Rowling, Blow & Co. - Does Buying Someone's Game Mean You Endorse Their Bullshit?
  • Knight wrote:
    Great so you’re saying that some trans activists are also emotional beyond any comprehension to you and attack a tiny minority of de-trans folk and gender critical feminists with a perpetual rage that they could be questioned?

I thought, hoped, that was clear?

The points I’ve made remain. I have no interest in pursuing a pointless “who will win” argument with you, so I’ll reiterate and fuck off

- if you didn’t know what you were doing with your first post, you should write more carefully if your aim is to engage “the other side”

- it has been very easy to “engage” with Rowling’s thoughts, positions on trans rights and gender recognition. Her justifications for said positions have also been unavoidable. She is undoubtedly to my mind a transphobe, I do not need to hear more to reach this conclusion

- a lengthy podcast exploring how she has been cancelled twice, drawing parallels with religious nuts burning her books and trans rights nuts stalking and threatening her and her family, sounds like a shit way to spend my time. More on how her personal experience has shaped her transphobia? How legions of “women with penises” are about to invade safe houses for female victims violence? How misunderstood she is? Produced by Bari Weiss you say! Sign me the fuck up

Recommend Tim’s post for more balanced view if you can’t see past my condescension and boredom
  • JonB wrote:
    Would you say trans women are women?
    Can someone say no to this without being labelled a transphobe? Is it really a binary question? EDIT: It's such a ridiculous minefield.
    I wasn't asking you, but I think it's quite straightforward.
    davyK wrote:
    That's the problem. Thought crime next.
    What are you talking about?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Shouty people making people afraid to express an opinion. Drives it underground instead of bringing it out in the open.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Can someone say no to this without being labelled a transphobe?

Is it really a binary question?

EDIT: It's such a ridiculous minefield.

I'll happily say no. Not out of any fierce rejection of the idea. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
  • For me, it's a lot like Brexit.

"Nobody is talking about leaving the customs union and single market." became "The single market and customs union are bad for the United Kingdom, and we'll broker far better deals."

Much like trans activism started out with "Nobody is claiming trans people are the opposite sex, they just want protections in law to prevent them being discriminated against in employment, education and opportunity." but has now twisted itself to denying the reality of sex through Self ID.

When the Gender Recognition Act 2015 was brought into effect in Ireland, it immediately conflates gender and sex.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/section/18/enacted/en/html

"Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman."

Scotland implemented similar, as have other countries.

What started as a request that no reasonable person could deny, has become a biology denying ideology, that is now tied in with removing safeguarding standards (particularly for girls and women) in favour of inclusivity.

Sex is easily the most important way to categorise, and when required, separate people for safety, privacy, and fairness.

Trans activism is now the biggest enemy of trans rights. Claiming no debate, threatening people, assaulting people is not how you win them over to your cause. Advocating for what is increasingly being recognised internationally as unethical, and experimental treatment of minors does not help trans adults cause.

As T+ has been teamed with LGB, the decades long fight for equality that the LGB community only recently achieved, is now under attack directly because of trans and "queer" activism.
  • T isn't new.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Can someone say no to this without being labelled a transphobe? Is it really a binary question? EDIT: It's such a ridiculous minefield.
    davyK wrote:

Straightforward? Doesn't appear to be given the amount of debate! Certainly doesn't appear straightforward to me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't. People are complicated.

Language, semantics and emotions come into play. If we treat people well it goes a long way. I always try and see the human in front of me no matter what category we mentally assign.

Actions are what really count. I do admit to the linguistic machinations to be tiring and an awful lot is read into what people say. Sure...it's an indication of whichever bias we are applying at the time, but it doesn't always follow what a person would do or how they would behave when interacting with someone.

We do need to make an effort and be conscious of what we say does to a person though. We also have to live wlth the fact that we all have bias.

