Reading Record 2022 - Uniquely Portable Magic
  • I read The Jaunt recently too, because Patton Oswald was on the Kingscast to talk about it. Really great short story, lots of little details that flesh out the world without overdoing it. And the ending... Jeez.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I sought The Jaunt out because it just keeps coming up again and again as one of his best and most terrifying stories. I still consider myself pretty green on King. I’ve read It, which blew my fucking mind as a teenager, and then The Dark Half (I was meh on this one), and the entire Dark Tower series. I have at least Pet Semetary (and maybe even Salem’s Lot) pencilled in for this October. I also like the sound of Revival.

Pet Semetary, Salem's Lot and Revival are all up there with the best of King. Salem's Lot is my fave.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • (shameless self promotion here! avert your eyes!)

My signed authors copy of Martial Arts And Your Life arrived today.

Big thanks to Lawrence A Kane and Kris Wilder for the honour of including me and allowing me to be part of such an awesome book. It's such a brilliant and comprehensive study into why we do the things we do.

So proud to have been a part of it and it shall live on my coffee table for all guests to see!

IMG-20220408-193303.jpg
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I would definitely have you in a fight
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (book looks cool though :p - great stuff! I need to be more famous.)
  • Ooh, that looks like a cosy sweater.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Ooh, that looks like a cosy sweater.

It really is. I love cosy :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

You might for all I know :)
  • No. He really won’t.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Congrats Wookie.
    Quite the time you are having at the moment, couldn't be happening to a nicer bloke.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

You'd be beat up by a jolly guy in a cosy jumper.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Congrats Wookie.
    Quite the time you are having at the moment, couldn't be happening to a nicer bloke.

Aw thanks mate. Yea things are looking up at the moment. It's very odd, I'm not used to good things happening one after the other.
    Something will go wrong soon though
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, nice one Wookie!
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    27. The Fall of Gondolin by J. R. R. Tolkien, edited by Christopher Tolkien

The third and final of Tolkien’s Great Tales of the Third Age. In this one the man Tuor is chosen by the sea god Ulmo to find the secret and last great stronghold of the elves, the city of Gondolin, and convince its people to depart for the sea before Melkor, chief villain of the First Age, finds it and destroys it utterly.

Tolkien wrote and completed a version of this story in 1916 that, while not exactly brief, was quite archaic in style and lacking in detail. I still really enjoyed it, but it feels like something of a sampler that only hints at the true epic. He went back to it over the years, creating even shorter versions while evolving elements of the story. But it wasn’t until 35 years later that he started telling the story as it deserved to be told. But he never finished it, and it’s a damn shame because what is there in this final version is amazing and choc-a-bloc with beautiful prose. Christopher Tolkien surmises, based on his letters to his publisher Stanley Unwin, that he lost heart in it because the publisher was disinterested in publishing The Silmarillion, of which this would have formed a part, and was only interested in a sequel to The Hobbit. The completed The Lord of the Rings was already sitting on Tolkien’s shelf by then, but he was desperate to publish it together with The Silmarillion. What a shame he never got to see it happen in his lifetime. Anyway, all the versions of the story are here included along with some very interesting commentary by his son, and I enjoyed it all immensely. Here’s a snippet:
    But Ulmo bore her up and gave unto her the likeness of a great white bird, and upon her breast there shone as a star the shining Silmaril, as she flew over the water to seek Eärendel her beloved. And on a time of night Eärendel at the helm saw her come towards him, as a white cloud under a moon exceeding swift, as a star over the sea moving in strange course, a pale flame on wings of storm. And it is sung that she fell from the air upon the timbers of Wingelot, in a swoon, nigh unto death for the urgency of her speed, and Eärendel took her unto his bosom. And in the morn with marvelling eyes he beheld his wife in her own form beside him with her hair upon his face; and she slept.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Suez : Britain's End of Empire in the Middle East by Keith Kyle.

Wow - what a piece of work this is. Dense, complex, detailed but readable. This covers the build up , event and aftermath of an insane misadventure by France, GB and Israel in the mid-50s when Egypt claimed the Suez canal for its own several years before its return was scheduled.

This event caused the creation of the UN Peace Keeping force, almost escalated to a 3rd World War over a period of 48hrs (Egypt was backed by Russian arms), caused a brief rift between UK and US, and almost prompted the UK to leave the UN and maybe even occupy Kuwait to maintain its oil supply. The world could have been a very different place if the UK's economy hadn't been such a wreck after WW2 and was forced to back down when the US refused to back its action, economically or militarily - thus ending any ideas of the UK continuing to be a global force. 

In the weeks after the withdrawal, the UK's first atomic bomb test in Christmas Island was successful.  It's not worth thinking about if the timing of that had been different.

Well worth the investment in the time it takes to read this weighty tome.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    28. The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan

One day India meets a between-homes trans girl called Abalyn and in the spur of the moment invites her to stay at her apartment. They quickly fall into a comfortable relationship with each other and so Abalyn decides to stay. But then one night India goes for a drive and comes across a naked, spaced out woman betwixt the road and a river, and India being India, she picks her up and brings her home. The story is relayed to the reader as India’s memoir, and here’s where thing get strange, because India is absolutely certain she picks this girl up twice and brings her home; once in the summer, and then again in the winter. The big wrinkle in the story is that India suffers from schizophrenia, and so is a very unreliable narrator.

