Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • 2. Leave the World Behind
    Was quite looking forward to this - an apocalypse film with three amazing actors in it? Yes please. Unfortunately, as is so often the case with Netflix exclusive films, this is an overlong and profoundly mediocre experience. The performances are decent enough, but the dialogue veers from unconvincing to terrible at times (Julia Roberts opening monologue is awful shite) and there's so many instances of the characters acting in ways that make no sense that the whole film quickly collapses in on itself. There's some decent ideas and some unnerving sequences, but they feel disjointed and not as profound as the film thinks they are. I'm sure there's some grand metaphor intended here, but I didn't really care enough to think it through. Knock at the Cabin did this much better and it was a bit shit. A massive wasted opportunity. 4
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Searching

Well I thought this was excellent. Maybe not the most original of plots, but the telling of it was top tier, and supremely executed in terms of what they were trying to do. Like a interactive movie that was actually better as a movie somehow.

As a dad it gets bonus marks for some of the feels aging the way. The opening montage was very powerful too. Not really sure what more to say, but a strong rec.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    And there's a sequel, hurrah. So that's up next...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Both those are great.

However I watched Barbie and bar a couple of scenes it's fucking trash lads, most of you been huffing glue. Shite stilted humour carried by a couple of alright performances.
  • Not pretentious enough for you, gotcha.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's quite probably one of the most up its own arse films I've seen in a good while so oddly its probably too pretentious
  • I watched Barbie and bar a couple of scenes it's fucking trash lads, most of you been huffing glue. Shite stilted humour carried by a couple of alright performances.

*Fistbump
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    And there's a sequel, hurrah. So that's up next...

Is it this one?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2149360/
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It should be but it isn't.

Not sure it's really a sequel per se tbh, but I'll find out soon enough
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    It should be but it isn't.

Not sure it's really a sequel per se tbh, but I'll find out soon enough

It is and it isn't. Kinda references the first but is a 'new' thing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Intriguing
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Next Goal Wins

Innocent feel-good nonsense but inoffensive and fortunately did not outstay it’s welcome.
  • Swiss Army Man
    Surrealist dark comedy that is just about held together by the two leads. Dano in particular is vital to the whole thing not just spiralling into being a total mess. It requires his unique brand of uncomfortable weirdness.
  • The Creator
    Beautifully designed and realised bit of sci-fi that thinks it’s clever but isn’t. America plays the bad guy of the world, attempting genocide against AI/robots in the East. Gorgeous worldbuilding but it’s as dumb as Avatar and features some terribly overwrought performances.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Swiss Army Man
    Surrealist dark comedy that is just about held together by the two leads. Dano in particular is vital to the whole thing not just spiralling into being a total mess. It requires his unique brand of uncomfortable weirdness.

When the lights came up at the cinema for this we realised there was an old couple up the back. They asked my friends and I if we liked it and we said yes. The lady took a beat and said "yes, well, I don't think that was meant for us" with a smile. Good they say through the whole thing. I'm sure I'll feel the same about Gen-whatever filmmaking when I'm old.
  • Haha
    Excellent.

• 4. Sisu
    I know some people like this but I really, really didn't. I thought it was very poorly shot, looking like a bland straight to streaming glossy mess. I thought the action was, mostly, terribly staged and filmed and with too many sequences relying on "if the camera can't see it then it's not happening" stuff. Seriously, they're in a convoy, how do you not see stuff happening in the car in front. I don't understand why the Nazi's spoke English. Or why anyone really spoke at all, it never added anything worthwhile. And final nit-pick is that it starts by saying 'Sisu' can't be translated and then proceeds to translate it. I know they likely meant "directly translated into a single word" but still that was stupid. The mine sequence was good though.
    [3]

5. Living
    I connected very strongly with this film. Possibly partly due to my gran passing away recently but even apart from that it's a beautifully told version of a film story that you kind of know where it will go. The acting is brilliant, the score is stunning and it's just beautiful to look at. I hope the focus puller won some focus pulling awards.
    [9]
  • I will apparently never not be confused between Paul Dano and Paul Danan.
  • Can't hear the name Paul Danan without remembering a story I read about him turning on the Christmas lights somewhere (presumably because Jambo was busy). Apparently to warm the crowd up, which obviously contained plenty of kids, just before the big switch flip he opted for the low-hanging hype line "make some motherfuckin' NOOOISE!!".
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can't hear the name Paul Danan without remembering a story I read about him turning on the Christmas lights somewhere (presumably because Jambo was busy). Apparently to warm the crowd up, which obviously contained plenty of kids, just before the big switch flip he opted for the low-hanging hype line "make some motherfuckin' NOOOISE!!".

That was, of course, Preston. He was then sacked from the panto he was supposed to be doing.
  • Sacked from a panto is a low point for anyone.
  • Shouldn't have turned his back on jungle fighting.
  • Mmmm Danon
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
      5. Living I connected very strongly with this film. Possibly partly due to my gran passing away recently but even apart from that it's a beautifully told version of a film story that you kind of know where it will go. The acting is brilliant, the score is stunning and it's just beautiful to look at. I hope the focus puller won some focus pulling awards. [9]

A brilliant film. I watched the Japanese original (Kurosawa's Ikuru) and I may have preferred the remake. But I reckon it's more a cultural preference than the actual film. Nighy's brilliant performance is almost an impersonation of the Takashi Shimura performance and the film is a very accurate redux , apart from the longer funeral/wake sequence that the JP original has.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    The Marvels

Oh dear. Partially saved by cats.

Cats.
  • davyK wrote:
      5. Living I connected very strongly with this film. Possibly partly due to my gran passing away recently but even apart from that it's a beautifully told version of a film story that you kind of know where it will go. The acting is brilliant, the score is stunning and it's just beautiful to look at. I hope the focus puller won some focus pulling awards. [9]

A brilliant film. I watched the Japanese original (Kurosawa's Ikuru) and I may have preferred the remake. But I reckon it's more a cultural preference than the actual film. Nighy's brilliant performance is almost an impersonation of the Takashi Shimura performance and the film is a very accurate redux , apart from the longer funeral/wake sequence that the JP original has.

It reminded me that I really haven't watched much Kurosawa and I need to rectify that. Will probably watch the original later this year.
  • Haven’t watched much Kurosawa?! I don’t know you.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!