Their Best One - Studio Ghibli
  • Unbelievable scenes in here. Taking it as a sign of disrespect in the home I've created.
  • Unbelievable scenes in here. Taking it as a sign of disrespect in the home I've created.

I refrained out of respect for your authority.
  • I did think everybody had walked in here trampled their muddy boots over your lovely new floor and started setting their own rules. This is Gavs pad, follow his rules plz.
  • Unless you’re educated to A-level standard and then you just know.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Did he do the stop-motion fox one?

If so, that. Not sure I’ve seen any others.
  • Best Wes Anderson movie then…

I find this really difficult.  Just as DS thinks they’re all dogshit, I think they’re (nearly) all great, so I struggle to rank them.  (Anderson makes a very specific type of film, and if you hate it, you’re likely to hate them all).  It’s easier to name the ones I don’t like much - Isle of Dogs, Bottle Rocket, Darjeeling Limited - but I’ll still happily watch them over most other stuff.  Still, as the best was asked for, I’ll attempt a top three…

Rushmore
    This was the first of his films I saw, and as such remains it remains my favourite.  Partly because I love the Schwartzman/Murray double act, and partly because I find new things when I come back to it. (Watch it when you’re Max’s age, watch it again when you’re Herman’s.)  Rushmore also nails the subtle “is this real or something created by the character?” thing that Anderson would return to over and over again, but whereas in others it perhaps creates too much artifice (Steve Zissou says “Hi”), here it seems entirely appropriate.

Fantastic Mr Fox
    This is sort of an object lesson in how to adapt a kids book.  The original is way too slight to be a movie, so Anderson makes something that is utterly removed, yet somehow gets the spirit of the novel regardless.  It’s also an absolutely brilliant kids film, though beware - I once caught mine trying to actually play Whack-Bat.

Moonrise Kingdom
    I know some people find the childhood romance that’s central to the movie problematic, but it gives this film a decidedly different feel to Anderson’s other movies.  Whilst several of his films are romantic, it’s arguably the only one where that romance isn’t presented at all cynically. It returns a little to Rushmore’s theme of kids playing at being adults, but here it’s more natural - they’re working out what it means, because that’s what they’re becoming. Despite the lightning, flooding and chaos, it somehow feels a smaller, gentler film as a result.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If I had to give any of his films any form of credit it would be Fantastic Mr Fox. Probably the only one I can endure.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If I had to give any of his films any form of credit it would be Fantastic Mr Fox. Probably the only one I can endure.

This is like sexual torture on DS
  • Maybe the next one is the best of Michael Bay? Fairs fair.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Maybe the next one is the best of Michael Bay? Fairs fair.

He will want the one that makes him orgasm most.
  • Best use of Archie Gemmill in a film?
  • I'm glad to see the Wes Anderson defenders. I was thinking this was a forum of undistinguished taste for a moment, belying the b&b spiel.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Here's my Wes list. I need to rewatch many (but not The French Dispatch), although Rushmore is my clear favourite, probably helped by it having been my first, but also the interplay between Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman is just fantastic, while Moonrise Kingdom is its closest challenger with its beautifully realised coming-of-age story, and The Grand Budapest Hotel would most likely be third if I had to cut the list there.

1. Rushmore
    2. Moonrise Kingdom
    3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    =. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    =. The Darjeeling Limited
    =. Asteroid City
    =. Isle of Dogs
    8. Fantastic Mr. Fox
    =. The Royal Tenenbaums
    10. Bottle Rocket
    11. The French Dispatch

• Post from a Reddit thread about how WA manages to get so many top actors but still keep the film budgets relatively low ($25M for Asteroid City):
    Hi there! I can actually directly answer this. I've been a long time fan and my profession is finance, so of course I dug into the rabbit hole to answer this year's ago.

First off you should know that his biggest fan is arguably Steven Rales. Rales is a multi-billionaire investor who's career has afforded him basically unlimited riches.

As a fan of Wes Andersons work, he helped set up Indian Paintbrush to help finance his movies.

Steven solved for 2 things for Wes: Money and providing creative freedom.

Now for the budget and how he gets these actors to sign on for cheap:

The actors know that Wes Anderson isnt out to make 100s of millions. What they are attracted to is his tight shoot schedules (Sometimes as little as 6 weeks), extremely well planned processes, and above all: The opportunity to get together with a fraternity of amazing actors and actresses.

Every major actor has described a Wes Anderson shoot as a pseudo work-vacation. He Flys you in to an amazing location, many times overseas. You have a tight schedule but what's truly amazing is every night they have a big dinner with everyone. They get to co-mingle with legends and share stories/hang out.

These shoots and dinners have become so legendary that many actors will hop on board at the union minimum just so they can say there were there. Wes has said the most push back he's gotten was the occasion actor requesting 1st class on the flight over. But for the most part they say yes right away.

TLDR: - Wes has a rich producer that ensures he has the resources he needs and gives him 100% creative freedom. - The actors describe the shoots as a work-vacation with a nightly dinner with stars. - In the acting world the honor of hanging out on these shoots is greater then a $M paycheck

Certainly backed by what I’d heard in interviews from Clooney about Fantastic Mr Fox. Seems like Rian Johnson has got a similar Funtime-on-shoot vibes going with the Knives Out films.
  • Rare instance of billionaire spunking money on something broadly considered worthwhile.
  • Wes Anderson is ok. Bit overrated compared to the other one. It's nice to look at but lacks substance. His version of There will be Blood would be someone in a bobble hat getting scratched by a waiter.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The difference is WA just makes one dish, which looks pretty on the plate but it's got no seasoning. PTA is rocking pizzas, sushi and curry and they're all bangers.
  • But what if you don't fancy sausages?!
  • Have yerself some Licorice Pizza (it's essentially about a pedo but somehow that's fine).
  • nick_md wrote:
    But what if you don't fancy sausages?!

You drink your own milkshake in slow motion while Vashti Bunyan sings about a snail called Maurice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If you can't see PTA has a very distinct long take, use of sharp contrast lighting, violiny discordence style that he uses in all his movies (and I love em) then you don't have an A Level in Media.
  • Moot can see it. We can all see it, in every scene of every film. I'd like not to see it for a change. I'm sure WA could not do it if he really tried.
  • I do like his films btw. I just want to see what else he can do.
  • I do like his films btw. I just want to see what else he can do.

Maybe he doesnt want to? I get where you are coming from and do agree he has pigeonhold himself to a degree but its his style. I think I'm happier with directors having a style and like it or not that its. Tarrantino doesnt branch out in his style, only really the type of movies but they all feel very much like tarantino. I dont think many directors can have both a distinct style as well as a broad range of movie types.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I just think it's a little too distinct. Yes most directors have a style but this is more an over-style and it's pretty much relentless. I gets a bit, I dunno, sickly?
  • Yeah Im more than happy for directors to stick to their style if thats what they want to do.
    So much of Hollywood has become homogenised now.
  • He's sort of homogenised himself though by this point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!