Returnal - on PC now
  • There is a shortcut, once you've got the bridge up/down it stays that way, but it’s still long. You still have to go up that tower, full of traps and some large cunts. That was the challenge for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Biome 3 is unreal. This game is astonishing. Got to
    Spoiler:
    and whittled him down to his second phase then the pressure got too much and I fell of the edge and died. Is there a shortcut back to the boss in biome 3? Because I felt like I was there for hours - the thought of doing that again is daunting but it probably won't be that bad. I had a level 15 shotgun and I was decimating folk with it. Those
    Spoiler:
    are terrifying.

QFPT
  • This has to be one of the best looking, most polished games I've ever seen. It runs beautifully too. Best PS5 game by far.
  • I almost agree - just the odd frame rate stutters that let it down in my eyes. Most people probably don't care but they take me out of the immersion. Other than that, I don't think I have anything to fault the gane for.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This has to be one of the best looking, most polished games I've ever seen. It runs beautifully too. Best PS5 game by far.

It's literally the only PS5 game I'm desperate to play, and praying it comes to PC.
  • I'm sure it'll come. You're gonna fucking love it mate. The only thing missing will be the haptics, which are brilliant in this. Unless you can get them on PC now?
  • This game doesn't seem to be getting any easier for me yet - in fact, I'm making less progress now than I have for a while. Even the first biome occasionally hands me my arse lol. In my eagerness to get to the derelict citadel I'm starting to rush and it's getting me killed.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think the ps5 pad can do haptics on PC these days? Can't quite remember tho. Agree they work great on this.
  • I'm gonna have to give this game a rest. I've had a number of brutally unfair deaths and it's just put me off it. I do think the game is a little too miserly with weapons in the early game and a little too unfair in places. I spend much of my time struggling through with sub par stuff only to just fizzle out and die with very little I can do about it.

In the second and third biomes the sub bosses hit so fucking hard they can just end your run there and then. Having to slog through the forest in the hope of a semi decent weapon before you proceed back has really started to grate. Absolutely stonking game but far too stressful to persevere with. I've got a sore neck from clenching so much.
  • So after 53mins my hot take is that this is a good 'hit the ground running' game, in that it feels great to literally hit the ground running (and zip around shooting things). As I suspected really, given the devs, but it's good to be able to agree with how good it feels to control.
  • Got to the first boss. Died on the third phase, even with a resurrection item. Tough. Wish I hadn't switched weapons just beforehand.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What did you take in?
  • Not sure the exact names but a level 2 sidearm/handgun I think. The shotgunnish weapon is my preference so far, or the carbine.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I preferred the carbine on first boss but (I think) it helps to aim which you may have given up on ;-)
  • I grip the pad too hard when it all kicks off to be delicate with L2.
  • Got to Phike again. Went in a bit overconfident with a level 4 carbine, an astronaut and a health consumable but only narrowly beat him. Area two was fun, didn't last long.

What was the replicator thing all about? I used one after beating Phike, which cost me six ether, just died and woke up outside the ship. I thought I'd read it was a one-shot resurrection point of sorts, it didn't seem to do anything.
  • Also, is there any point skipping straight to area two now that it appears I can (when I find the correct room) or does that just leave me massively underpowered?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Depends on if you think you need the health or currency to. It stuff. The better you get the more you can skip.
  • I really really want to love this but the amount of time you need to devote to a single sitting is easily the biggest spanner in the works. I just spent around an hour combing every inch of the first area, then got a bit further than last time in area two (defeated an armoured beetle thing), then died. So maybe 90 mins for one scrubman run.

It's an outstanding game - perhaps the best feeling sp 3D shooter after the DOOM reboots - but the individual runs are too long for a roguelike imo. I'll stick with it but I've pretty much never played a game that requires you to devote a film length session even time you play it (I know there's a suspend mode but nah).

4hrs 29 on the clock. I'm trying.
  • Roughly 20hrs to complete. That’s ok, isn’t it? You’ll fly through levels on a run where the weapons and pickups all come together.
  • I can handle that for an overall playtime, I must've completed well over a dozen 20+hr games over the years. Plus I knew that was the case before I started. It's the required session length that's doing me in at the moment, never played a rogue quite like it.
  • You don't really need to spend all that time going through everything in the first area. I'd rather just get to area 2 as soon as possible and get on with it, learn some new stuff, die and go again.
  • Won't my weapon proficiency levels be low though? (enemy drops would be level 0 or 1?)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Won't my weapon proficiency levels be low though? (enemy drops would be level 0 or 1?)

Not as low as you fear.
    Spoiler:
    The main thing you miss out on is additional perks that you might have bought en route, and additional health if you managed to build it up.

Lots of people took the "skip to the next level and get the feel of it a few times before then doing a long run to perfect it" route.  Others - like me - rinsed each level every time, but that's because (a) I'm not as good and really needed that health and (b) I still genuinely enjoyed traipsing through that hell hole every time.  My total playtime to completion was significantly more than most though.

As Elf says, you will have runs where everything goes perfectly and you can waltz through vast swathes at a time.  And others where, well, it doesn't...
  • I noticed that pick up.
    Spoiler:

I've enjoyed traipsing too, just worried the eventual 'okay this is it now I'm really going to do it' run (in 20hrs or so) might take three hours of cautious play, and falling at a latter hurdle could be soul destroying...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I noticed that pick up.
    Spoiler:
    I've enjoyed traipsing too, just worried the eventual 'okay this is it now I'm really going to do it' run (in 20hrs or so) might take three hours of cautious play, and falling at a latter hurdle could be soul destroying...

There will be biomes you won't feel the need to linger in when you're on the final run, I guarantee it.
  • I won't lie.  When I played it, it was one of the most stressful and anxiety-ridden experiences I had with a game but also one of the most adrenaline-pumping and exhilarating.  Kinda like... the recent From Software games (Soulsbornkiroring)?
  • Yeah I'm getting that (not played a From game since Otogi 2, I mean the stressful/thrilling thing).

With DOOM (which I'm going to keep comparing it to, desite the obvious differences) I could just chip away at it in smaller chunks.

More tomorrow though.
  • I wish I could experience this game again for the first time. Moot is so lucky.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's never as bad as that. You won't be putting anything like that into a single run.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!