Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • I think Red Rooms has elements of it. Although spends most of the time away from the computer.

Both Host and Dashcam are in that wheelhouse too.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Missing wasn't quite as good as Searching, but still pretty enjoyable. Odd there haven't been more films of that ilk given it obviously works, but I'm sure the novelty would wear off. Still, if you haven't watched then, watch them.
    I thought you meant this one for a second, which is a great film.

But yeah, I have watched that new one as well, just completely forgot about it until I looked at IMDB.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hope it didn't take too much searching
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Saltburn

Koeghan
    is phenomenal, as expected, but so is the whole cast. Wonderfully dark comedic atmosphere until the last 20 minutes where it just rushes to a shitty conclusion. Exemplary up til that point.

It does feel a bit rushed at the end. But I loved the film.

I'd say I enjoyed it too but agree the ending was shitty, rushed and felt like oh, ok they are doing that are they? Still worth watching.

I'm with DS with regards the first seventeen or eighteen of the last twenty minutes, but then
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought it was great from start to finish. I guess it needed to wrap it up some way at the end and I didn't have a problem with that. Last scene was fantastic. (Spell his name right DS, it's Keoghan, pronounced KYOH-enn, for those monolingual types.)
  • Old Bazza Keys
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Saltburn Koeghan is phenomenal, as expected, but so is the whole cast. Wonderfully dark comedic atmosphere until the last 20 minutes where it just rushes to a shitty conclusion. Exemplary up til that point.
    I'd say I enjoyed it too but agree the ending was shitty, rushed and felt like oh, ok they are doing that are they? Still worth watching.
    I'm with DS with regards the first seventeen or eighteen of the last twenty minutes, but then
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I thought it was great from start to finish. I guess it needed to wrap it up some way at the end and I didn't have a problem with that. Last scene was fantastic. (Spell his name right DS, it's Keoghan, pronounced KYOH-enn, for those monolingual types.)

Mate when the Irish spell names correctly I will give the due. Niamh just boggled my mind for years. Come at me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gaelic isn't phonetic.  simples.

We have 32 words for field.

It's dependant on what the field is being used for apparantly.

https://www.manchan.com/32-words-for-field
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    Saltburn Koeghan is phenomenal, as expected, but so is the whole cast. Wonderfully dark comedic atmosphere until the last 20 minutes where it just rushes to a shitty conclusion. Exemplary up til that point.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I wouldn’t call his pipe horrific. No need to body shame Davy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    davyK wrote:

It's madness.. Dating the Irish ex I just called everyone she knew pal or mate. Much easier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:

It's madness.. Dating the Irish ex I just called everyone she knew Paddy or Mick. Much easier.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Actually, Irish is pretty much phonetic in that it follows fairly consistent pronunciation rules. It's English that is absolutely not phonetic and has very few consistently followed rules at all. Far easier to learn how to pronounce Irish words than English words.

• Talk to Me
    Entertaining enough teen horror.  There's a relatively original idea here, and it's all suitably of the moment.  Unfortunately it also has the standard horror movie problem of featuring characters who repeatedly make obviously bad decisions for barely believable reasons, which kind of undermines the whole thing.

The Platform

Spanish SciFi/Horror thing.  Residents in a prison are fed from a platform that drops level by level.  The quantity of food depletes as those on the highest levels consume it, leaving the lower levels to starve or resort to cannabilism.  As a metaphor it works well, even if it becomes slightly laboured - as a narrative, not so much, and it all slightly falls apart in the final section.  Still, it was pretty compelling whilst watching, even if it doesn't stand up to any scrutiny when you consider the plot afterwards.

Quiz Lady

Fluffy comedy about a woman who needs to win a quiz show in order to get the ransom money to save her dog. It's deeply silly - my wife thought it was hilarious, I was mildly amused. Most noteworthy thing about it is that the central double act of Sandra Oh and Awkwafina has them playing essentially against type, with Awkwafina taking the (relatively) straight role, and Sandra Oh clearly having a whale of a time as her largely useless sister.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Actually, Irish is pretty much phonetic in that it follows fairly consistent pronunciation rules. It's English that is absolutely not phonetic and has very few consistently followed rules at all. Far easier to learn how to pronounce Irish words than English words.

It's consistent, sure. But bejaysus you couldn't figure them out from English sounds for letters. :
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's because the English sounds are the fucked up ones.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • Charley Varrick

Not quite top-tier 70’s New Hollywood fare but still pretty damn good. Walter Matthau plays against type as a hard-nosed bank robber whose crew accidentally rob the wrong bank, one which was being used to launder mafia cash and subsequently have to deal with the fall out, with Matthau being the brains of the outfit. I could say things worked out a bit too neatly for Charley, given I was expecting the usual downer 70’s ending but it was a good ride. You can see where the Coen’s got No Country’s ‘relentless hired goon out to retrieve the money’ and ‘bad stuff going down in rural American shithole’ themes from. I should watch that again actually.

Anyway … 7/10. Pushing 8 in places.

EDIT: may not be classed as New Hollywood technically, that era though.
    EDIT EDIT: on the ‘1970’s casual sexism’ scale I’d score it a solid 3 arse slaps out of 5. Some lingering bottom shots, a needless whorehouse sequence & frequent macho tendencies.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Before the Devil Knows Your Dead Screwed up robbery tale told in a Reservoir Dogs / Rashomon style - with overlapping repeats of events from different perspectives. But those two films are nowhere near as heavy or intense as this. With Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke lending their full weight to proceedings.  There's great support too , not least of all from Albert Finney.

This is no caper film, and is harrowing, but it's excellent stuff.
  • Kow wrote:
    I thought it was great from start to finish. I guess it needed to wrap it up some way at the end and I didn't have a problem with that. Last scene was fantastic. (Spell his name right DS, its Keoghan, pronounced KYOH-enn, for those monolingual types.)
    Mate when the Irish spell names correctly I will give the due. Niamh just boggled my mind for years. Come at me.

I had a wry smile on my face recently listening over talkback to one of our more useless production managers repeatedly calling our Irish vision mixer “Neem” to her face.
    Always do yer homework fellas.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    When I first met her, and the ex had reminded me multiple times, I called her "Niam" about five times and she kindly went along with it. A few beers in, having a cig outside, she just said "its Neeve ya dickhead" and it was all sorted.

I do know a dude called Eoghan and I call him Ian deliberately. He's gonna snap one day.
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've never actually heard anyone say it. A quick Google says what the fuck?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Jack Reacher, because I keep getting a clip from it occasionally on my stupid Tik Tok For You feed. Hopefully now I can move on!

It was OK.
  • Don’t tell anyone, but I prefer the films to the TV series. And I think Cruise was a better Reacher.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    First is great… second I shouldn’t have gone back.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The first film was better than the TV series. Cruise had the world weariness of Reacher down. The 2nd was a bit too much of a caper and more like the TV series. It was all right. But the books aren't high art... They are great page turner yarns and maybe too much is expected off tv/film versions.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Loved the first Reacher.

The violence and lol fuck yo jaw stuff in the TV series works for me cos the geezer playing big jack is hench and he could probably crush a skull with a stare but with lil tom I just kept expecting the bad guys to hold the top of his head as his little arms swing at the wind
  • Agreed with the "world weariness" of Cruises Reacher fitting the character rather well but aside from that he wasn't a great choice. .the first film is ok but I much prefer the series and Alan Ritchson is brilliant
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!