Yep.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s potentially something about what algorithms push here too. If you make a slightly controversial YouTube video, it is likely to get more engagement and be pushed more into people’s feeds and end up being a bigger hit than your more mainstream positions. This can quickly lead to falling down a rabbit hole of looking for more controversial opinions as you financially benefit from them and ending up believing them because you spend so much time immersed in them. I’m not sure that Brand was always batshit, I just think that he was rewarded for becoming more batshit over time.
  • I didn't realise how far off into the bullshit zone he'd gone. Very deliberate mind. The videos on his YouTube seem very specifically designed to feed a certain type of alt-right twat the exact content they want.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or to drive engagement, and by extension, revenues.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    He's not even batshit. Alt-right is literally the easiest route to $$$ right now if you've any form of celebrity and if you don't give a shit about what you say, dive in.

As I said he's just a narcissist. Attention is the be all. Money helps too.
  • Trump, Tucker Carlson, Biden, LIES, SPAM CONTENT, UPLOAD, CONSPIRACY, LIES, SEND MONEY, check out our sponsor, OBAMA!!!???!1!11!
  • And definitely target the US because that’s the biggest market for it. (And having a British accent makes Americans assume you’re smarter than they are.)
  • A fair amount of alt-left interest as well. Your Piers Corbyn types. The old horse shoe effect.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He's not even batshit. Alt-right is literally the easiest route to $$$ right now if you've any form of celebrity and if you don't give a shit about what you say, dive in.

As I said he's just a narcissist. Attention is the be all. Money helps too.

Not sure that we a million miles apart here, it’s just a question of what the motivating factors are. I’m not sure that he ever made a conscious decision to play for the alt-right, I think that he decided to follow the attention/money (the two are indistinguishable in this instance, attention means money for a YouTuber) and he’s reached a point where he’s too immersed in that world to see where the things he’s saying because they’ll bring him attention end and where his actual opinions begin.

Not that we can ever know the thought process behind this, of course.
  • Once a bellend, always a bellend. If it turns out he’s a rapey bellend as well, I won’t be hugely surprised.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    A fair amount of alt-left interest as well. Your Piers Corbyn types. The old horse shoe effect.

Oh, dickheads.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Once a bellend, always a bellend. If it turns out he’s a rapey bellend as well, I won’t be hugely surprised.

Nor will I.
  • A friend of my brother fucked up his life with heroin. This guy approached Brand after seeing one of his shows, and asked if he had any advice for breaking addiction. They chatted, kept in touch, and when my bro's friend relapsed, Brand paid for his rehab at some mad expensive private clinic. This was an ongoing thing for years. the bill must have run into hundred of thousands. He only asked in return that my bro's friend promise not to take the story to the papers. i liked him, if only for that. didn't realise he'd gone a bit mad
  • A friend of my brother fucked up his life with heroin. This guy approached Brand after seeing one of his shows, and asked if he had any advice for breaking addiction. They chatted, kept in touch, and when my bro's friend relapsed, Brand paid for his rehab at some mad expensive private clinic. This was an ongoing thing for years. the bill must have run into hundred of thousands. He only asked in return that my bro's friend promise not to take the story to the papers. i liked him, if only for that. didn't realise he'd gone a bit mad

Hard to square that with how he acts now but as I said earlier, he seemed so different 10 years ago. I think Yoss might be right - the lure of the youtube cash has blurred his opinion on things.
    SFV - reddave360
  • His work around addiction is definitely admirable, the documentary he did was good.
    Although he's a bit too much of an evangelist for the 12 step programme for me, a programme which has quite a poor success rate given its fame and popularity.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think there was like one (1) ad in that ad break.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Well he’s been well and truly rustled now. He’ll be branded for life.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Laid out like this, it does make you wonder how he was able to fail upwards and accumulate so much power over people. It’s not like he’s from an upper class or well-connected background, why didn’t the broadcasters just pull the plug on his career?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Daniel Sloss is on talking about stuff he’s heard within the circuit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Same way Saville did. Saville did a lot of good too. Its a good mask for another side. Get a bit of power, get a bit of dirt on someone, you're in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Laid out like this, it does make you wonder how he was able to fail upwards and accumulate so much power over people. It’s not like he’s from an upper class or well-connected background, why didn’t the broadcasters just pull the plug on his career?

