Thread of the Cancellèd
  • I’ve never recorded anything for Womans hour either so I’m fully behind this person I have never heard of. It’s an absolute shambles that Woman’s Hour won’t record anything with me.
  • Knight wrote:

Is her problem that because of her opinions on trans people she isn't getting booked on shows? That have absolutely no obligation to book her?

What's your view Knight, seeing as you posted it?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Some of these places are probably are keen to steer clear of controversial issues. And if you've expressed anti-trans opinions, you now become controversial. And they'll think it's not worth the risk.

But it's also very silly to claim you've been cancelled because Woman's Hour won't book you (despite many people on Twitter asking for it!!).

Any regular contributor to TV and radio interviews has got bumped and not really had a proper explanation why. I've seen loads of people whinge about it and claim it must be because their views are too dangerous, too explosive, the broadcasters are trying to close down the debate. They may just be really dull.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If the reason is they think she's controversial and not worth the risk then maybe it is a problem. You could say it's the same reason no media outlet seems to want to represent Palestinian views. Too controversial and not worth the risk. No medium is under any obligation to book anyone but hearing points of view you don't agree with is healthy and should be encouraged.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Maybe she's also not very interesting and won't necessarily attract an audience?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I dunno, never heard of her.
  • Kow wrote:
    If the reason is they think she's controversial and not worth the risk then maybe it is a problem. You could say it's the same reason no media outlet seems to want to represent Palestinian views. Too controversial and not worth the risk. No medium is under any obligation to book anyone but hearing points of view you don't agree with is healthy and should be encouraged.
    She seems like she's on the extreme end of the debate, only going from that article. E.g. breaking an agreement and misgendering people to their faces in interviews. Hardly surprising it didn't air and she hasn't been brought back in.

So maybe at that point you're getting away from healthy debate and more into winding people up and offending them.

• Not totally dismissive of it though. I blame Twitter for a lot of the toxicity of the debate, more than the broadcasters looking to avoid getting sucked into it.
  • Sounds to me like a classic case of fucking around, and finding out. Again, boo fucking hoo.
  • I have no idea who this woman is, but it appears she's a fucking idiot. That's probably why nobody is booking her.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I googled her and found out she's given an interview to GB News. So that's her blacklisted for life as far as I'm concerned. She better hope I'm never put in charge of one of the nation's major current affairs outlets.

In said interview, she made the claim that some of the support for trans rights comes from gay men that were closeted during the Section 28 debate and are trying to make up for it, and another branch of the support is from the portion of gay men that hate women.

It's not hard to see why some of the media think nah, you're alright thanks.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    She can fuck off to Truth social and that other place Brand has gone to.
  • You’re not part of a nuanced, empathetic and humanistic debate if your starting position is to deny what someone believes is their right to exist

This seems quite simple to me?

By all means hold that view, and find ways to persuade people. But outright stating it is hardly going to win hearts and minds. So it’s a boring “I’m right you’re wrong” winning the argument on question time / twitter style thing and that’s deeply unwatchable

I also think comparing this person’s ’inability to get a hearing’ (due to, as she puts it ‘expressing views outside the narrow channel of acceptability’) because of media cowardice, with the Palestinian viewpoint being stifled due to same cowardice, is not good: it remains very easy to find, in mainstream mass media, all sorts of viewpoints regarding transgender people from (what I believe to be) the grossly offensive to the completely accepting. Finding same on Palestine is harder
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Feel like it’s worth adding that while there is some scope for legitimate debate around trans people due to the Equality Act 2010 including exceptions on sport and same-sex services, outright denying the existence of trans people is discriminatory and is genuinely outside of the political mainstream - the government literally having passed legislation barring discrimination against trans people. It’s not ‘outside the narrow channel of acceptability’, it’s outside the extremely wide channel of non-discriminatory speech that includes everything but bigotry.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • In short: not a great person, it seems at least from this article, to exemplify the shutting down of legitimate concerns regarding the rights of transgender people by mainstream media. What are your thoughts Knight?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A thread about famous people who aren't dead but whose careers now are (or at least should be).
    Never heard of her.
    I’m fully behind this person I have never heard of.
    Kow wrote:
    I dunno, never heard of her.
    g.man wrote:
    I have no idea who this woman is, but it appears she's a fucking idiot.
  • Yeah I'm not going to stress about every cunt who thinks they should be on TV, radio or whatever but aren't. Fuck em and their opinions.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    What are your thoughts Knight?

+1
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    I won’t be contributing anymore to the thread so apologies in advance to anyone engaging with my post, but don’t feel like you need to.

Let's not forget this recent gem. Suspect he's dropped another awesome fact bomb that's too deep for us mortals to get our heads round, while he's gone back to getting more truths from objective sources
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Final Fantasy singer Susan Calloway has been cancelled for liking a variety of bigoted tweets (including, appropriately enough, transphobic ones). Been pulled from Final Fantasy convention KupoCon.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    In short: not a great person, it seems at least from this article, to exemplify the shutting down of legitimate concerns regarding the rights of transgender people by mainstream media. What are your thoughts Knight?

Sounds like a horrible person complaining about not being famous and here we are talking about her, including me. This is why I hate social media and when it bleeds into the forum.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • "Rape" was actually the Crue's initial band name. They just kept the outfits in the end.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Giant from Gladiators has been embroiled in scandal for endorsing steroids in an old YouTube video.
  • They're Gladiators. They should be trenned up to their fuckin eyeballs and on speed, like Shadow was. That dude was terrifying. I've seen the reboot and it has precisely zero edge.
  • Haha. Make a fair point. It’s what gladiators should be doing.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Giant from Gladiators has been embroiled in scandal for endorsing steroids in an old YouTube video.

Well yeah. Look at him.
  • It should take scores of men with pugil sticks to take down a single Gladiator.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It does seem like a bit of a storm in a teacup - he’s said he’s always been open about his steroid use so presumably the BBC knew about it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!