Tolerance.
  • There’s a difference between something being straightforward (trans women are women)

And that straightforward thing being acceptable and tolerable and understandable to lots of people

Loving the idea that trans rights is a new thing

And also that we should preach tolerance for those who refuse to accept the straightforward thing, while those who suffer marginalisation and victimisation both legally and societally for existing get little sympathy. I know it’s not what you mean Davy but it comes across a bit “hey won’t someone think of the reactionary people who find it hard to understand ‘new’ things and accept change while that trans kid kills themselves?”

The bit that still amazes us how important it is to people so utterly unaffected by this sub1% of the population to defend the status quo rather than just, you know, say “huh, so that’s cool. I guess we should calmly and carefully and together think about how that impacts pro sports”
  • Trans activism is now the biggest enemy of trans rights.
    Rather than pick through the whole post, I'd rather just ask how you can possibly believe this. It's like saying black people who used violence to fight for civil rights were the biggest enemy of racial equality, rather than, say, Nazis or the KKK, or segregation laws. Astonishing.
  • davyK wrote:
    Shouty people making people afraid to express an opinion. Drives it underground instead of bringing it out in the open.
    Oh no, not shouty people. The horror. Surely that's a social media problem rather than a trans-rights people being mean problem. I mean, the individuals that attract the most 'shouty people' (read vicious abuse and death threats) are marginalised groups like trans-people, for saying basically anything at all. If they can put up with it, I'm sure you can handle a little exuberant pushback on your opinions.
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Straightforward? Doesn't appear to be given the amount of debate! Certainly doesn't appear straightforward to me.
    There's tons of debate around trans issues. But the question of whether a trans-person can be the gender they say they are is effectively the baseline of acceptance.
  • davyK wrote:
    It isn't. People are complicated.

Language, semantics and emotions come into play. If we treat people well it goes a long way. I always try and see the human in front of me no matter what category we mentally assign.

Actions are what really count. I do admit to the linguistic machinations to be tiring and an awful lot is read into what people say. Sure...it's an indication of whichever bias we are applying at the time, but it doesn't always follow what a person would do or how they would behave when interacting with someone.

We do need to make an effort and be conscious of what we say does to a person though. We also have to live wlth the fact that we all have bias.

Tolerance.

Tolerance is the least we can offer. Acceptance of the dignity of another is what we should strive to.

There is a really solid core to your post though which I think is essential reading. At the moment, all you and I and everyone else discussing it here is seen as words on a screen except for those who know each other personally.

What matters most, as you say, is actions.

I might disagree with a number of people who, for simplicity's sake might be more on Rowling's side of the debate, but if those people and everyone else is able to treat LGBTI+ people with respect and dignity like any other human, then those actions matter.

Yes, that would mean using their identity, not their dead name, being respectful as with anyone else. Just as we would hopefully try and be decent and kind to people from any other background that might be challenging to us.

Except Nazis. Fuck them.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Oh no, not shouty people. The horror. Surely that's a social media problem rather than a trans-rights people being mean problem. I mean, the individuals that attract the most 'shouty people' (read vicious abuse and death threats) are marginalised groups like trans-people, for saying basically anything at all. If they can put up with it, I'm sure you can handle a little exuberant pushback on your opinions.

Thanks for making my point.

It's like walking into a room full of mousetraps in here sometimes.

Fuck Me.

For the record (sigh), I wasn't referring to anyone here. I didn't think I had to make that clear. Nothing wrong with robust discourse. But sometimes it feels that only one version of opinion matters. Again. Not here.
    And middle aged grey white Protestants have feelings too.
  • What did I say that doesn't fall under the banner of 'robust discourse'? I didn't say anything personal, or abusive. I wasn't shouty.

I also wasn't referring to anyone here - I clearly said it's a general social media problem.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fair enough.

Stick interface failure.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    People do have to shout to be heard, if you don't the majority just fuck you over anyway, so why wouldn't you?

