Returnal - on PC now
  • I can play it for 90 mins and offer a review ahead, if you’d like?
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I can play it for 90 mins and offer a review ahead, if you’d like?

Please do. Play special attention to the start menu. Does it say Press X? Press Any Key? How loud are the noises? Is it Outrun?

Cover all the important bases.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    drumbeg wrote:
    I saw some leaked review content that described the game as great but with "insurmountable difficulty". Bring it on!
    I just read that one, the reviewer hasn't beaten the second boss after 20hrs and describes 'Demon's Soul' as a cakewalk in comparison. It does sound a bit tricky.
    That's surprising. FWIW I've finished the whole thing. There were some tough parts, but overall I don't think it's *that* difficult.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Numbers are important too. How many BLIPS? how many FLOPS?
  • Harder than Demon's, sure. Certainly not harder than Bloodborne, though.
  • Syph79 wrote:

Please do. Play special attention to the start menu. Does it say Press X? Press Any Key? How loud are the noises? Is it Outrun?

Cover all the important bases.

What pronoun does the led character use on twitter?
    Can-of-sprite
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Numbers are important too. How many BLIPS? how many FLOPS?

It’s reading the disc. This sounds a little blippy so far. I have heard/seen no flops.
  • The game icon/image looks like Selene standing in front of bubble rap, some of which has been popped.

10/10
  • Skade wrote:
    Please do. Play special attention to the start menu. Does it say Press X? Press Any Key? How loud are the noises? Is it Outrun? Cover all the important bases.
    What pronoun does the led character use on twitter?
    Shkle
  • JonB wrote:
    Harder than Demon's, sure. Certainly not harder than Bloodborne, though.

Sounds like another one for my "I really like this but I'll never finish it" list.  (Which is generally what I expect with Roguelikes anyway to be honest - the advantage of them changing each time is that my being a bit shit doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth playing again.)

To what degree can you improve your chances by understanding and exploiting the systems in play? (I appreciate you may not be allowed to answer that question for another 2 hours...)
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Please do. Play special attention to the start menu. Does it say Press X? Press Any Key? How loud are the noises? Is it Outrun? Cover all the important bases.

15 minute install from disc. Straight after the game launched it started downloading a patch.

This may concern you, but there doesn't appear to be a menu at first boot - goes straight into the game.

Noises seems to reflect the speakers.

It is not Outrun.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    It is not Outrun.

Thanks pal.
    Still hype!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Harder than Demon's, sure. Certainly not harder than Bloodborne, though.

I’ve got this
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Are there any bells? #PrayForElf
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Are there any bells? #PrayForElf

I have found a key, no bells so far.

I have a meeting now, so have to stop. Will pick up after.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    To what degree can you improve your chances by understanding and exploiting the systems in play? (I appreciate you may not be allowed to answer that question for another 2 hours...)
    Ah, it's probably fine now.

Honestly I think it's mainly a case of adapting to its way of doing things, which means getting into the Roguelike rhythm of it.

This is non-specific structural stuff, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case:
    Spoiler:
  • JonB wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Ah, it's probably fine now. Honestly I think it's mainly a case of adapting to its way of doing things, which means getting into the Roguelike rhythm of it. This is non-specific structural stuff, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case:
    Spoiler:

That's great thanks.
    Spoiler:
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:

15 minute install from disc. Straight after the game launched it started downloading a patch.

This may concern you, but there doesn't appear to be a menu at first boot - goes straight into the game.

Noises seems to reflect the speakers.

It is not Outrun.

70 quid and they don’t even give you a start screen for that money?!

#LazyDevs
  • This is comfortably AA/BBB level, right? Don't think Housemarque have ever made anything *big*. That's why £70 sticks so hard to me. Any different publisher and this would be in a 2024 indie sizzle reel, imo.

Anyway, price aside, game looks class. Hopeful of good reviews, and that you lot devour it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got setup. Got my headset ready. Got my drink sorted. Watch the countdown 10... 9... 8...

...Button changes to play game. Click play.

Can’t use this content.
    It hasn’t reached its start date.

New 11 hour countdown kicks in.

Wankers.
  • Yeah, it's out tomorrow. Not sure why that countdown happened.

But reviews are happening now for anyone who's interested.
  • I think I can say now that's one of the best games I've played in recent years. 

Difficulty and repetition will be an issue for some, but it does so much so well and I found the challenge absolutely in tune with what it's trying to do. It'll be an easy 9 from me, probably just a whisker off a 10.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice.

Oh well it gave me time to take down Flamelurker so silver lining.
  • b0r1s jebaited, and JonB with a strong review.

Happy days.
    Can-of-sprite
  • JonB wrote:
    I think I can say now that's one of the best games I've played in recent years.  Difficulty and repetition will be an issue for some, but it does so much so well and I found the challenge absolutely in tune with what it's trying to do. It'll be an easy 9 from me, probably just a whisker off a 10.

FFS
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The EG review, though positive, fills me with a little dread. Be nice to see something new though.
  • Lots of big scores coming in...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    2021 players are easily pleased?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Looking forward to giving this a good go at some point but I don't fancy my chances of finishing it. It wouldn't surprise me to see a slightly easier mode added post launch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!