Steam Deck, a perfect companion to your Steam Ant
  • I've had a look at what SSDs this thing should support, it's the uncommon 2230 variant that looks like this -

weGxPXB.png

That one is 128GB and costs 20 quid, there's some 256GB SSDs on Ebay for a little more. I would be wary of sketchy looking listings from China, I wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be a bunch of scam listings in the run up to Deck launch. I haven't been checking but I also wouldn't be surprised if people start buying up the stock of the previously unpopular form factor, so prices might go up and availability go down.
  • There's at least one 'Steam Deck compatible' listing already on Ebay, seems overpriced for 256GB..
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    There's at least one 'Steam Deck compatible' listing already on Ebay, seems overpriced for 256GB..

Taking their chances, innit. Hooray for capitalism.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Which just means that you need to open up the shell with a screwdriver and maybe a plastic pry tool or old credit card, then there should be a slot right there that you can swap a new drive into.

Gabe has apparently confirmed that you can replace the SSD, but obviously they would prefer you spend mad bucks on the more expensive versions, and there's not an easy access hatch to expose the slot so that's why they've said it's 'not intended'. If you've ever opened a laptop it should be a doddle.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Interesting points DF make around installing windows. People are assuming there will be drivers for the hardware that Valve will allow to be used to windows. Also will the specific features such as the sleep/resume work on any OS apart from Steam? Things to consider maybe?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We know from the Epic court case that Spencer and Newell were having a number of meetings recently. I suspect that there’ll be Microsoft support for this in one way or another.
  • Seeing as you can get windows to run out it, is it beyond the thoughts that a very stripped back windows gamepass app could be on this? My steam library and gamepass on this system is quite appealing
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I bet there’ll be a native streaming app, beyond that yeah, as long as you can put Windows on then you can have the full Game Pass experience on it.
  • The question is, if Steam Deck becomes a success will ms support it with native Linux apps? I'm guessing the sleep/resume and dock functionality will be strictly Linux?

Same goes for the other stores, Epic, gog, origin, uplay, battle.net.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's entirely possible that we'll see stores from other vendors getting some Linux love, I guess it depends on how successful they think the Deck will be.

As long as there's basic drivers available for Windows for the Deck, stuff like docking should work as expected. If Valve doesn't supply the appropriate drivers then I'm sure some enterprising individuals will extract them from Steam OS.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The DF video talked about the GamePass app being quite disk hungry. Never noticed it personally on my laptop but I had 1.5tb so not an issue but it is some buggy shite that I won’t be installing on the Steam Deck.

Gonna stick to vanilla Steam OS.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is that the GP app too?
  • I'll believe it when I see it. I assume they'll still be doing the same stupid encrypted/hidden game directory bullshit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m not bothered. Gonna just leave GP on the Xbox. Not like there’s a lot that’s just PC. This is gonna be a full on Steam PC for me.
  • Pre-orders on this thing are nuts.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Is that the GP app too?

There’s an Xbox app, but that links into the store for downloading the actual games, I believe that’s where the issue lies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope. My issues were running games as well as buggy UI. Regularly lost the license key and it was random too. Had to run a shell command then reboot the PC to get it working. In the end, combined with the janky UI I gave up.

Edit - I’ve said it before but it’s embarrassing that MS make the OS and the GP software. They control it all but can’t make an app as good as third parties.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Losing licenses still sounds like a store issue to me?

I dunno, it should be out fairly soon and it’s a free upgrade. We’ll soon find out if it’s improved.
  • New vid up.

RE hardware quality, I bet this thing is going to feel solid. The build quality of the Index is second to none and Valve are finally competent at doing hardware. This thing will own.
  • Soo tempting... I can see myself replacing my aging laptop with this thing. And when travelling becomes feasible again, the Deck and a decent BT keyboard would be all I'd need to carry.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • I wonder if they've made an easy way to network link local Decks together? So you can play games together via LAN.
  • You mean like the Gameboy?
  • Yeah but wireless, like the DS had a local area connection thing for multiple machines as I recall. The Stardew Valley thumbnail above got me thinking about it.
  • 6 player local multiplayer GTA:LCS is the most fun I ever had on a handheld console
  • The Switch Pro works great with gyro controls in games like Splatoon so it should be good. I know a fair few people who are thinking of getting one of these as a route into PC gaming.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!