Alternatives to edge?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was a magazine that plotted a graph and calculated the gameplay value from it....

Was that Crash? Maybe EGM?

I really liked C&VG way back in the early 80s. There was that real pioneer feel. It had arcade game reviews - I remember reading about Defender,  and 2600/Coleco/Intellivision game reviews too. It also has type-in listings for various 8bits.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've never thrown away any game mags. Even after a family of rats moved into my loft and started shitting on the top layer. There was a point in the early/mid 90s where the monthly mags were almost as important to me as the games they covered.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Having a monstrous family move 3 times between the ages of 14-18 meant all of my stuff got rekt. Still heartbroken.
  • davyK wrote:
    There was a magazine that plotted a graph and calculated the gameplay value from it.... .

That was ACE. I used to subscribe. Well, I say ‘subscribe’, I had it on order from the village newsagent.

Acemagazine1.jpg

Reviews were scored out of 1,000 and they plotted the ‘predicted interest curve’ for each one.
  • Readers Wives.  Man, i loved the way there’d be photos of short haired ladies, leaning against their poorly finished garden fences, showing off their fannies whilst their kids attended the primary round the corner.  Great mag that.
  • Remembering stuff is fucking brilliant.  It was always better then.
  • I read Edge because I was a snob.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's it @poprock!!

The predicted interest curve.   Heh.

:)
  • Remembering stuff is fucking brilliant.  It was always better then.

I preferred your first post.
  • I don't remember it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not trying to give anyone their worst day at work here, but, a lot of this thread misses the fundamental point that the views of what games are from the 80s or whenever through super Play or whatever didn't seem to understand that the bigger picture here is that games are a business.

And that seems to be the fundamental shift between the nostalgic posts about what weird games from Japan might get reported about and something like Edge.

Games are a business. I'm currently reading Jason Schrier's Press Reset (thanks gav) and that's his overriding view, and what he's trying to get the layman to think about.

I guess the "games are fun lol" view is still one but Edge has not ascribed to, and that's fine if people don't want that. It is just that the viewpoint of the industry had now expanded to cover the business and the culture around it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Trying to get laymen to think about........

Yeah. That will work out well.

Magazines are an industry too. Something people want to read. Not a text book.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Trying to get laymen to think about........

Yeah. That will work out well.

Magazines are an industry too. Something people want to read. Not a text book.

Yep, and magazines have had to also pivot this viewpoint. There's a reason that there's no official Nintendo magazine around, for example. Just thar audience doesn't exist anymore.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And I guess the Onm Audience is catered to through something like a Nintendo Direct. It's a narrowing of views on every part.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Finding a niche is one of the few routes left for traditional publishing, with mainstream audiences it’s hard to compete for attention, let alone money. Focusing more on the industry side of things is a canny move by Edge.
  • Mean Machines was was favourite back in the 16Bit days.  Amstrad Action and another Amstrad one the name of which escapes me were my first though.  Somebody do the research so I don't have to.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Magazines need to move away from reviews and concentrate on editorial.

Of course some of that could be industry based....maybe insight to careers and skills needed etc. Or insights to the creation process perhaps. So i take the point @regmcfly makes earlier.

Needs to be deeper, more leisurely yet remain compelling and somehow exclusive to the print version.
  • Kow wrote:
    I think I have the complete run of Arcade somewhere. Think it only lasted about ten issues.

Yep, still got all mine too - was definitely an attempt at making a gaming magazine that was more 'lads lads lads'.

Missing issues 1, 3, 10, 11 and 12 of N64 Magazine somehow (can only assume I took 10-12 somewhere) and my Issue 6 of GB Action has a ripped cover which doesn't matter in the slightest but I'd replace if I found one to give me a nice set from it's start in 1992 through to Christmas 1994 when they started phoning it in and reproducing old content on terrible paper stock.

Used to spend hours reading and re-reading magazines...digital content just isn't the same, eh?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    There is something about plonking into a beanbag and thumbing pages
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Not heard it called that before but whatever keeps her happy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Haha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This is a great nostalgia thread, back in times when you asked "what if you could just walk up and talk to them?" about videogames instead of real life
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I'm still hoping for a conversational Doom game, influenced by The Divine Comedy.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Silke wrote:
    I'm still hoping for a conversational Doom game, influenced by The Divine Comedy.

Take the Martian Express
    When your life's in a mess
    It'll make you smile
    All demon life is here
    From the feeble Seeker
    To the Shotgun Guy
    From the Hell Razer who knows 
    That to have one of those
    Would be suicide
    To the Cacodemon
    Watching you try to run 
    With it's single eye
    And everybody sings, "Ba-ba-ba-da, Ba-ba-ba-da""
  • Dante, you’re amazing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes, yes he is

cracking work fella

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!