

I think it would. If done correctly, such a choice towards/at the end of the game would enhance the experience for me. It would elevate the game from action shooter with good mechanics and gritty violence (assuming it ends up playing well), to something else that we can connect to better, or at least in a different way. See ICO. Last bit of the game was brilliant, and it wouldn't have worked if the whole game didn't lead up to it like it did. Without emo at the end, it would've been "just a little dungeon to escape".
  • Spock wrote:
    Can someone tell me what the original thread title was! Shit got mums net!

Do games make you fart?
  • Yup, it would just be nice if devs tried a little harder to think of ways to push your buttons rather than the obvious OMG the girl has died and now I'm sad schtick. We've been there and done that, as you rightly point out, hence my above suggestion.

regards

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    The Last Of Us footage is an interesting one. I found it quite distasteful, and that's probably a lot to do with the context, tone and realistic virtual human characters just being depressingly awful to each other

I agree. 

Its the developers fault for this but we are judging it on the pretence that its an action orientated 'violence without consequence' 3rd person game. Which im sure is a fitting category for it. And which is why the violence seems like its their for purely shock and fun.

Make the characters, make the audience feel likes its survival not action. Add some true weight to the emotions either from story or from character traits/animation. And finally promote it in such away.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I think it would. If done correctly, such a choice towards/at the end of the game would enhance the experience for me. It would elevate the game from action shooter with good mechanics and gritty violence (assuming it ends up playing well), to something else that we can connect to better, or at least in a different way. See ICO. Last bit of the game was brilliant, and it wouldn't have worked if the whole game didn't lead up to it like it did. Without emo at the end, it would've been "just a little dungeon to escape".

I didn't want to be the first to mention ICO. :D

That game did 'suspense' rather well, even if it was all highly scripted. 
    Yorda's superb animation also did a lot to help the whole thing along. So why don't other developers attempt such shit? 

Look at Majora's Mask for example...

That pushed the 'suspense' angle all the way with a very clever mechanic. But while I appreciated the intent, I fucking hated the game, because I spent much of the time NOT BEING LINK... That made me think about how much I actually enjoy playing the role of Link (fuck knows what that says about me...). I almost ended up hating the developer for promising me the role of Link just to turn me (incidentally, quite likely) into a 'scrub'.

For each 'game day' in Majora's Mask, you're left wondering, "When can I get my sword and shield back so I can deal with that fucking Skullkid"... And that's the fucking game!

You can suspend a film for it's duration (like Colin Farell in the rather superb 'Phone Booth'), but I don't think it's at all possible to do that in a game.

Why do people bitch about this topic (games vs film), so fucking hard?
  • While it was fairly tongue in cheek/silly/ott, Noughty Dog's work on uncharted does suggest they know how to do ok on the voice acting/animation front, and that is certainly part of the battle.

I don't mind the violence if they balance it with enough you are surviving mkay caveats. Even allowing for some hamfistedness.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Shinji wrote:
    What they are aiming for is empathy, a far more complicated ideal than eliciting an emotion. As is, I'd prefer the game to be just that rather than some reverse engineered Voight-Kampff duper.
    Well, there's empathy with your own character in some cases (the feeling of fear when you step into unexplored territory in a horror game - it's not fear for your own safety, is it?), and also I think there are some examples where games have created empathy for other characters. Mass Effect has come up with some excellent moral dilemmas, and especially in the 3rd game, after you've spent a lot of time getting to know some characters and their detailed backgrounds, it can influence your decision. It's also probably good that these decisions aren't necessarily right or wrong in game terms, because of course you'd be tempted to go for the reward if that were the case. Anyway, I think it shows that if NPCs are well drawn enough they can make you give a shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!