Rowling, Blow & Co. - Does Buying Someone's Game Mean You Endorse Their Bullshit?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    There’s quite a lot of pearl-clutching going on in this thread considering the lack of detail of what changes have actually been made to Dahl’s text.

There's a fair bit of it explained in the Sundays. Fat is now enormous apparantly.  A horse faced woman now has a face. The penmanship is breathtaking.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So that's all right then.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Quietly replacing things and supposing (and probably being right) that nobody will notice seems in some way more insidious. I think if you can justify changing and rewriting 'art' because it aligns with your moral point of view or what you perceive as the greater good, then we must also accept other groups editing out perceived immoralities, such as references to homosexuality, evolution, or whatever because it aligns with their views or communities. I mean, of course, you don't have to accept it but it seems a bit hypocritical. We can make changes because we're right, but you can't because you're wrong.
  • Maybe an author was a big ol' racist, and wouldn't agree to changes while they were alive.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's their prerogative. Don't read it. Changing it in hindsight is a slippery slope.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    With kids' books, I think the likes of Peter Pan is fine. There's the Disneyfied version, as there is their version of Beauty and the Beast etc, but they are clearly versions. The original still exists and you can choose to buy and read it if you want, problematic as it may be to modern readers.
  • In the new edition of Witches, a supernatural female posing as an ordinary woman may be working as a “top scientist or running a business” instead of as a “cashier in a supermarket or typing letters for a businessman”.
    The word “black” was removed from the description of the terrible tractors in 1970s The Fabulous Mr Fox. The machines are now simply “murderous, brutal-looking monsters”.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/20/roald-dahl-books-rewrites-criticism-language-altered

The gf once got told off by a woman who had written books about white privilege for using the term ‘black and white thinking’ because it apparently casts black as a negative term. These things all start from good intentions but quickly slide into the absurd.
  • Kow wrote:
    Quietly replacing things and supposing (and probably being right) that nobody will notice seems in some way more insidious. I think if you can justify changing and rewriting 'art' because it aligns with your moral point of view or what you perceive as the greater good, then we must also accept other groups editing out perceived immoralities, such as references to homosexuality, evolution, or whatever because it aligns with their views or communities. I mean, of course, you don't have to accept it but it seems a bit hypocritical. We can make changes because we're right, but you can't because you're wrong.

Very good point, but for me the difference is whether its a publisher doing it or whether it is state mandated. In this case it really feels to me like a publisher looking to appeal to a new market. If it works great and I'd it doesn't apply the 'new coke' method and promote the return of the original texts. But you are right - we would all rage against a right wing version that turned matilda into a boy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • ‘black and white thinking’ because it apparently casts black as a negative term.

It's stuff like that that's so counter-productive for progressivism. Language itself is never inherently harmful, it's how people act according to it. If you're hurt by the word "fat" or something like that it's because people have used it to label and insult you or people like you, it's people that are the problem, obfuscating the terminology isn't going to do anything other than give you some kind of temporary safety blanket.

When we remove terms from our media it should be for a very good reason, with clear logical and causal links between the words and the perpetuation of hate and harm.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This isn't an complex issue. 

Something written by an author has been changed by people who had nothing to do with its creation.

They have edited something. Some would say censored it.  It sets a precedent however well meaning.

It's also about arse covering - I'll wager their concerns about harm (please) don't extend to all the existing copies out there. Are they offering a free exchange perhaps?

It's an old book written many years ago. If you don't like the book then don't buy it. Write some fucking new ones.

The change concerns me but not as much as how it was done. I am confident this era of infantilism will be looked back on with some shame.
  • I think there are a couple of issues. Firstly, as Davy says, it’s clearly censorship. Secondly, it’s not even *good* censorship. Some of the changes (the disclaimer about women in wigs, for instance) don’t sound remotely like Dahl any more. Others miss the point. Calling Mrs Twit “ugly” is to convey more than her physical appearance- it’s a statement on her personality too. Indeed, the whole concept of The Twits is that their awful appearance reflects their awful personalities. You can rightly say that’s a horrible notion to establish in the minds of children - but that’s the story. Editing out the word “ugly” is both artistically nonsensical and failing to achieve what you’re wanting.

