Steam Deck, a perfect companion to your Steam Ant
  • I don't really understand the market for playing mobile games. Threes, sure, but do people really want to play rdr2 on the bus?

I wouldn't want to play long AAA games on a handheld, but I'd be really interested in the middle ground. Would love to take some of my favourite indie game away on holiday with me.

Having said that, mobile gaming scratches that occasional itch enough for me not to bother shelling out.
  • Sure, I love Factorio, Rimworld, Cities Skylines etc, but none of those are very well suited to handheld either.

What does the perfect handheld game even look like? Presumably it's something that:

- Isn't big on spectacle, so no sprawling cinematic vistas etc
    - Isn't big on small details and micromanagement 
    - Doesn't benefit too much from playing with mouse/keyboard
    - competitive multiplayer isn't the main focus

What does that leave? Looking through my Steam library, maybe the Witness?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Steam Deck has trackpads and a gyroscope, so I wouldn’t rule out mouse controls.

But pretty much any pixel art indie game which uses a controller will be fine, which probably accounts for about a bajillion Steam games.
  • I don't really understand the market for playing mobile games. Threes, sure, but do people really want to play rdr2 on the bus?

I play my Switch 90% handheld.  I'm sure there's lots of people like me who would love to play on the Telly more, but simply don't have access to when three other people in the house are fighting for it too.

x
  • Yossarian wrote:
    AFAICT from the Switch, it seems to be less about playing when you’re out and about and more about being able to play at home without needing to take over the TV.

Oops, yeah, I said this.  After Yoss.
  • I really want one of these, despite knowing I wouldn't make the most of it. I just get real fomo over a bunch of games like Inscryption
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I got the little razer control pad for my phone and it has been the reason for going back to rdr2 (and I'm now really enjoying it, also thanks to the ssd speeding up loading). I feel mobile gaming with headphones on is a great way to experience more story based games. I find it very immersive. It's great when you are time short - I like to sit on the couch with my wife for a few hours in the evening so even if I'm not taken with the TV, I can flick on tablet or phone and game while still being with her and indulging in conversation.

I don't think it beats full screen gaming but that's not always an option. I've also noticed my daughter is near handheld exclusive on her switch and tablet. There are a few xbox games she likes but I think if she had them on switch she would stay handheld.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Check how many of your games are currently compatible with the Steam Deck.

https://checkmydeck.herokuapp.com/
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    81% of my library is unknown.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    88% of mine
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    71% but I don’t have that many games. Still miffed with P4G but assume it will all be good in the end.
  • Anyone checked Inscryption? Haven't bought it yet but had earmarked it as exactly the sort of game I would want to play on steam deck
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kow and Tempy had, I think.

EDIT: Think I misunderstood...
  • 60% for me
    Death Stranding, MGS5, dishonored, DS2 and Yakuza enter the dragon are the only verified games I have which aren't on the switch already  
    Wildermyth and Fiffa 22 are both unkown which I was keen to play on it

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lot of small text in Wildermyth will be tricky.

I play my Switch 90% handheld.  I'm sure there's lots of people like me who would love to play on the Telly more, but simply don't have access to when three other people in the house are fighting for it too.

x

I mostly play handheld too. Looong daily commutes make up a chunk of it as I'll often play something on the way to work, but I mostly play undocked at home too (unless it's a co-op game).

I've got a loft room with consoles set up (and a sound bar, and a nifty little foot stool) but I don't bother to use it all that much. I find that Telly gaming gets boring a lot quicker than handheld gaming for some unfathomable reason. Switch suits me - I don't watch most of the programmes my wife watches but I'm usually sitting on the same sofa.

Steam Deck definitely appeals to me but I've got all bases covered with other consoles for now.

Edit: I wouldn't play a AAA game on a handheld though, not that I play that many. BotW is probably the only exception, I probably did half of that undocked.
  • Steam Deck will be a giant step forward for pc gaming and Steam in general.
    If succesfull, it will finally unthether Steam from windows and MS.

It will also make pc gaming more affordable and mobile instead of the hi end endeavor it currently is. I also suspect younger gamers will actually use it as a study pc when docked at home with a monitor and m/k. When steam deck catches on it's only a matter of time before Android/w10 hw vendors will try to mimick it. Who knows, Steam OS might become a thing in the near future.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm definitely just gonna use it as a console. No installing Windows, no messing around with the core hardware. I'll add a memory card for all the indie games and that'll be the extent.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    No installing Windows, no messing around with the core hardware. I'll add a memory card for all the indie games and that'll be the extent.
    Yeah keep telling myself that but also know messing about with it breaking it / fixing it will all happen

• Did I imagine this or is there meant to be a docking station for tv play in the future?

• A steam dock for your steam deck (to go with your steam ant)?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah an official Steam Deck Dock is planned I think, but you can just use any old third party USB-C hub.
    The official dock props up your Steam Deck while connecting to external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. You can also use a powered USB-C hub, if you've got one lying around.

The official dock will be sold separately. More information coming soon.
    https://www.steamdeck.com/en/hardware
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I'm definitely just gonna use it as a console. No installing Windows, no messing around with the core hardware. I'll add a memory card for all the indie games and that'll be the extent.

Conversely, my boy thinks this a Switch deal thing but he's going to get schooled in the beauty of PC, maybe Linux and Bash too. Bless him.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I just got my pc streaming games to my Surface, and it works flawlessly. So now I'm wondering if there's any point in me getting a Steam Deck.
  • If you take your surface in the toilet then no.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Surface goes everywhere.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!