Mario Golf Tournament - ends 07/11
  • Did you realise you can use the tornadoes to move the ball?
  • Yeah, that just exacerbated the shiteness for me. 'Tis a silly mode. The window dressing reminds me of Nights into Dreams, where the flight sections were divine but the 3D walking bits were the guff you had to suffer in between. See also: Driver 3, the on foot sections in Urban Strike and probably half a dozen other why did you do that?? videogame design decisions over the years.

Loving the golf, actually quite enjoying the adventure mode (up to a silver badge at the mo), but the whole thing exudes complacency. Everything that's been added to the core golf experience feels undercooked and the graphics might tick a few of the bold/bright/chunky boxes, but they're weak. We know what the Switch can do and we know how far Nintendo can push it when they care to do so. This looks like a top level OG Wii game running on some sort of HD PC emulator to me.

In spite of all this I love it, but Camelot were sleepwalking their way through the development process imo.
  • My thoughts for what it's worth.

*the swing mechanic changes are pretty pointless
    * running between shots is pretty pointless. I'd rather see what my shot was doing so I can learn from what I'm inputting. I know there's a trail afterwards but it's not quite the same
    * walking between shots is pointless. The last one needed a career mode but this isn't it.
    * It's lost some of the mario magic at least in adventure mode. it's very generic.
    * spin doesn't seem to work at all the hints keep telling me to press b.. but I can't see it and of course as I can't see my ball land I've no idea whether it's doing anything.
    * so far it's a bit easy. Won the first tournament but 12 shots.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Spin works by pressing A to have the ball run on, or B for backspin.  So you press A to make that first bar rise up, then when the gauge reaches the desired power position you'd press either A (or AA) or B (or BB) for backspin (parenthesis for super versions of each).  It does work, but backspin seems overly useful to me.
  • wait, do you have to walk between shots even in standard mode?
    i figured that running around stuff would just be a one off party mode type thing
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • There's no walking in standard golf but plenty of it in the adventure mode.
  • I've only played adventure

@moot.. this is on teh second press obviously? Which seems to work exactly as every other game used to on the down swing but insists on going up instead for the sake of being different?
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's a press to get it going, Bob. Then a second press to select the power/distance (that's when you can press B twice for a super backspin), and then a third press for the accuracy.
  • It doesn't really remove it though does it it still three clicks. One to start it going one to stop it the first time and once to stop it a second time.  it's essentially the same but instead of the bar going back down again and try to stop it on the line it goes back up again.?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    No, you don't need to stop it a second time, it'll do that automatically. You put curve on the shot using the stick when it's going up for the second time.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Unless I’ve missed something, and have been playing wrongly, there is no third press for accuracy.

This, afaik.  The final section is for shaping the shot.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    No, you don't need to stop it a second time, it'll do that automatically. You put curve on the shot using the stick when it's going up for the second time.

Ah that makes more sense. I don't really like the curve mind as it doesn't feel as useful as left and right spin in a normal golf game.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah the thing the game adds is the third phase where you try and compensate for the weirdness of the land.

If you have high spin you can do some funky shots, that’s what you’re meant to be concentrating the second time the bar goes up rather than the timing for quality of shot. It’s interesting except I’m not quite convinced any shot needs to be that clever.
  • Birdorf wrote:

Oh, I’ve totally been doing that. Never mind!
  • The Snow King eh? So this is what a run-of-the-mill adventure golf Dreamcast game would play like. Pish.
  • Switched to the just play golf mode and still struggling to get spin working. So I press A to start the swing then the button I want to add spin next and then again during the second 'swing'.

Also for me the forum is now all italic??
    The Forum Herald™
  • Maybe. The first time you press A yu start the bar moving.

The next time you press a button will stop the bar. If you press A once you get a normal spin, if you double tap A you get top spin, if you press B you get back spin and if you double tap B you get super back spin.

After that the only thing that will affect the shot is using the analogue stick to control spin no button pressing will do anything after you’ve stopped the bar the first time.
  • Ah I see it what I stop the bar with first time and you do both presses together?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yep. If you want top spin you do two fast A taps (where you’d normally press A) and if you want super back spin it’s two fast B taps.
  • Also I don't like the choice of Adventure mode with it's wandering around and a sort of bare bones play golf set your own thing up. It needs like an arcade mode or something. Like how with everybodys golf you go one on one with vs. characters to unlock them. Seems purpose built for a mario golf game with it's roster of mario characters.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I can't do that 9 holes in 40 shots bit in adventure mode. Tried like 5 times. Someone needs to give me optimal order
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Also I don't like the choice of Adventure mode with it's wandering around and a sort of bare bones play golf set your own thing up. It needs like an arcade mode or something. Like how with everybodys golf you go one on one with vs. characters to unlock them. Seems purpose built for a mario golf game with it's roster of mario characters.

That's what the older games were about in 1P. You had a selection of cups to win and unlock courses and also there were was a 1vCPU mode to unlock characters.

The control scheme sounds very similar too with the AB, BA, AA, BB thing - just the analogue swing is missing from the old games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I can't do that 9 holes in 40 shots bit in adventure mode. Tried like 5 times. Someone needs to give me optimal order

I did that last night:
    Spoiler:

Things can only get better.
  • I've not had a chance to play this since Friday and it's annoying me.
  • I've not had a chance to play this since Friday and it's annoying me.

Same. I've only played a few rounds with the kids. Not touched the actual SP stuff
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think it isn't very good.

Sorry.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think it isn't very good.

Sorry.

I think I agree. Rather phoned in.
    The Forum Herald™
  • 6.5 out of 10
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!