I liked it a lot. The writing is never less than excellent, and Kiernan has a way of writing very natural dialogue. I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure what to make of the very last part of the book; I’m not really sure what’s real and what’s not, and maybe that’s the point, but it doesn’t feel like it. Also, writing a convincing inside out view of schizophrenia is no mean feat and the author aces it. It’s not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Pride and the Fall : Iran 1974-1979 by Sir Anthony Parsons is the personal account and analysis of the end of the Shah's reign in 70s Iran.

Parsons was the British Ambassador at the time. I can remember this happening but at the age I was (13) didn't really know much about it. A thought provoking insight to regime change from within (it is believed that the Shah's downfall started partially as a result of him removing oppressive controls and becoming more liberal) and how people from that part of world are actually far more controlled and focussed, even in their riots, than the stereotypical image of the Arabian hothead.

Sir Anthony vents quite a bit of his guilt from his perceived failure - though from this it's hard to see what could have been done, and the images he portrays of him scuttling around Tehran in the riots in his chauffeur driven Rolls Royce harkens back to a different age.

A somewhat brief work but highly readable and the man is no slouch with a pen with some wonderful use of our language.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    29. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

Perhaps unsurprisingly I have read this quite a few times before, but this is the first time I have ever read the original version of The Hobbit. Before the publication of The Lord of the Rings Tolkien went back and made some changes to The Hobbit so that narratively speaking it would link up more cohesively with its sequel. The most important change is made in chapter five, Riddles in the Dark. Originally when Bilbo plays the riddle game with Gollum and wins, the creature is relatively happy about handing over his precious to Bilbo. Clearly the One Ring as he wrote about it then was just a magic trinket with no wider significance, and that’s how it stayed for almost twenty years, until The Lord of the Rings was finally complete.

I really enjoyed reading through this again, and it was made all the more pleasurable by reading from a faithful facsimile of the original publication.

xy89tNl.jpg

bM2PPMp.jpg

Have also just worked my way through the BBC radio plays of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings for an extra potent shot of nostalgia. Love them still.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very nice indeed.

The BBC presentations are clearly highly influential on the Jackson films. They were a superb job overall.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yep, certainly the Gollum performance gave Serkis something to jump off from.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    30. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

I decided to read this after reading Downward to the Earth by Robert Silverberg at the beginning of the year, which leans pretty heavily on Conrad’s classic. This book might be short, but what it lacks in length it makes up for in depth. I already feel like I need to read it again in order to fully unpick its themes and to properly understand it. As it stand at the moment I like it, but I wonder if when I read it again I might not just love it. Now to rewatch Apocalypse Now.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. In the midst of that one right now.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    31. Farmer Giles of Ham by J. R. R. Tolkien

Another Tolkien story, another dragon and its hoard of gold and jewels, though this one is set in England, probably some time during the sixth century in spite of the incongruous appearance of a blunderbuss. One day a giant wanders onto the titular farmer’s land and almost by sheer luck he manages to scare the thing away, much to the delight of everyone in the village. So when the dragon Chrysophylax Dives shows up and starts barbecuing livestock and people everyone turns to the foul-tempered farmer to do something.

It’s a great story, and would probably work very well as a film. It started life as an oral story Tolkien told his children, but as it found it’s way onto the page (it took twenty years to finally go into print) the target age of the prospective reader went up, until in the end Tolkien no longer considered it a children’s story at all. He wasn’t shy of dropping a bit of Latin into it, for example. Anyway, another Tolkien story thoroughly enjoyed.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have heard of that tale. I'll put that on my to read list.  It's a pity Amazon don't do stuff like this instead of some half warm prequel bollocks.
  • 11. Evil is a Matter of Perspective (various)
    An anthology of short stories in the genre of 'grimdark' fantasy. As with any compilation quality varies and despite the frustration of the briefness of the form, it's a good way to find new writers that I might like who are creating worlds that merit further exploration.

12. The Hod King (Josiah Bancroft)
    A re-read of the third in the Babel series in preparation for the fourth and final book. I absolutely love this series, it's got so much texture and life to the characters and the mysteries they are surrounded by.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    11. Evil is a Matter of Perspective (various) An anthology of short stories in the genre of 'grimdark' fantasy. As with any compilation quality varies and despite the frustration of the briefness of the form, it's a good way to find new writers that I might like who are creating worlds that merit further exploration.

Did you find any?
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah, will be looking into Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series (which I probably would have gotten to anyway). But also some other stuff by Teresa Frohock (her Los Neffilim series set in an alternative Spanish Civil War where angels and demons battle on either side), Michael Fletcher's Manifest Delusions series, Marc Turner's Chronicles off the Exile series (pirates X wizards) and the Arthurian world of Shawn Speakmans Annwn Cycle.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m doing something Arthurian at the moment; The Once and Future King. It’s absolutely massive and not at all what I was expecting.
    Get schwifty.
  • Ooh I want to read that! Let me know how it is.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!