JonB makes a good analogy with the civil rights in America.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think the word shout is being leapt upon here. Like other words do.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was responding to Chopper's post and Jon's reply. Just used the word shout as that's what has to be done, wasn't thinking about your post tbh Davy.
    JonB wrote:
    Trans activism is now the biggest enemy of trans rights.
    Rather than pick through the whole post, I'd rather just ask how you can possibly believe this. It's like saying black people who used violence to fight for civil rights were the biggest enemy of racial equality, rather than, say, Nazis or the KKK, or segregation laws. Astonishing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AH....the old stick again.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyhow.. JK.  I'd still give her one.
  • The statement ‘trans women are woman’ is simplified and ‘dumbing down’ in significant ways and those claiming it’s straightforward whilst decrying the dumbing down of the debate aren’t being very self aware.

So let me have a stab at answering. Trans woman are woman in the sense that they’ve decided they’re women. That is, the definition of a woman is ‘someone who thinks they’re a woman’. You may believe that a. someone thinking they’re a woman makes them a woman and that b. That definition of a woman is the only definition you’re willing to accept.

Or you may be one of those people, like plenty of trans people, who when they say ‘trans woman are woman’ mean ‘my gender identity is ‘female’ and in that sense I’m a woman. I ‘identify’ as a woman and yet I recognise that one could reasonably and on occasion rightly, define a woman in a different way, and when that happens I’m happy to recognise I am not a woman in that sense. So as a trans woman I do not need screening for cervix cancer for example and I won’t expect health authorities to offer it to me.’
    I think this perspective raises the question, what does ‘femaleness’ or female gender identity mean aside from aesthetic and social markers and how do you avoid stereotyping what a ‘woman’ is to preferences for certain colours and dresses and mannerisms etc. However this idea has the strong benefit of not demanding biological male access to female spaces and so it can take loads of the heat out of the conversation. The reality is this is not the dominant voice. The dominate voice is ‘trans woman are woman so should have access to all female spaces’.

Or you may believe that genetics, the potential to bear children (sometimes this goes wrong - my wife and I can’t conceive, but this doesn’t deny the natural potential), primary and secondary sex characteristics, the lived experience of puberty, periods etc make someone a woman. You may believe that ‘nature’ has some inherent claim on us and we have a responsibility to recognise that. LOADS of feminists are saying this and pretending their view is inherently transphobic and not worthy of respect is silly. Not least because the majority of the British population agrees with them.

So belief systems and ideology are in play on both sides here and using the acceptance of a slogan to demonise (that is label transphobic) people is typically not the way to win arguments in a liberal democracy which believes in reasoned debate.
    GT: Knight640
  • I have no problem with the idea itself Trans that Women are Women but I do have an issue with the actual definition of a woman now including the added part of "someone who identifies as a woman"?

Leaving it aside from the Trans debate (aside from the age of transitioning thing being problematic for me to grasp, I dont see any major issue that cant be overcome with a bit of humanity because regardless of gender, Trans People are still people) - the idea that something is defined as being that thing feels problematic.

Whats a tree - its something we call a tree
    Whats an xbox - its a thing that is called an xbox
    Whats a man - its someone who identifies as a man

That all feels unhelpful as a definition.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’d certainly be interested to see engagement with objections about the circularity of the definition. ‘Trans woman are women’, ‘what’s a woman?’ ‘A woman is anyone who feels they’re a woman’.
    GT: Knight640
  • Knight wrote:
    I’d certainly be interested to see engagement with objections about the circularity of the definition. ‘Trans woman are women’, ‘what’s a woman?’ ‘A woman is anyone who feels they’re a woman’.

Thats not strictly fair. The issue for me is a woman being someone who identifies as a women. It feels odd. It being odd doesn't mean that you can't accept Trans woman as a woman as a statement of fact.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Knight wrote:
    I’d certainly be interested to see engagement with objections about the circularity of the definition. ‘Trans woman are women’, ‘what’s a woman?’ ‘A woman is anyone who feels they’re a woman’.

That's not circular. What you're actually saying is you don't agree with that definition of what the word "woman" means. (Is it a biological term, or a wider more encompassing term that includes gender?)

There is a huge difference between "a tree is something we call a tree" and "a man is someone who calls themselves a man" which is surely pretty self evident? (Whether you agree with it or not.)

As others have said though, the risk of these discussions is they become purely semantic - a way to reduce the debate to one about language rather than actual living humans.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!