Blisters on my fingers - How to be less bad at guitaring
  • That's first rate, in my opinion. Singing is ace
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • That was a wonderfull listen thanks Nick, really enjoyed the playing and the singing sounded great too mate. More of this please.

• Think I'm gonna start learning little chunks of that song you played Nick. Never heard it before but I liked it so much I searched it on you tube and found Colton Wall so thanks. Another avenue I'd have never have gone down if not for this wonderful instrument.

Anyway enjoy abit of Yoni, I could listen to him for hours......

• Cupatay wrote:
    Think I'm gonna start learning little chunks of that song you played Nick. Never heard it before but I liked it so much I searched it on you tube and found Colton Wall so thanks. Another avenue I'd have never have gone down if not for this wonderful instrument.

Anyway enjoy abit of Yoni, I could listen to him for hours......

Awesome, glad I inspired! I have another Colter track in my pocket, I'll try to post a video over the weekend.

Love that Dire Straits vid, great track and played brilliantly. I really to practice at picking of barre chords and doing licks whilst playing, I get quickly out of my depth when I try to venture away from picking over first position chords (guessing that's what first position means - open chords around the first fret area).
  • Oh this is the main video I used to learn Devil Wears a Suit and Tie btw, he plays it really well imo, I took most of the bits from here albeit fudging and playing with one finger not several. Still, I like this guy, easy to follow:

• Oh yeah definitely inspired me and with something totally new to me. I was after a cool sounding picking song I could put some time into and realy push myself. Cheers for the tutorial video.
  • Lads, and ladies.

I have a shit guitar, and an even worse amp.

Any recommendations for a good practice amp?

Preferably available here: https://www.thomann.de/ie/index.html
  • Amp sim software for your 'puter. Grab a cheap'n'good audio interface from Focusrite, then run into a VSTi from Neural DSP, Line 6's Helix bundle, Positive Grid's Bias stuff, or even a pretty fucking decent freebie like Ignite's Emissary. Categorically best bang for buck if you don't want to get into tubes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you live with other humans in close proximity then you'll probably end up using headphones with an amp, which essentially means you are just getting emulation anyway. So you're as well off with a decent vst.
  • Neighbours are not an issue. Want a physical amp.
  • I use a Yamaha THR10.  Quite happy with it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I was thinking family more than neighbours, but fair enough. Marshall have a decent 10 Watt for less than a hundred quid. That Yamaha is also decent. I had a Yamaha Budokan years ago and it was a great little 10 watt.
  • Lads, and ladies. I have a shit guitar, and an even worse amp. Any recommendations for a good practice amp? Preferably available here: https://www.thomann.de/ie/index.html

Get a Yamaha THR10 Mk2 or a Boss Katana.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Go on then, bit of playing because it's a Friday night. Apologies in advance for the second video (and in general) because I'm not much of a singer but I am a trier.

Good stuff pal. Love your style.
  • After reading and watching a bunch of reviews, I went with the Orange Crush 12.
  • After reading and watching a bunch of reviews, I went with the Orange Crush 12.

I was also considering an Orange Micro Dark + cab for another room.

What I really want is the Meris Mercury 7 reverb pedal. That thing looks fucking incredible.

• nick_md wrote:
    Oh this is the main video I used to learn Devil Wears a Suit and Tie btw, he plays it really well imo, I took most of the bits from here albeit fudging and playing with one finger not several. Still, I like this guy, easy to follow:

Having my 1st little session on this. I've got the first bar down ha! Gonna be a fun one to learn even though it's abit advanced for me. Repetition will see me through though I'm sure.
  • You got this dude, once you get the first lick down it all fall into place, kinda.

(The first lick being the Em, which is very doable. I spent a year not doing the C chord properly and just doing a regular C chord with whatever picking I fancied. I think this, like all tunes I learn, I just learn a particular part, then fudge the rest, then slowly introduce other bits. I'll try to post an old vid of me playing this tomorrow where I just ignore most of the hard bits, if that helps. Learn it bit by bit, is my advice as a very hamfisted player).
  • Yeah I think thats how I generally approach trickier stuff. I think I've got the first 9 bars in my head now after an hour or two's practice so I'm gonna work on making that sound decent as the 9th bar ends the 1st bar starts so I can practice that on a loop. I'll switch between that and learning new bits.
  • Anyone got any suggestions for a looper pedal?
  • I have this but I've never used it as I'm not ready for it realy so I can't pass comment but here's a video of someone using it.

• Here's my progress after a couple of hours last night and another hour today. I think I should be able to learn the whole song in time. It's a lot of fun to play. Love the swingy country vibe you feel when your playing it. It's raw so don't expect much ha.

• Nice stuff! You've picked that up quicker than I did, I didn't even attempt the tricky C walking bits for ages. For the next bit you just need to walk that C down to an Am and that's the bulk of the song really. Well give or take :)
    Main thing I'd suggest (not that you asked!) is to mute the bass strings a bit with your palm so they don't ring out, more of a chug.

Keep the progress updates coming!
  • Ah ok yeah, always welcome a bit of guidance cheers.

Here's a rough bit of you've got a friend in me by Randy Newman. I learned this ages ago in my first year of playing believe it or not. I couldn't play any of the bar chords in the tutorial so I spent hours picking them apart so I had to put my fingers on the bare minimum of strings. It's probabley still my most complex song to play but I practiced so much you wouldn't believe. It just goes to show with repetition you can learn anything. I can play the whole song reasonably well now.

• Nice, instantly recognisable. I should get a few classics everyone knows under my belt, not that I ever play in front of anyone.

Just went to record myself but can't for the life of me get my guitar sounding right, anyone else ever have that problem? I tune it and tune it but then some string always sounds off. Frustrating. It's usually resolved itself when I pick it up later.
  • New strings can sometimes take a while to settle into tuning.

Electric or acoustic?
    Make and model?
    Any extra bits to take into consideration like locking tuners or a floyd rose trem?
  • Acoustic, no new strings, no extras. Fender acoustic.

It just happens to me sometimes, probably my ears or something. It'll be fine tomorrow. I get this with all my guitars. Maybe it's the ghost of Merle Travis fucking with me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!