Of course it’s normal for stories to change over time. Any tale worth telling will get rewritten many times to match the prevailing culture. But we don’t claim it’s the original text. We leave chunks out of Shakespeare plays on a regular basis, or remake them for modern audiences with an “inspired by” credit, and that’s all fine. But changing the words, whilst keeping the author’s name, as if they’d had anything to do with it, is bizarre.

(If you’re going to do it, do it openly - my kids have a copy of “The Magic Pudding” in which a chunk is removed due to anti-semitism. It has a long introduction explaining what they removed, and why…)
  • It would have all been done with the approval of his estate. And Dahl would have chosen who that was, at least originally.

I think the problem is when books acquire a cultural significance then the dead author’s wishes aren’t even that relevant anymore. ‘Ownership’ of the books goes beyond what the author wants, originally intended, or whatever else.

At that point changes need to be done very carefully. And these aren’t careful changes.
    noLikdT.jpg
    If you’re fat, they’ve got your back. If you need braces, fuck you, welcome to the real world, bugs bunny.
  • I may have made this up but I always thought of The Twits as it being that their awful personalities kind of begot their outward appearances. Maybe that's not actually in the story but that's what I internalised from my reading of it all those years ago.
  • 'Estate' owners are the fucking worst.
    Vultures on a carcass.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I may have made this up but I always thought of The Twits as it being that their awful personalities kind of begot their outward appearances. Maybe that's not actually in the story but that's what I internalised from my reading of it all those years ago.

That's how it was. Who knows what botch job they will have made of it though.
  • Yeah I think The Twits is a story that has really stayed with me actually, the idea of your internal state being reflected in your outward aspect is quite a powerful and positive one I think.
  • I may have made this up but I always thought of The Twits as it being that their awful personalities kind of begot their outward appearances. Maybe that's not actually in the story but that's what I internalised from my reading of it all those years ago.

Thats exactly the point of the ugliness in the twits. Although I do remember a lad in school crying over the Beard chapter as his dad had a big bushy beard.

I've just come through a fairly in dept reading period with my daughter and the Dahl books over the past year - She's read Matilda, BFG, the two Charlies, Magic Finger, Mr Fox, Twits, Giant Peach in the past year. There are one or two passages I squirmed a little on but they were not related to personal insults. Mr Fox slicing the chickens neck was a bit of a hmmm moment as was reading about the Farmers Cider drinking. Otherwise I dont see any issues. Its true that Dahl does poke fun at fat people to an extent but its always balanced by the greediness. 

But I do think we are living in a far more sensitive period. I see it with the young people who work for me. They do take things way more personally than I would have at their age. Some see this as a negative on them but maybe its more that we accepted way more. I'm not sure where I stand - as a Manager, I'm completely against it for obvious reasons, but growing up I loved the banter and didnt mind if it was directed at me (plus you can tell when there's malice behind it). So maybe the books do need some tweeking - it seems ott to me but so do people talking about micro aggressions. Times change. 

I do like the idea of putting an "inspired by" tag for the ammended one and maybe both versions can be published. As a parent you can choose if you approve or not. 
    monkey wrote:
    If you’re fat, they’ve got your back. If you need braces, fuck you, welcome to the real world, bugs bunny.

Spit my coffee reading that - top work.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I always thought it would be George's Marvellous medicine that would get the chop.
    Mix every chemical in the house and give it to your mean nan to drink.

Nope, specifically describing a fat kid as fat was the issue all along.
  • Ah. Dahl’s ‘estate’ turns out to be Netflix who bought the whole lot a couple of years ago - publishing rights, film rights, the whole shebang.
  • Yeah. Brace yourself for Content.
  • monkey wrote:
    Incredible.

Urgh. Imagination killer. So dumb.
  • Hopefully this generated enough flack that they won't fucking do it again without way more of a headsup.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Or get someone with talent and an appreciation of the original work to have a crack at it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Someone racist enough to maintain the feel of the original.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    "Slap the wench til her barnet goes zoom" reads better
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • This is fascist bullshit. I'd rather they just fucking burned them than change them. Who's the author now? Dahl + committee?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!