adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's interesting how hyped the portable emulator community is about this - seems like a lot of people will be dropping their Chinese emulator devices in favour of this.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • It's perfect for RetroArch.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Haven’t done it for years, but you used to be able to add non-steam games to your steam library. If that’s still the case, could you potentially access all you have without having to faff around with leaving the steamOS, having separate stores etc?
  • Or is basically just a shortcut, you don’t actually add in the game files?
  • Yeah still works but it would have to be Linux versions
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Ah well. That ain’t gonna happen then.
  • He does an impromptu test with Doom Eternal running on both Steam Deck and Aya Neo with an FPS counter, and the Deck was getting 58 FPS and the Neo was getting 37. So that's quite a bit faster then, most games will run pretty great on this thing with the appropriate quality settings.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep good video. He was a bit vague with his comments on the fan noise. Wish he’d bought a db meter as that is the only possibly gotcha for me. Hoping it’s no worse than the switch or PS5. Definitely don’t want gaming laptop noise levels.
  • Perceptual impression from a qualified individual is better than raw loudness numbers IMO, since how annoying a sound is is largely down to it's frequency profile. Linus is no sound engineer, but he does like his fancy headphones as I recall so I would wager his first opinion is reasonable. They were in a noisy room with other people bustling around so not an ideal place to compare.

At some point there's just a limit to how silent you can make something, the heat has to be dissipated and thin fans can only be so quiet. I think for anything not too taxing it will be very quiet, but if you're running something to the max of its capabilities to try and get the most shinies/frames then yeah it will probably sound similar to other similarly sized devices.
  • Looking forward to this more than I’ve looked forward to a gadget for a long time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's everyone's thinking on the three versions?

The cheapest one doesn't have enough space for games so that's a no. Middle version seems to have everything I need, any arguments for the pricey one?
  • The most expensive one also has fancy anti-glare etched glass in front of the screen, which might help with playing in sunlight. You can see the difference with the normal glass in that video above.

It does seems like we will be able to open up the machines and put in our own m.2 NVME storage, which could make the cheapest one a good option. It's unclear exactly how easy it is to do that, but I would wager it's just a case of removing some screws and gently prying the back of the case off which would expose the slot. And you would also need to install the OS onto that drive which might require doing it outside of the device on another computer first. I would have no fear at all of doing all that but I'm sure many people would rather not, there will be plenty of video tutorials on that shortly after release to make it easy if you're not used to that sort of thing though.

Also you can use microSD cards for all of them, and that method might be completely fine for more minimal games. But yeah having a proper full speed SSD in there would be advantageous.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've gone for the middle option. While the screen would have been nice I won't be playing it outside myself. Can't be arsed to mess with the internals, I want this to be more of a console experience.

As for the SD IGN said all the games in the OG video (Doom, Jedi Fallen Order etc.) ran off the SD card slot... bit of Valve flexing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm the same as you Boris, can't see myself playing it in the sun. I think 90% of my time with it would be spent docked.

Which drive would you be putting in it Gurt? I think for an extra £100 the hassle free 256 would do for an indie machine, not sure how much of a saving you can make on that?
  • I just going for the smallest and use a big SD card.
    I own a C64 so I'm used to long loading times.......
    You rang.....
  • If and when the Steam deck takes off, Linux will eventually become mainstream. It's inevitable....and very weird. Valve's gamble on steamos/steammachines finally paying off? At least they won't be in the awkward position of having their landlord (ms) for a main competitor.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Presumably the vast majority of buyers will just use it as a console. The fact that it happens to have an OS based on Linux will be about as meaningful to most people as the fact that the Xbox has an OS based on Windows.
  • True, very true.
    Still, the increased userbase will bring many more apps and support to the platform. Some of the users (students?) might even use the desktop to type out an assignment or two?

That current 0.5-1.0% userbase might grow to 5.0%. If valve plays their cards correctly it might grow even more. Which is unheard of for desktop Linux lol.

• Remember how the Dreamcast had a Windows logo on its casing? Nobody cared.
  • The Dreamcast never had a Windows desktop tho.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    More vids than Linus also released around the same time, with perhaps a bit more reserved approach. Witcher III comparison on the Verge video looks good.

• poprock wrote:
    Remember how the Dreamcast had a Windows logo on its casing? Nobody cared.
    I thought it was cool that it had that
  • When this was first announced I was interested but cautious. Now all these vids are coming out its sounding very impressive and increasingly likely I'll pick one up.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    My puny female hands already loath the size and heft of the Switch (Vita was perfect, in that regard), I will never be able to play on this.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • That guy Linus has particularly small hands I believe, so it may be fine for your hands. I think the big difference is that the Deck has actual grips too, and people seem to think it feels very comfortable compared to the switch despite the extra weight, it's probably a lot to do with balance and pressure across your fingers.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I am looking forward to try it, but I would never gamble on a preorder. I can barely use the PS5's Dual Sense either; it's uncomfortable after half an hour or so. On the other hand (haha), I don't need to bother thinking about getting a PS5 of my own.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • The cost is obviously the main factor but yes, the heft puts me off too.  As it is already I much prefer the Switch Lite over the Phat version for the same reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!