52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • 16. Stilstand - Switch (45mins)

Quirky interactive graphic novel that plays like Florence on a downer.  I enjoy experimenting with visual page turners like this if the price is right (it's 89p at the mo), but the format has yet to wow me.  If you're going to take a punt on something similar Florence might be a better starting point, or Lydia perhaps (which is more of a point & click, but an experience that made more of a lasting impression than this will).  Not bad, but you'd have to be in the mood.

stilstand_gif.gif?t=1636468961
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like a Radiohead video.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    3hrs, wow, must be a short and easy game.

5hrs first time according to the save file (2200 deaths), 3hrs this week (1400 deaths).  I knew what I was doing second time.  100% completion would take far longer, I reached the soft ending on 34%. It's an easier game to push through than Meat Boy but probably trickier once it doubles down on the evil.

Edit: For comparison, the light worlds of Meat Boy took me 2hrs to play through in 2020, but I've spent a lot more time with that overall.
  • Oh wow didn’t realise it was that ‘short’. I mean, Celeste was much longer, wasn’t it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I can't remember off-hand. Felt like maybe 4-5hrs? It didn't take me long to stop chasing strawberries though (or B sides), so that's another one that's as long as a piece of string.
  • 8hrs according to HLTB, I'm probably misremembering.
  • I usually take longer as I’m rubbish and also go for collectibles so probably took me ages! Celeste was amazing, though. I’ll be sure to give TEiN a whack.
  • 5:28 according to my save, with a paltry 26 strawbs.

And now I'm gonna play Celeste again :)
  • 4: Rise: Race to the Future (Switch) 4/10

RE the graphics I agree with Moot's review, this is really impressive looking game given it's by a small team working on the Switch.  You won't mistake it for a PS5 game of course but it's pretty easy on the eye and runs smoothly.  It looks great in handheld.  The Good Graphics Mode was a bit off though - it has this motion blurring thing I guess to cushion the low frame rate, but the way the car vibrates makes it go all fuzzy like it's trying to jump between dimensions or something. 

I feel like a douchebag insulting some small indy team's game especially when they apparently have worked long and hard even after release to polish it up.  Let's just say I really did not enjoy the slippery handling.  I do not think it is a good sign of an arcade racer when errors so regularly have your car grinding to a complete stop.  Also like moot I found the water racing bits confusing on where to go next.  This game made me swear a lot.

Rise: Race to the Future is no Cruisin' Blast.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Heh, sorry. My taste in racers is a bit random, I've only ever been properly into a handful over the years (not counting karts & top down stuff) and I've never been the go-to guy when it comes to wheels. I'm taking this as cold revengeance for my Cruisin' bruising though.

Tilly hated the handling too, and requested "Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-zing" twice when I got her to try out the split screen mode. She changed her tune when we started playing tag though.
  • No worries!  They can't all be classics.  Will give multiplayer a try next time someone's over.  Maybe something will click.

Circuit Superstars is now out on Playstation I see, Switch can't be far off...
  • 5: Nobody Saves The World (PC) 10/10

Some good shit here for free(ish) on Gamepass.  Nobody is an action RPG with a Monster Boy style form changing gimmick.  Most of the forms are fun and different enough, but as you level up you get to mix n match abilities from different forms with one another.  I enjoyed when you're struggling with a tough dungeon so you have a look through your abilities and see what you can swap in.  You almost always have a eureka moment where you figure out how to make your character a 1 man killing machine, for that dungeon at least.

It can sometimes feel like you're cheating the system, but it never lasts for long before you'll need to change your tactics and setup again.  I think it strikes a good balance between giving you a good challenge and then letting you kick ass for a little while.

I really like how you level up - you (mostly) don't get EXP but just killing a heap of baddies, but rather from using particular abilities and attacks, and later mixing in new abilities from other forms.  Not only does it keep the game fresh since you're not just relying on a couple of go-to abilities, but it teaches you how to get the best out of your forms.

Really appealing cartoon graphics too!  Bright and colourful with some ugly looking enemies.  The text is mostly light and humorous; to be honest I didn't pay it a great deal of attention but it seemed fine.

Is there much wrong with it?  Mostly just your indie problems with some of the menu stuff being a bit too convoluted.  I do think they could have consolidated a few of the forms and abilities.  Like you hold RB to bring up your radial menu of your different forms, but there are so bloody many forms that they don't all fit on there!  I didn't really use a bunch of them towards the end.

