Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just some M&P from Galloways. Not my first choice but I was passing and there was a parking spot. What's a man to do?
  • Watching a streamer play it. Looks really phoned in.

It's Mario Golf.. Being phoned in is par for the course.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What is your favourite pie, Bob?
  • I fear the sports (maybe all the party games) games are going to have this two tier approach where they create the new thing and get it right technically but flub on the flair and then they release a second part two years later which is the expansion pack sold as a full game.

The rush thing is in itself innovative for a golf game but they probably spent so long getting it right (and the weird curving mechanics and the change in the Mario golf swing formula) that the bandwidth for creating the good version of this on budget is gone.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The rush thing isn't innovative for a golf game. There's an almost identical mode on PGA 2k21, you just don't run around the course. It's about speed over accuracy.
  • Was in the 3DS Mario Golf too, minus the running and jostling.
  • And the PS4 EG game...

Wheres the postie???
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought there was a speed golf mode in an earlier Mario Golf game ? There was no running between holes though - more just a straight time trial (could be wrong). I still like the idea of running the course as a mode - just wouldn't want it to be front and centre.

Still really like the motionplus frisbee mode on Wii that was in the TW games and Wii Sports Resort.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks like you run out of stamina though and is really pedestrian? Should be manic dashing if anything, bouncing off trees
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I anticipated a Mario64 style thing with courses that rewarded some gentle exploration.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck it though - I'll probably still get it. :)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Looks like you run out of stamina though and is really pedestrian? Should be manic dashing if anything, bouncing off trees

Do not worry, you can upgrade your stamina and run speed!
  • So all three of you have said it exists before but didn’t include the new bit. That’s part of the game now. The speed of hitting balancing with getting to the ball first with good stats. You might hit it a million miles but if you huff and puff to each shot you may lose that specific advantage because someone can play their shots quicker.
  • What is your favourite pie, Bob?
    The Forum Herald™
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What a shit pie.
  • Yeah it's mid tier Oasis at best. I take it back.

The Forum Herald™
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oasis never got past mid tier.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Oasis never got past mid tier.

The debut is a stone cold classic. Should've split after that.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Mario super rush is the oasis of mario golf games
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Bob wrote:
    The debut is a stone cold classic
    Nah it isn't
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Mario super rush is the oasis of mario golf games

Massively overrated paint by numbers lad rock enjoyed by ladsladslads drinking Stella and reading Loaded magazine?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    So all three of you have said it exists before but didn’t include the new bit. That’s part of the game now. The speed of hitting balancing with getting to the ball first with good stats. You might hit it a million miles but if you huff and puff to each shot you may lose that specific advantage because someone can play their shots quicker.

That will get very fucking old very fucking quick though.

I've heard it actually takes longer to do a round by running than actually playing normally. Speed my arse.
  • Yes it does. But it’s like saying Mario kart takes longer to get round the track because you have to drive between first and last bends of the race. It’s not perfect but they’re doing something different with the golf game. It’s as much a racing a game as it is a golf game - maybe something closer to a biathlon.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That just sounds...yeah.

If it'd been any other dev etc.
  • It’s just different. You’re right it’s not likely to have been seen or tried on such a scale by a different person but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Personally I’m not sure myself but it’s definitely got a different feeling to most golf games and a risky take on the sport.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It looks exactly like every other Mario Golf game, albeit a bit phoned in, with a bit of running around some bland courses. Again I haven't played it and that could be amazing fun but it absolutely looks fucking awful and tedious. Got a feeling it'll die on its arse pretty quick online due to it.

I wouldn't call it risky in a casual golf game when you can free roam around the courses in EG. If it'd been Rory Mc's and you have to run and bump into Phil Mickleson in-between the 11th and 12th at Augusta I'd get ya.
  • I’ve only played adventure mode for 3-4 hours but I have no idea what the running bits bring to the game - it seems to make no tangible difference at all.  Like it doesn’t feel fun yet.  If you’re doing a mario game where you’re running and jumping, there’s pretty high standards!  Here you’re like just running along a fairway and managing a stamina bar.  It just makes courses go longer so far.  I don’t get it.

Also aiming is too easy at least early on; going full strength, the ball lands pretty much wear you aim it doesn’t it?  Judging how far the ball goes after the bounce is fun though.  I find it very pleasant to play in normal golf modes.  It looks lovely too.  And Birdo/Mama is a legend.

Very early but this does seem like one of those 7’s where if they just did it normally it would be a 9 (ie lose the running bits.  Higher chance for shots going haywire when you go full strength).  Non running stuff doesn’t feel phoned in to me.  Hopefully the dlc comes good.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • As long as the standard golf experience is decent I expect I'll be happy. Same with Mario Tennis Aces really - the breakable racket stuff worked well enough, but I still turned it off in favour of a basic but good arcade tennis game. I don't want new and different, I want a new version of the same old same old. Wario's giving me hope that I'll be able to NoNonsense this in the options screen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!