Health foods
  • If God wanted us to make our own burgers (s)he wouldn't have put freezer sections in the supermarket. ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Unlikely wrote:
    We've a fairly limited number of meals that we can all have as a family, due to myriad allergy/intolerance.  However, here's a burger so simple even Nick and Ram could manage it.

Get mince
    Blitz an onion in a blitzy machine (I use a Ninja)
    Hand-moosh mince and onion with some* ketchup, L&P, salt and pepper
    Form into burgers
    Cook**

*Just spray enough in that looks right.  I don't do measurements.
    **Oven for half an hour at 180 if you're super lazy, BBQ for best results, grill or pan fry if you're willing to keep an eye on them.

I retain enough moosh for me once the basic burgers are done and add things I like/can have but the others don't/can't, e.g. blitzed chillis.

I hate cleaning up after cooking. For lazy results, get frozen onions. Diced or minced.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I quite enjoy the act of chopping up vegetables, especially since I got my expensive but great chef’s knife.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Joining yous lads today is the day a new me begins

20220501-171334.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fancy kebab and chips in a bowl.
  • Katsu loyal stand up
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It has rice - good for you, chicken - good for you, potato - good for you. So there.
  • Rice *and* chips. The meal of a king, there.
  • Joining yous lads today is the day a new me begins

20220501-171334.jpg

That looks leng fr fr no cap

• Do you need an ambulance?
  • He just needs a brain. DON'T EAT THE BRAIN WE GIVE YOU.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Avoiding processed foods is my thing. My veggie daughter has fallen into the trap of eating pre-prepared meals which I'm wary of.

I don't mind cooking. Enjoy it occasionally. Wifey hates it but bless her she does the lion's share and we start with proper ingredients.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've cooked almost every day for more than 20 years and at this stage I'm pretty confident in my ability. I still enjoy making stuff too and it's good enough that eating out is rarely a thing as I can make most things better, unless it's a high class place. I don't know what people have against cooking really, as it's pretty relaxing once you get into it. The secret to cooking well is organisation and efficiency. Anybody can cook a recipe from a book if they have 5 hours. If you can do it in 30 minutes then it's no bother to eat well all the time.
  • I don't know what people have against [insert thing], it's easy.

Some people just don't like it.

I would rather spend my time doing anything other than cooking, for the most part. I'm not knocking the art, fair play to those that like it, but for some of us it's a chore.
  • My brother on the other hand, cooks every night, with multiple ingredients and spices etc, smells great. But that's him. Like my mum says, he lives to eat, I eat to live.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't say it was easy. Everything is a chore to begin with. You make it a routine and it becomes not a chore. That's my view of it anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I made an agreement with the gf when we moved in together that she'd clean and I'd cook, basically because she disliked cooking more than cleaning. So I had to do it. Years later I still do all the cooking, and I don't think twice about it, it's just a thing I do. I think you can teach yourself to enjoy anything, really.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Was just going through my three good things cookbook and this recipe seems fitting for here:

Pasta sausage cabbage

1tbsp oil/ 4 sausages/ 300gr pasta/ half green cabbage shredded (can probably buy shredded)/ salt and pepper

Heat oil in pan, fry sausage (10ish minutes), take out and cut into small pieces, return to pan so cut sides crisp up

While the sausages fry set some water to boil. Salt and add pasta. 3 minutes before end of suggested time on pasta package add shredded cabbage.

When pasta / cabbage is done throw it into the pan with the sausages and mix. Salt and pepper.

For the cabbage you can use any thing green you want pretty much, kale, spinach (but don't boil that put it with the sausages)

Can also see adding mushrooms or sliced onions to the sausage fry pan work.

And if you go with a green that doesn't need to boil, you could also serve with rice.

Can also see it with work with ground beef, just spice it up with some rice vinegar and soy and msg and serve with rice. So it's ground beef, green, rice.

Seems not too involved, and sausages/ground beef and most greens will stay fine in the fridge for a couple days so if work was busier than expected etc it's fine to leave it for a next time soon.
  • Kow wrote:
    I didn't say it was easy. Everything is a chore to begin with. You make it a routine and it becomes not a chore. That's my view of it anyway.

You're probably right, need to form the habit/routine. Maybe batch cooking is where it's at for me so I don't have to cook every night.

Thanks for the recipe, Nina.
  • Can't tell you how many meals I froze and then decided against eating for basically no reason other than it looked a bit uglier than I remembered.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I made an agreement with the gf when we moved in together that she'd clean and I'd cook, basically because she disliked cooking more than cleaning. So I had to do it. Years later I still do all the cooking, and I don't think twice about it, it's just a thing I do. I think you can teach yourself to enjoy anything, really.

Meal planning is the way. Wifey and I had it down to a bit of an art for a few years. It's habit forming. Far more economical too as it builds the shopping list and reduces waste. It went a bit pear shaped when Wifey reached her target weight but I take my share of the blame too. However we haven't gone back to processed food or takeaway - we are just disorganised. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey is back on the jelly beans and Tiffin bars though...  :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!