PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Reach needs an 11/10

Definitely the best campaign and I'm not interested in any other opinion
  • 37. Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials - PS5 (9hrs?)

I reckon I'm fairly enthusiastic about most of the indies I play.  I might spend too long focusing on things that wind me up with certain titles but obviously if I play a game to the point where the credits rolls and it shows up in here, it means I've either hand picked it on one of my many digital store foraging expeditions, had it recommended to me personally or spotted random internet people gushing about it.  If I buy a game I want it to be good, believe it or not, and for my needs most of the games I play do the trick.  I had this one on my Switch watch list for ages, almost forgot about it as it threatened to drift out of conscious memory like a Tolkein ring, then had Muzzy text with a 'this looks like a bit of you' reminder.  Which I agreed with.  Within a few days it dropped to the magical half price point on PSN so I finally took the plunge.  I don't tend to go hugely off-piste with the types of games I play and a retro inspired pixel art 2D Metroidvania is well inside my safe zone.  Even if I'm not keen on a game I finish I usually still kinda like elements of it, because I'm fairly risk averse with my choices, and the chances are even if something barely scrapes a Moot [6] I'll still be glad I played it. I'm not glad I played this though, and I'm quietly fuming with myself for wasting a week on it.  I knew it was dodgy early on too.  I gave Below a [6], for example - a game that was well out of my comfort zone really - and there were elements of that I loathed.  It's still one of the most memorable videogames I've ever played though, so there can be plenty of value in a [6] on a personal level.  I'm not gonna give this a 6 though, so I've lost track of my own point here.   

Moving on to the next paragraph, I hate this game.  Everything about it is needlessly spiteful, even down to how high the character can jump.  Remember when I said TotK had the most annoying jump in a game?  Ha no, no-one reads these.  I did though, and I take it back.  This would be instantly improved by just giving the main character an extra few pixels of extra clearance on their maximum jump height - as it stands so many platforms are so precisely placed to be at the absolute apex of your leap that actually landing on them can feel like a success in itself, especially if you also consider the fact that plenty of them are only slightly wider than an average Barbarian.  Sometimes you'll need to fight and jump and juggle *spoiler alert* bat companion states with the shoulder buttons, while selecting which item to throw with the L1 button and the right stick.  Perhaps all while trying to complete an obstacle course with zero leeway for anything other than pixel perfect play because you've hit a switch to open a door that has such a miniscule window of opportunity it wouldn't be out of place as an unwinnable wind up in Will You Snail.  It's insane, considering that surely part of the original vision for that game included making it enjoyable to play. These things can be done, with practice, but it's so obstinately excruciating that I just can't see why the devs wanted to torture the players en route to almost every minor success.  One boss required such cumbersome mixture of techniques that I was convinced I'd settled on the wrong approach...until I found someone else complaining about it online.  Yep, the process really was as ridiculous and unintuitive as it seemed, and my only option was to keep at it, rub my tummy, pat my head, spin multiple plates and eventually catch a break.  Or bin it, which is what I should have done.

If I had to pinpoint my main problem with this I'd probably highlight the fact that always seems muddled on whether it's a puzzle game or a platformer, isn't particularly good at either and blends them together awkwardly.  The platforming is bad - way too much readjustment required in mid-air for a character that controls like a twitchy brick.  The retro leaning combat is worse - so willfully simple and basic it's hard to pinpoint exactly which era it's suppsedly harkening back to - even the original Rastan had a wider array of sword swipes.  There's no nuance to attacks, it's just hack hack hack in the hope that an enemy dies before it ambles into you.  The biggest blot on the copybook is from the puzzles though, as they're so pace breaking, tedious and long winded that wandering into a room filled with switches and portals injected my veins with the Dawson Do Not Want gif.  Mileage may vary on these of course, but by the halfway mark I'd had more than enough and that was the point where their frequency started to ramp up.  Taking a wild stab in the dark I'm going to do the following I reckon: someone on the dev team was sulking about not making a puzzle game and repeatedly crept back to office to add them in at night, unbeknownst to the their co-workers. 

