Amiga 500 mini
‹ Previous123
  • Hi, is anyone else getting an Amiga 500 mini? 

I can't wait, got it on pre-order from GAME. I've got an original in the loft but it needs a crt to play it on. This will be awesome.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I’m really tempted.
  • Ive just re-pre-ordered.
    Fuck it. 

I haven't gone in for any of these mini consoles but the Amiga is particularly nostalgic for me and emulation through other methods is tricky.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was never an Amiga owner nor ever experienced any games on it.

Was it the platform of choice for the Bitmap Bros? Love their work. Gods and Chaos Engine are two entries in my greatest 100 list , albeit experienced as SNES ports.

edit: just checked the game list - Chaos Engine there and Pinball Dreams was supposed to be good - what's the opinion on that games list?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It’s missing lemmings, cannon fodder and sensible soccer so it’s injerently flawed.
  • Games list is fine but has clear omissions. 
    I think its the case that if you buy it you will almost certainly want to side load which can be done without any hacking so all gravy.

Anyway it wouldn't be a true Amiga experience without some piracy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Was never an Amiga owner nor ever experienced any games on it.

Sometimes that's for the best: I love my PC Engine mini, but never even touched one back in t' day.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I think you would get a kick out of it Davy.

Being a home computer there are those kind of mental games that were on the older home  PCs but would never make it to a console due to cartridge and licensing costs, except much better graphics on the Amiga than those older computers would have.

My main memories of Amiga gaming was trawling through cover discs playing obscure crap.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - I'm tempted by it I have to say and it will be nice to play "new" retro games.

This, the Egret II with the spinner/track ball control and the JP MD mini are the 3 ones I've been tempted by. 

The Egret II really only has the Taito Legends games that I've played - but the paddle games would be better with the analogue controller but not convinced it's worth the cost. 

The MD mini was tempting because of the Darius game and its rare port of Tetris, but I've sort of gone off that now as I have the Darius collection for Switch and the TEtris port is part of the PS2 Tetris collection I have. 

The amiga one would largely be new experiences.

The PC-Engine was a revelation to me when I got some its games for the Wii VC - was a superb console. Didn't even know it had a mini.
  • Not me, now if there was a mini ST...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was an Atari fanboy before I was a Nintard (before being more open minded). The Atari computers were my wet dream in the 80s. An Atari 800 was my dream console (cart slot, 4 controller ports and tape or disc options) but was way over budget. The Atari ST range then came after that and I'd have loved one of those.   I always presumed the Amiga and ST had largely similar libraries.

It's never occurred to me to even look at emulation for that era to check it out.
  • I’m sort of in the middle. The Amiga was the object owned by my cousins so I was in pure envy in that era.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had an Amiga, it was great.

I’m tempted by one of these, but I think I’m willing to hold off to see if the price comes down at all.
  • Yeah it might.

If it ever does though you need to strike. The Ps1 one is back to 90 pounds and the Mega drive one is over 220 on Amazon.
  • Its £115 on Amazon which is £5 less than RRP I think so a saving if a small one.

Trouble is these minis go one way or the other. I think I'd be more upset about losing out totally than spending an extra £40 or so than necessary. That is me though it will be different for everyone.
  • Yeah it might. If it ever does though you need to strike. The Ps1 one is back to 90 pounds and the Mega drive one is over 220 on Amazon.

I paid £20 for the PS1 version, when it tanked after the initial sales rush.
  • £15.99 for me, all modded up by retroking now, I love it.

A friend of mine had an Amiga, and all the games, as was de riguer, which was quite something as a console gamer. A large list of roms(?) to choose from after a bit of tinkering with this could be amazing, even if only to experience some of the wonderfully woeful licensed platformers.

The console ports of the Bitmap games are mostly considered inferior to the Amiga games afaik, Davy.

Edit: as were the Sensible ports iirc.
  • I think we have done this before but why not.

List of Roms I am absolutely all over many of which are for nostalgia reasons over quality but some are decent as well.

James Pond
    James Pond 2: Robocod
    Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
    Lotus Turbo Challenge 3
    Jaguar XJ220
    Jurassic Park
    Top Banana
    Revenge of the Mutant Camels
    Lemmings
    Lemmings 2
    Christmas Lemmings
    Captain Planet
    Batman
    Addams Family
    Deluxe Paint 2
    Bart vs the Space Mutants
    Desert Strike
    Apocalypse
    Fantastic Dizzy
    Spin Dizzy Worlds
    Uridium 2
    Psycho Santa
    Cannon Fodder
    Sensible Soccer
    Cannon Soccer
    Gods
    Frogger
    Big Nose the Caveman
    Ivanhoe
  • That basically looks like mine but id have Captain Planet, Super Frog and maybe Fire and Ice.

Curse your random list.
  • Maybe syndicate too.
  • You also reminded me of some version of Frogger I had.
  • I have never considered one of these retro consoles, but this is tempting.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That basically looks like mine but id have Captain Planet, Super Frog and maybe Fire and Ice.

Curse your random list.

Super Frog!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Fuck! Stunt Car Racer and Pinball Dreams!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • And Pinball Fantasies!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Can’t not mention

Escape from the planet of the robot monsters

The list of games is ok but not Stella. Would’ve liked Bomb jack

Pleased about kick off 2 in the absence of sensi

Also no rainbow islands
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember hearing about Super Frog.

Also heard the SNES/MD ports of the Bitmap games were regarded as inferior - Gods and Chaos Engine were pretty good on SNES though.

Was there an Arkanoid game called Addictaball? I remember fancying that.

I should set up an emulator and check some stuff out first.
  • The first thing I'd play is probably Zeewolf. Was super jel of that in magazines and never got to play it. Probably crap now but I've got to know.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!