He’s not had much, if anything, of a mainstream career for a while now. His career is mainly YouTuber these days.
  • At this point I'm weary of pitchforks + media + celeb but if there's truth to it then obviously fuck him and I hope the victims get justice. I never really minded him as a persona. He knew addiction and was decent in educating about it. His anti-establishment rage was half right, half wrong as far as I can tell but was never proper GOP crazy.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Same way Saville did. Saville did a lot of good too. Its a good mask for another side. Get a bit of power, get a bit of dirt on someone, you're in.

Looking at the Wiki entry on Saville, it does look exactly the same in that seemingly the misconduct was going on from the very start of his career. I do think there’s a big difference in that society was much less atomised at the time that Saville was famous, so his power is more understandable. With Brand, I just look at the time he was on E4 and think ‘Would it have mattered that much to Channel 4 if they’d just fired him?’ He was just some guy fronting a Big Brother spin-off on E4 and the show could have probably kept chugging along without him without too much of a hit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Don't really know much about him, but what's the E4 thing he could have been sacked for? I wasn't aware of examples where he'd risen higher than what you might expect, but shrug. Hopefully justice will out.
  • Not posting to defend Brand here but reading the article on the guardian website:
    [font=GuardianTextEgyptian, "Guardian Text Egyptian Web", Georgia, serif]The most serious accusations appear to date from a time after Brand claims to have beaten his addiction to drugs and following a period of treatment for sex addiction, according to the [/font][font=GuardianTextEgyptian, "Guardian Text Egyptian Web", Georgia, serif]Sunday Times[/font][font=GuardianTextEgyptian, "Guardian Text Egyptian Web", Georgia, serif]. Back in 2007 he wrote in his autobiography: “At one point, about five years ago, I had a harem of about 10 women, whom I would rotate in addition to one-night stands and random casual encounters. But shagging – incessant as it was – no longer seemed to have the required calming effect.”[/font]
    This does not feel like much to hang a hat out. I hope there is way much substance to this because otherwise this will just feed his support. So he was a promiscuous slag who used his looks and fame to sleep with loads of people. Shrug. Men and women do this all the time.

I'm hoping the guardian writer simply doesnt have the full details.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’m trying to avoid this - the toxicity of online discourse (!) covering famous men accused of serious assault undermines my mental state - but it’s everywhere. And it takes a grand total of two minutes scanning the most high level article to find specific and credible accusations, such as
    One woman alleges that Brand raped her against a wall in his Los Angeles home. She was treated at a rape crisis centre on the same day, according to medical records. Text messages show that in the hours after leaving his house, she told Brand that she had been scared by him and felt taken advantage of, adding: “When a girl say NO it means no.” Brand replied saying he was “very sorry”.

Or
    A second woman alleges that Brand assaulted her when he was 31 and she was 16 and still at school. She said he referred to her as “the child” during an emotionally abusive and controlling relationship that lasted for about three months, and that Brand once “forced his penis down her throat”, making her choke. She says she tried to push him off and said she had to punch him in the stomach to make him stop

There are more but it is all frankly repellant and totally in line with my admittedly limited experience with famous narcissists (borderline tautology there), who so often genuinely believe they can do anything and people love them so much that they will say thank you afterwards

Fuck brand, the grifting violent abuser
    If four have had the guts to come forward with specific accusations you’d have to be a wilful naïf to believe there aren’t dozens more staying silent and trying to get on with their lives
  • The reason so many people are willing to believe accusers is because of how difficult, treacherous, unrewarding and indeed dangerous it is to come forward and accuse someone relatively powerful.

Brand has access to the best lawyers, and libel laws in this country are very skewed in favour of people able to afford good lawyers and take advantage of the law.

You can guarantee that the Times’ and Channel4’s lawyers will have scoured the evidence and statements very very carefully indeed and would never have proceeded to publish / broadcast without being sure it could stand up in court. This will have taken months of hard work. For me, it’s always important to be sceptical (especially if it’s some social media post made by the wrong party, because that’s so much more like unsubstantiated he said / she said, despite on the whole believing that again coming forward at all takes bravery and is highly unrewarding), but a dual investigation by multiple respected journalists backed by legions of lawyers tends to help me favour the accusers
  • Not saying it to defend brand or any other sex abuser, more that like it or not we are in an age where even 100% accurate gets justified by certain supporters. Look at Trump and the Tates. Maybe I should have looked deeper but like yourself I don't necessarily want to read how bad Brand acted - but the wording in the article guardian that I was reading felt light.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Reading back through my post it (as is common in my expression) reads like I’m accusing you of not taking it seriously. That is not my view, I’m sorry. I was trying to address the idea that there isn’t much to the accusations, before going off on a related rant.

I get very moralistic and didactic (ranty) too often, I shouldn’t make gonz my role model

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!