In terms of Metroidvaniaing, it's one of the ones where you need to get the monocle out and look for connecting map segments rather than being given any sort of direction from in-game dialogue or waypoints.  Or feel for the environment really - you just aimlessly wander until defeating a boss necessitates wandering somewhere else. 

TLDR it felt like a glossed up homebrew effort from many years ago to me - picture the most impressive Net Yaroze game spruced up to modern retro inspired standards with extra pixels, more rooms and some nifty light sourcing.  Knowing that I was locked in due to my own I've started so I'll finish weirdness probably raised the hatred levels a few notches in fairness, but I'll stand by the fact that this is a poor game.  So it has to be a [4] for me then.  I can't imagine playing this without most of the assists on, and thanks to Muzzy's charitable betman side soon enough I won't have to. [Evil laugh/good luck].

I could spend another paragraph listing a few things I liked - such as the robust and welcome assist features - but I'm not going to bother.  If they'd made a more balanced and enjoyable game the assist features wouldn't represent such a relief anyway. The scarcity of healing items would've almost definitely done my head in if I'd played on default settings. I'm not convinced the XP/levelling system is a worthwhile addition either, and the spinning wheel that added a random element to the three upgrade categories was just annoying. I'll stop now, but I could genuinely bitch about this game for days.

frederic-tarabout-eye1-optimize.gif?1578342529
  • 38. Blue Hawk - Arcade (30mins)

I knew nothing about this, was just a random ROM I selected from the Vertical Arcade list on my RG353M on the way back from Leysdown.  Apparently it was released in 1993 by a Korean company called Dooyong, and the Wiki page looks like it's about to be taken down for reasons.  

I coin fed my way through the 8 (iirc) stages and it was fine.  It's what I'd want from an arcade vertical shooter I was dropping 20p's into, tbh - pretty enough with some okay tunes, not bullet hellish and doesn't require 15hrs of ingrained muscle memory to get to stage 4.  In a nutshell: shoot and dodge while trying not to lose your power ups, fall back on a finite supply of rescue specials when you've painted yourself in a corner.  It's satisfying to gun stuff down and the big bosses go bang, plus it has a simultaneous two player mode.  [3 out of 6]  

15908300-blue-hawk-arcade-stage-1.png
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still quite enjoying Batbarian FTR
  • Good write ups, Moot.
  • Thank you :)

39. Mundaun - PS5 (roughly 6hrs)

Without question the best horror game I've played.  I loved The Excavation of Hob's Barrow for the atmospheric slow build, tone and style, but this pulls off the trickiest of tricks with aplomb - it manages to be genuinely chilling in places.  The events reminded me of John Langham's The Fisherman at times - a novel I expected to love but struggled to enjoy.  I mean that as high praise, because it succeeds where that book failed for me - I was transfixed for the majority of the events here, whereas The Fisherman had the right folk horror ingredients but executed its vision poorly.  It's best not to go into details as going into Mundaun cold is of course preferable to getting any sort of heads up, but I will say that the way the game commits to its otherworldly elements early on is masterful.  There's a drip feed of course, but the tale goes beyond eerie in its opening beats and balances the psychological horror, intrigue and tension perfectly throughout.

Visually the pencil-sketch style is wonderful.  The way things subtly shift and distort, the way reality blends with the supernatural, the woozy zoom when focusing on pertinent happenings, even the way the grass bends in the wind with a purposefully unsettling animation is magnificent.  The strong score is suitably foreboding too, and judiciously draped over proceedings at all the right moments.  I was hugely impressed with the whole thing, and discovering that it was mostly the work of one person added another level of admiration.  Most importantly it's not just artifice either - the dark central tale holding everything together is excellent.