Mostly had a great time though!  Will probably pay for a cheap Switch physical.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Still waiting to clear something...
  • Stop playing such long-arse games and join the bitesize brigade.
  • I’ll do proper write ups but so I don’t forget I’ve done:

2. Just Beats and Shapes on the Switch. 7/10 would be higher if I had the reflexes.

3. Road 96. Switch. 9/10. Despite the occasional jank it’s a properly cared for game.

4. The Gunk. SX. 6/10. Not what I hoped for and how can hoovering be made boring? It’s even pretty good fun irl so they’ve screwed something up.

5. Halo Infinite campaign. 7/10. Great and embarrassing within the same 5 minutes of gameplay. Just a contemporary example of what games were like 10 years ago.
  • 35% off Road 96 is coming, I can feel it in my weird saleswatch bones.
  • I'm going to be lazy with writing these this year, at least when I've already written about them. 

1. Nobody Saves the World [8]
    I like Drinkbox games. This another good one.

2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy [7]
    I hadn't played this one before. I preferred it to 4 a bit, mainly because it was shorter.
  • 17. Sonic Generations - Xbox 360/Series S (4hrs)

I'd heard this was quite good but never got round to playing it.  It's fair to say I liked Sonic Adventure more than most (at the very least I remember if more fondly than rewritten history remembers it).  It was slightly muddled and never a truly great game, but at its core I thought it made a fine stab at transposing the Sonic experience to three dimensions.  Plus it was especially impressive when I first got to play through it in early 1999 - my sister's bf had an import Dreamcast and the visuals packed quite a punch.  The Dreamcast leap tends to get forgotten at times but SA was originally released pre-Crimbo '98, which means it's of a comparable age to something like Spyro the Dragon on PS1.  It was no Mario 64 if you scrutinised the gameplay, but it never attempted to be - much like the 16-bit Sonics it had an entirely different set of charms to its closest Nintendo neighbour.  The controllable rollercoaster style isn't a bad approximation of what OG Sonic often was at times.  Was an Edge [8] iirc, and I make them right.  Adventure 2 got even muddier with some disastrous gameplay additions, but there's a valid case for the Sonic (and Shadow) stages trumping the main stages in its predecessor.  I drifted away from the 3D adventures at that point as they seemed to be iterating on a format that could do with an overhaul, but it was far from a bad start, ignore the naysayers.  I did play Sonic Colours on Wii, which was a'ight, but haven't played Heroes/Forces and the rest.  

Generations is a mix of classic side on Sonic (albeit with the 3D graphics engine) and into the screen Adventure style bumper filled runways.  The era swapping conceit is good, and the generational swapsie is only a button press away in the hub area.  The 60fps BC boost is super smooth and on the whole it looks really nice for such an old game; it makes a strong first impression for sure.  Unfortunately the further I got the more the overall wonkiness snapped into focus.  This is still Good Sonic, but there's a scattershot quality to whole thing that makes it feel more disappointing than it should.  The opening salvo of remade early 90s stages (Green Hill Zone ofc, Chemical Plant Zone, Sky Sanctuary) soon make way for middle era environments and by the end I was running around entirely unrecognisable zones. I get it, that's what the brief was for this game, and Sonic still sells afaik so perhaps this was a great decision by Sega...it's just a bit of a shame for the oldies.  We're well catered for in Sonic Mania so maybe I shouldn't complain, the final two levels in this were actually quite good, but I still wanted to shout 'play the hits!". After compelting the two types of stage for three sets of zones (there are nine in total) a set of challenge stages will open up.  You only need to beat one of these to pick up a key for the boss gate, but they're a real mixed bag.  Absolute randomness in terms of quality.  Some are surprisingly good and offer a welcome change to the standard platforming, some are genuinely atrocious.  Good luck to the hundo hunters here, I wouldn't have the patience and there'd be no satisfaction if I did.

Bosses are quite good on the whole.  Sonic games didn't do too badly in this respect on the quiet, the later MD efforts in particular had some decent face-offs.  The last boss is a joke though, hideous stuff.  

Overall I'm glad I picked it up for what, £3?  Can't remember now, it was days ago.  [7] as a spruced up retro run from two gens back, would drop to a [6] as a new release though.

original.gif
  • Never actually did generations, I have a PC disc so may play.

Lightworks did not like the video I had, so late video but hey, it's a completed game thanks to Moot.

