Should I let my 4 year old play Quake 2?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What should C's first game be
  • Jimmy White’s Whirlwind Snooker for Amiga.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Appreciate the reference but don't steal LivDivs thunder
  • Stolen Thunder for the C64.
  • Costume Quest 2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    These are all good
  • Super Mario World
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That was obviously my first pick
  • Learning to dance well.
  • Kid Gloves on Amiga
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Kid Gloves on Amiga

Welcome back
  • Probably it will be something on your phone or tablet device before a full console experience. A Toca Boca app or an endless runner like Sky Safari. But if you want to have them jump right in with an FPS, go with Doom Eternal, sure.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • On the general subject.

Where do parents stand on Ghostbusters? It isnt a violent or gruesome movie but could genuinely cause nightmares.

Then again I absolutely loved it as a kid and that song should be enjoyed by all kids. I have a mate whose kid is mental for it, he likes all the usual stuff a 6 year old would be into but is nuts for Ghostbusters.

Adams Family too. What is the right age for fun scary?
  • Ghostbusters is a funny one. I just watched it this evening with my 9 yr old and she loves it. There's a few references to sex, including an implied blowjob from an invisible ghost. I think some of them references were too nuanced for her.

That said, when she first saw Ghostbusters and the sequel at age 6 (not on my watch!!!) She had nightmares for weeks. I was royally pissed that she saw it but that side of her family are very cavalier about ratings...

If you're not sure, then wait.
  • Yeah the library ghost is a proper horror jump scare moment.
  • Tilly (6) watched both Addams Family films towards the end of last year and I was a bit squirmy in places.  I got the eyebrows from the wife at least twice.  

She's not ready for Ghostbusters yet.  The goalposts have moved slightly for what you'd expect from a PG imo, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's shifted.  The sex references wouldn't fly these days, nor would repeated use of 'shit' (see The Goonies, and throw in the coke & speed/sexual torture device references), although I could be wrong.  On the flipside, in my day there wouldn't have been a snowball's chance in hell of The Fellowship of Ring getting passed as a PG because of beheadings, Boromir's drawn out demise and whatnot.  

Watership Down is still classified U and that contains a seagull shouting piss off, mutilated rabbits, disemboweled rabbits, rabbits with eyes popping out as they're munched on by a Rottweiler and multiple scenes of a distressing nature.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Commonsensemedia.org is a useful website for checking if a film is suitable. It gives you a parents age rating, and a kids age rating, plus breaks down any issues like sex, violence, drugs etc and let's you know whats in the film so you can make a better decision.

It's all very individual though. Isla was fine with all of the Harry Potter films at age 5, but couldn't get through the first act of Pirates of the Caribbean as soon as the scary pirates showed up.
  • My boy was 9 when we watched Addams Family this Halloween just gone. He really enjoyed it.

Funnily enough I've been thinking of showing him Ghostbusters as well, I *think* he'll be fine but you never know
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I won't let Olivia (9) play fortnite because umm..

Fortnite has a PEGI rating of 12, PEGI have said this is due to the: 'frequent scenes of mild violence. It is not suitable for persons under 12 years of age'.

and if i'm playing modern ops on my ipad I won't let her watch. Perhaps i'm being too protective. 

Coincidentally she's somehow heard about Ghostbusters at school (presumably someones seen it in her class) and I had been debating if she could watch it but she gets nightmares (or says she does but i think some of it is just wanting another cuddle before bed) from anything remotely scary with red eyes (like in the mask or tonnes of other films where the enemy/bad guy has red eyes). So I may swerve it. We tried Dr Who the other week, got through episode one but the smoke mouthed red eyed zombie thing in episode 2 was a firm no from her. 

I'm in no rush to push her forwards with higher rated stuff, other than the fact she's watched almost everything decent rated for her age.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I saw Ghostbusters 2 in the cinema. I think I was 4.

I had nightmares about Vigo for months. But I turned out okay.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    From what I remember of Ghostbusters once you get past the library jump scare I think kids would be OK with it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I saw Return to Oz in the cinema. I think I was 4.

I had nightmares about The Wheelers for months. But I turned out okay.

• Return to Oz still gives me nightmares (Mobi in particular) as does the thought of the woman at the end of Superman 3 who gets turned into a robot.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is the bar "some people did X and turned out ok" or "most people would have been happier not doing X"?  I guess it's a parent's frequent dilemma.  As above, I suspect I'm overly protective, but none of mine seem to be clamouring for any more...
  • I think the 'turned out okay' above was tongue in cheek. It has no bearing on how anyone else should conduct their affairs anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It absolutely was tongue in cheek to suggest you had reg foisted on the forum as a result of thar movie
  • We all know the actual reason is SLC Punk!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That movie sucks but I at least recognised bits of it.

Dumb and Dumber is also filmed in SLC and the aspen bit is up near Park City where I used to live fwiw.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The first film I watched as a kid that affected my dreams was The Birds. Not nightmares but I did dream a lot about birds swarming.

Films back then though - there just wasn't the scare filled stuff that you get now - even cheap crap can have good jump scares in them.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gremlins have me nightmares as a kid. That first time you see them turning, steaming away in the attic etc. 

Also, my brother say and watched Alien/s with little me sat in the same room. Repeated Xenonorph nightmares was not nice. 

Predator is another. I love my brother for introducing me to it, but maybe not at 8 or 9 years old.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!