Death's Door (Xbox/PC)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I completed this last night, 100% clear. I absolutely understand some of the criticisms here, the combat certainly is pretty simplistic, I ended up using the dash heavy attack a lot as it was just a bit more satisfying to use than the standard swipes. Once you’re upgraded a bit, it will drop most enemies in one hit and pinging between grunts and dropping them with that did feel reasonably satisfying. The environments can also be a bit of a pain to navigate. I really felt like the game suffered from a lack of a map, particularly in the later stages, it felt like most of the post-game mop up to get the true ending involved walking around pretty much at random hoping to stumble across whatever you needed to complete the area. A map with some markers on it would have made all the difference, and would have helped with the earlier sections too. In spite of the above, I absolutely loved the game. It doesn’t do any one thing better than anything else, but everything it does do, it does incredibly well. It looks and sounds gorgeous, the writing was solid, the world drew me in and made me want to see more, the themes that ran through the game were handled brilliantly, the atmosphere, the tone, all of it was spot on which resulted in what felt like an incredibly polished and assured title which never outstayed its welcome. The final steps towards 100% completion include one particular additional boss fight which was possibly one of the best fights in the game mechanically, and which also packed an emotional wallop. So yes, loved it, easily an 8 or 9 for me despite its few flaws.

I really felt the lack of a map in the post-game as well. Which is a shame, because there are some really good magic upgrades locked behind some optional fights here and there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!