• @Moot_Geeza how does Generations compare to Colours that we played on the Wii years back?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I nearly bought Stuntman Ignition in the Xbox BC sale recently but had no idea if it was a good one. A bit gutted now, it was £2 I think.

@retro ahead of Colours I'd say.

3D Sonic order:

Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Generations
    Sonic Colours
    Sonic Adventure 2

After that your guess is as good as mine.

Best bits in SA2 are among the best in the series post-3D switch but there's an awful lot of shite to sit through when you're forced to change characters. Although I can't remember if you have to change characters now, haven't played it since launch - it may be possible to just play as Sonic/Shadow and ignore the other bits.

• Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Generations is miles better than Colours, and they are both better than Lost World or Sonic 06
  • 3. Please, Touch the Artwork [8]
    Indie curio in which the abstract paintings of modern artist Piet Mondrian are turned into puzzles. There are three exhibitions, each based on one of his styles, involving a different type of puzzle, a different accompanying narrative that links the paintings together, and a mellow jazz soundtrack. Mostly, it's a chilled affair, although it does get a little tricky towards the end of the first two exhibitions. But it's more about the experience of exploring these paintings with a more hands-on approach, and, yeah, it's really quite fascinating. But is it art?

FwHWx2F.png
  • I have that now.  Will play it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is it like KAMI? It's on my wishlist now anyway...
  • 6. RE4- 12 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox Series X

Wow…still one of the best games ever but after playing the REmakes of 2 and 3 it’s such a long, bloated, boring mess. Obviously deep down I’m aware it’s one of the best games ever made but playing it now is simply not fun anymore…All time 10/10 but after those two and right now a 6 is being kind…
  • It’s being remade at the moment so you can re-grade come this time next year.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Re-remade?
  • 18. Demon's Tilt - Switch (20hrs)

A spiritual successor/homage to Devil's Crush/Dragon's Fury.  I was hyped for this pre-launch (the original trailer first appeared when I was balls deep in an epic Pinball Arcade head to head with the wife), but I couldn't quite click with the lightweight ball physics when it hit Game Pass.  Pinball Arcade aims for a 1:1 representation of proper pinball, whereas this is very much a 'videogame'.  I never deleted it, then it left the service, then I bought it half price on Switch and didn't really play it for another six months.  But when I finally did (earlier this year, isn't this exciting?), I was hooked.  I decided to set up a 'pinball corner' in the front room after a pub trip one afternoon, using an old TV as a tate display.  Mrs. Moot soon blocked off that particular avenue of pleasure, but it migrated to the main telly and 20+hrs of intense pass-the-pad battling later I managed to hit JonB's parameters for 'completion' yesterday (wizard mode/1 billion points).

There's only so much you can type about pinball games really, it's about as Marmite an interactive experience as you can get.  I used to despise it as I was never able to stomach the casual cuntishness of a bad luck ball drain.  Videogame pinball is a bit different from the real thing though.  They all seem to have a nudge move available (with a flick of the left stick here), which is a semi-reliable get out of jail card.  Sure, you can heft real pinball tables around a little before the tilt lock kicks in, but it's a lot easier with an analogue stick.  NB: Mrs. Moot refuses to use it as it goes against her weird pinball principles, but that's why her top score has less zeros than mine [BigHeadModeActivated].  I've tried pointing out that it's called Demon's Tilt, and that there's a sizeable portion of the screen devoted to how much leeway you've got before it locks the table, and that it's videogame pinball rather than pinball pinball, but she still nope.gifs me.  I nudge though.  Loads.  

The moment I broke the billion barrier was an SS tier gaming moment for me.  I've finally clawed one back.  Over the years she's beaten me at MS Pinball, Dragon's Fury (the Retro Pi once crashed on her when she was on course to demolish her own top score, which I pretend not to remember) and the true GOATS: Addams Family and Twilight Zone on Pinball Arcade (PS4).  The latter two she hammered on a six week holiday while I was at work, so there's a disagreement over whether they count.  Even if I admit it's 4-1 over the course of 20+ years the momentum is currently with me.

[9], loved it and it's near enough perfect in terms of what it set out to be vs what it is.  Easily the best (videogame) pinball experience of all time.  It takes a long time to learn, but it's extremely rewarding once you're familiar with the table.  

EverlastingVillainousIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Re-remade?
    Badoom-tish.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!