Thread of the Cancellèd
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Reading back through my post it (as is common in my expression) reads like I’m accusing you of not taking it seriously. That is not my view, I’m sorry. I was trying to address the idea that there isn’t much to the accusations, before going off on a related rant. 9

I get very moralistic and didactic (ranty) too often, I shouldn’t make gonz my role model

I thought the response was fair. My ire is with the article and its assertion if what the most serious accusations. It almost encourages Brands fan base to dismiss imo.

What you showed was way more serious and should have been what the article brought up.

SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like your rants Funk. They're almost always well argued, interesting, and thought provoking. So if only for my sake don't stop.
  • I get the need for the exposure because the mainstream seem to suffer from A level guilt for ignoring Savile. I do wonder when unlike Savile who we know continued to abuse people until his death, this seems to be for a certain point in his life. I'm wondering why is it being released now? He doesn't need the MSM to survive financially. This seems it will only strengthen his fan base. I'm also sure he woke up this morning to a bigger pile of money due to extra support.
    His victims are unlikely to see him arrested or punished. He should be, and I personally find him a creepy self serving conspiracy nut with a messianic complex. So who is this for?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't understand your point
  • I'm not sure of the timing is all.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Presumably it's taken this long for the women to come forward, for the journalists to investigate, and the lawyers to rubber stamp?
  • Interesting to see Cleverly say the entertainment industry has questions to answer given the amount of sexual harassment in his own party.
  • Anything to push the focus away from his party.
  • Same goes for the rags who are of course morally outraged this morning.

Fuck Brand but fuck the rest of them too
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Rev wrote:
    So who is this for?

There are ongoing issues around sexual assault and abuse in the comedy industry and it helps drive the lack of women in the industry. An organisation was recently set up to try to act like a HR department for the industry in the face of endemic sexual harassment issues. I can definitely understand why people would want to get it out there to try to prevent a future re-occurrence of something like this, even if the behaviour is historic, has already stopped and the person gone from the industry.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Look, all I know is is that if the only people defending you are Andrew Tate and Lawrence Fox then yeah, you're fucked. You can query the timing all you want or wonder about certain details or the actual reporting but if this means there's one less creepy cunt to worry about then it's a net positive for me and all of that falls by the wayside. Given the stats around SA/rape reporting and convicting, and his money/stature, you can see why it's done this way rather than oh I dunno an open and shut robbery case or something, fuck me.
  • Look, all I know is is that if the only people defending you are Andrew Tate and Lawrence Fox then yeah, you're fucked. You can query the timing all you want or wonder about certain details or the actual reporting but if this means there's one less creepy cunt to worry about then it's a net positive for me and all of that falls by the wayside. Given the stats around SA/rape reporting and convicting, and his money/stature, you can see why it's done this way rather than oh I dunno an open and shut robbery case or something, fuck me.

This is right in maybers 95% of cases because as you and Funk point out, conviction rates for rape are appallingly low which makes it difficult and painful for women to come forward. This makes it probably pragmatic to throw all accused under the bus given the unfairness in the system and the likelihood that they did it, especially when there are multiple accusers. Maybe we should just shrug for the small percent that are innocent and accept that's way more fair than it's currently stacked.

Brand probably won't get to see any detriment being a Youtuber and if anything he'll get more invites to US talk shows to explain his side of the story. I bet his YT channel is getting record views right now. What's to be done then? How can he be punished?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just gone on Instagram and a young woman who I used to work with has posted a big rant defending Brand and that it’s all the establishment trying to bring down a man trying to tell the truth. One of her friends then piles in and says yeah look at what they have done to Tate, Hopkins and Robinson. Fucking hell they are out there aren’t they.
  • And now Brand's YT channel going to suck in the loons that'd never heard of him beforehand.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Interesting to see Cleverly say the entertainment industry has questions to answer given the amount of sexual harassment in his own party.

Culture wars distraction bollocks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Just gone on Instagram and a young woman who I used to work with has posted a big rant defending Brand and that it’s all the establishment trying to bring down a man trying to tell the truth. One of her friends then piles in and says yeah look at what they have done to Tate, Hopkins and Robinson. Fucking hell they are out there aren’t they.

Yep, it's terrifying if you think about it too much.
  • So it seems that some of the people coming out in support of Brand include Elon Musk, Tucker Carlson and Andrew Tate and his brother.

If those are among your supporters for anything, you're probably the bad guy
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    All people who probably have similar skeletons in their closets.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For Tate and Musk, they aren’t exactly in the closet.
  • Yossarian wrote:

What's happening with Tate anyway? Haven't seen him in the news lately.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Awaiting trial AFAIK.
  • Yossarian wrote:

What's happening with Tate anyway? Haven't seen him in the news lately.

He's unfortunately still breathing

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I did briefly think "oh hang on, is wishing harm on someone really something I want to do?"

Then I thought
    "Hang on, he's a rapist and sex trafficker. Yea, I kinda do wish harm. Big fucking harm"
  • Yeah, think you are OK with that guy.

Just shows how fucked up the world is though. One side of people have absolutely come out in defense of this. Not even a wait to see how this plays out.

SFV - reddave360
  • It’s confirmation bias at work for a lot of people. They like him, or his old TV show, or whatever. So they won’t believe he’s done something bad. Simple as that.
  • Life is hard and it's complicated and the establishments that are supposed to help more often make things worse.
    These people offer answers and followers fall into their trap. It's full cultist stuff

Naturally those people then defend them.
  • I like Russel Brand, I enjoy his podcasts and enjoyed his books. I like some of his ideas, not all but some of his ideas about how to rebuild our society into something that works for the people.
    But I can't support someone who has done the things he's allegedly done.
    I'm not going to stand in his corner and defend him, the evidence is against him and I support the women who have made these claims. To deny that this happened or to deny their voices is not something we can afford to do.

These are incredibly serious allegations and deserve to be treated very seriously

• Your right, I did.

In fairness to myself, I think the article is worded poorly. In fairness to the article, I simply read it wrong.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!