The Big Omi-Christmas Thread 2021
  • For me magnolia is a Christmas film because I saw it in the week of Christmas tv where they just lump films on all the time. That and breakfast club.
  • Eyes Wide Shut is the best Christmas movie.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Eyes Wide Shut is the best Christmas movie.

This. Maybe not best but damn close.

also...

This is either a work of genius or a load of old shite. The former view is for me. My theory is it's Ian Dury on the right due to lack of general mobility. It's fucking hilariously bad. It's also top tier TOTP in its pomp.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • On Christmas songs, check out It's Christmas Time by Status Quo.

It's a wonderful slice of 70's/80 rockers Christmas music, that wasn't actually written until 2008 so most people have never heard of it.
  • I have failed Whamaggeddon already by intentionally jumping on the grenade and requesting it via Alexa.

So now I can enjoy Christmas music without fear
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah Griff, thats a lovely ad. I hadn't seen that

I'm still a bit of an unreconstructed old cunt. But it is a lovely ad.
  • I bloody love Christmas and can get behind the sentiment of this thread. It has the best meal of the year, I get at least two weeks off with my wife and kids. This thread is on the good list. Bravo.
  • This wil be my first Christmas with paid leave since 2013 so Im going to really lean into the whole switching off vibe.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    This wil be my first Christmas with paid leave since 2013 so Im going to really lean into the whole switching off vibe.
    Same. Since starting this job I'm able to actually enjoy Christmas!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’m using up all my leftover holiday time for an extended Christmas laziness bonanza, so I finish up for the season halfway through the 16th. That’s really pretty soon. HYPE TRAIN BOARDING.
  • Sadly the only day I've got off over Christmas other than the day itself is New Years Eve, because our department is now about 10 people.
  • I finish on 10th Dec and not back til 10th Jan, result.
  • I'm on call for various days through that tho so not all getting pissed throughout.
  • The Killers Christmas songs are a bit rubbish aren't they. No wonder I missed them doing this for an entire decade and change.
  • I’m looking forward to trying out the new Pistol Annies Christmas album. Deliberately ignored it on release to wait until it’s actually relevant …
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'm on call for various days through that tho so not all getting pissed throughout.

On call sucks, I also have to do 2 days out of the 11 we break up for.

Anyway Christmas is great, I love it. Get drunk midday, kids entertained, Mrs happy, spend time with my brother and other relatives. It's wonderfull. On the cards this year we have table top curling and table tennis, it's tradition my brother comes over and beats me at every thing but I don't care. It's great to have a drink with him and act like big kids back in the eighties.

• I'm loving hearing all of these Christmas plans.

Im off from the 22nd to the 4th Jan (although there's an annoying possibility I may have to take a trip to London for some oversight work on the 30th, hoping to justify doing it virtually)

I'm actually spending most of that time with my in laws (god send help or whisky) but this year won't be so bad. All the kids will be playing nicely (one hopes) and I'll be mostly drunk anyway. Biggest risk will be the inevitable argument over the table with my anti mask in laws (though thankfully not anti Vax!!).

Politics is always an interesting one and my wife frequently has to kick me under the table as she knows I will argue back.

Still, should be wonderful to see everyone again and just be able to switch off for a week!
  • Taking my daughter to see Dick Wittington at the theatre on next weekend. Her first really. Looking forwrd to it. 

Then it's her birthday on the 22nd and then Christmas, so lots of present hunting between now and then. Got click happy on amazon earlier. She's coming to mine as she does every christmas and my partner will be cooking turkey we've ordered from the local butcher. My sister and her family will come over as we're still adjusting to life without our parents. Creating new traditions. Will be so nice having two kids running around excited. 

Will be church, presents, lunch, xmas TV. 

Films - new grinch, die hard and home alone every time.

Carols - it came upon a midnight clear and once in royal davids city
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is an event movie in Div House so that will be watched for sure.
    A company called Department 56 do a great line of Griswolds decorations that I will maybe look into next year once settled. They do other movies as well I think.

51Dg35aOMoL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Would love the Home Alone Lego set as well.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is an event movie in Div House so that will be watched for sure.
    A company called Department 56 do a great line of Griswolds decorations that I will maybe look into next year once settled. They do other movies as well I think.

51Dg35aOMoL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Would love the Home Alone Lego set as well.

Holy crap that's amazing!!! WANT
  • I'm probably going to be Vetoed again by my wife but I want to send out cards with Cousin Eddie on the front and "Merry Christmas, Shitter was full!"
  • Haha. Do it anyway.
  • "honey, I had a productive day, I've sent ALL of the Christmas cards this year so you don't have to lift a finger! More chocolate? "
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll be working Christmas Eve and one day 'tween Christmas Day and NYE.

Working from home that is. The peeps we have in the office will be at home on a rota taking turns at providing cover from home which will involve having to go in in the extremely unlikely event that will be needed. Will be only requiring one person to be in that position each day. Our place is very quiet over that period.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re Christmas films.

There are some that are set at Christmas that I enjoy watching at Christmas but I don't consider as a Christmas film. Fanny & Alexander , Gremlins and Eyes Wide Shut fit that bill.

There's proper Christmas films then. Elf and Scrooge '51. (Most other Scrooge films I enjoy too - The George C Scott one is rather good).

Then there's Love and Death - a Woody Allen film. First time I saw it was during a BBC Allen season that was shown over the Christmas break. It saw it late at night with my Old Dad and so I like to recreate the feeling I had. It's a transitional film for Allen - moving away from the slapstick to more thoughtful films. It shows the influence people like Fellini and Bergmann have on him too. The soundtrack includes Povokief's Troika from the Lieutenant Kije suite which conveys the feeling of a sleigh ride.

• I’m building the Lego home alone house at the moment and it’s a pretty joyous build. Getting right in the mood.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was going to put the outside lights up tonight but I can't be arsed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!