Amiga 500 mini
  • I only played a demo of Sensible Golf so I'd put that on for sure too.

It wasn't the best port but the Amiga version of Final Fight was probably my most played game until I discovered The Secret of Monkey Island. It wouldn't save on my mate's Amiga so it had to be done over a weekend once, I remember getting stuck on act II for ages for some reason.

Footie games too obviously, dozens of them. Sensi was The One but he had one where you could chase the ref around too. Might've been called Red Card (or somehing whistle maybe, stupid brain) but I'll have to look it up.
  • Does the keyboard work on the console unit?

EDIT is it functional/?
  • I had an A1200 so the 500 doesn't quite do it for me.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The first thing I'd play is probably Zeewolf. Was super jel of that in magazines and never got to play it. Probably crap now but I've got to know.

I still have this on a (pirated) disc somewhere.  It really was good.
  • It emulates the 500, 600 and 1200 and you can add stuff to it without hacking it.
  • Although the A1200 is in a plastic box in the garage.  It might even still work (and the HDD might even have those JPEGs of boobs I got from a PC-owning mate at Uni).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    Does the keyboard work on the console unit? EDIT is it functional/?

There's a USB port for a keyboard.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Super Frog was my favourite game on the Amiga. Closely followed by a game called Brian the Lion and Yo Joe - I was well into platformers back then. 

Surprised to see no Kings Quest games included in the line up.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    No mention of North & South or the Cinemawares. Losers! Knights of the Sky, Dune II and OG Worms...

At launch, I think the 500 was one of the most amazing machines ever, but also that its limelight was brief, and it only stood up to the Mega Drive and SNES through piracy. One of my mates loved Moonstone, and Crammond's Grand Prix was a tech marvel, if perhaps a bit less rewarding than Stunt Car Racer.

I used to play a lot of M1 Tank Platoon, despite its ropiness even then. Computer gaming meant clicking on stuff, I guess.
  • North and south is still top tier. We were so lucky we had it. The replay ability and difficulty were set perfectly.

Lotus 1&2 and then the jaguar game set the precedent for top gear on the snes.

Chasehq was a better outrun (oh outrun) on the Amiga.

Was there any methodology about how they chose games or was it purely on rights?

The Amiga 500 launched with either than Batman pack (not there) or fun pack (which had the eco captain guy platformer and maybe rainbow island).

My friend and I got different one so we could swap games prior to his brother having copied everything from school friends.

Glad it comes with a pad and not a johstick. I used to go through joysticks every four months playing Summer Olympiad.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    The Amiga 500 launched with either than Batman pack (not there) or fun pack (which had the eco captain guy platformer and maybe rainbow island).
    Cartoon Classics pack came with Captain Planet, Lemmings and Bart Vs The Space Mutants (and Deluxe Paint). Though mine also came with a tennis game. Maybe it was an extra game the shop were throwing in.
  • Did Amiga have First Samurai?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Brian the Lion!

I’ve still got the big box at my parents house along with a few others. I also remember having Jurassic Park but the game looked nothing like the screenshots on the back of the box.

I had tons of games for it (mostly pirated) but many were absolute garbage.

These were back in the days when you had to go to page x, line x, word x in the instruction manual as a anti privacy measure lol. How times have changed.

Not interested in this but I do have fond memories.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Brian the Lion!

mLdQZ5.gif
  • Amiga had some great tunes -

• I had a game on the Amiga called Man from the Council :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Scout wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Cartoon Classics pack came with Captain Planet, Lemmings and Bart Vs The Space Mutants (and Deluxe Paint). Though mine also came with a tennis game. Maybe it was an extra game the shop were throwing in.

I think the batman pack was the year before. I was a cartoon classics guy as well, it had the amiga 500+ which had a slightly different version of kick-start which meant some games might not load without using a disk to switch back to the old kick start if I remember right.

Highlights of the amiga era for me were : alien breed, lemmings, sensible soccer, North & South, moonstone, monkey Island 2, il+, rainbow island, speedball 2, and of course turrican 2.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Gurt in there with the intro from Ghouls n' Ghosts. One of the best tunes ever.
  • Is that the same Tim Follin as Plok Tim Follin?
    That guy's a technical wizard the likes of Yuzo Koshiro.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Man From the Council has tickled me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Man From the Council has tickled me.

Talk to a grown up.

SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, that's definitely a beige-car man.
  • One week tomorrow!
  • Ah hell, I'm gonna pre-order one, why not? Amiga 500 was my first games console and have fond memories of playing New Zealand Story with my dad, one of my earliest memories!
  • It wasn't a games console, it was a serious computer for helping with schoolwork.
  • I remember having a whale of a time with the text to speech program it had.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    When we asked if we could play on the computer during breaks at primary school, our teacher always corrected us with ‘work on the computer’.

Sure, if Granny's Garden qualifies. Valiant Turtle was best.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!