In spite of a clumsy inventory system, occasionally finicky button prompts and slightly clunky enemy encounters (that can still be spine-tinglingly tense, thankfully), this manages to be a top tier effort and possibly the best 'walking sim' hybrid this side of Finch. I've been thinking [8] due to these rough edges running through it, but now that the dust has settled I'm in an appreciative [9] mood instead.  There are too few horror videogames that are crafted even remotely as skillfully as this.  The aforementioned Hob's Barrrow hit its intended sweet spot for me.  A Taiwanese effort called Detention was laborious to play but glorious in the telling.  I'm sure there are others, but for actual unnerving chills this is the goat.  A remarkable achievement and genuinely something I'd be confident recommending to non-gamers as an example of 'we can do art too!'.

Oh, and the achievements/trophies have terrific names.

1*oZpH5-c38znE9HtbpGtPpA.gif

It also elicited my biggest laugh in gaming for many years, albeit unintentionally.  Not quite a ruinous spoiler but just in case:
    Spoiler:
  • 8.Halo 4 - 8 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

I know nobody agrees with me…but this game is just the best in the series. I mean I might play 5 or infinite and change my mind but I doubt it.

It looks incredible. Like not just how did they manage this on the 360 incredible but even to today’s standards it’s so clean and absofuckingloutely stunning. The lighting is just to die for and with the Hue system the lighting is just out of this world. The sound work is terrific. And they made it so different and future sci-fi in such a sharper way than traditional Halo but it’s still so Halo and awesome. The mix of weapons is unsurprisingly the best, and some of the Promethean weaponry is awesome, some awful but I only ever like using UNSC stuff anyway. The Promethean’s as enemies aren’t the best but I don’t quite understand the hatred for them.

The Didact, to me he is a great big bad and whilst he’s part of why it’s such a great package to me, he and the story are entirely what are wrong with the game for everyone else and I entirely understand that and to this day don’t understand what 343 were thinking in just hoping fans knew the expanded universe to go straight off in such a direction. Cannot believe nobody stopper them. Perfect for me though and he brought everything forerunner to life for me.

The biggest thing though is the gameplay. Just so, so smooth. Brings everything together in the best form of any of them, so far, and after just starting 5 that’s still the case. Just such a joy to play. Feels so fluid and has everything I could want from my Halo. I absolutely love H4 and for me it’s just the best Halo there is.

Absofuckingloutely awesome. You’ve got the Infinity in it, the Spartan IV’s, mad Cortana, the best Mjolnir armour MK VI, Rick Flair whew! Wish they hadn’t fit everything in that story direction in one game as it threw it all on you then ended it all in the same short campaign. Weird, weird perfect game. Weird, weird perfect short shit review.

10/10

QuvNLW.gif
  • Oh dear.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s TRUE and it’s all YOU PEOPLE that are mad not ME!
  • 40. Berserk Boy - Switch (4-5hrs)

I hate it when games you thought were made for you don't stick the landing.  I've had Batbarian recently, plus Tiny Thor and Gunbrella last year.  Going back further I was disappointed with Spectacular Sparky and I've got to finally admit that Grapple Dog is quite laborious once you get going due to the stages and the game itself being far too long, ergo I may have finally binned it off after three attempts.  There's always something extra annoying about not clicking with something I expect to love.  I don't mind bouncing off an shmup or the latest must-have roguelike as they're not always my jam, but a MegaMan inspired linear 2D platformer that screams GBA and received plenty of plaudits in reviews? That's supposed to be a bit of me right there.

I just couldn't feel the love for this one, much as I tried.  Playing Gravity Circuit and Mighty Gunvolt Luminous Avenger iX recently probably didn't help its cause, as they're both far superior imo, but I think fundamentally this just isn't anywhere near as good as the positive reviews suggest.  The graphics certainly didn't help as I turned my nose up at the visual style immediately.  Without beating around the bush, I hated the look of pretty much everything in this game, from the sprites to the backgrounds to the artwork for the talking heads to the ghastly cheap looking font they chose for all dialogue exchanges.  Admittedly it did look a little more appealing in docked mode, but the whole aesthetic flirts with being hideous for me.  To make things worse it has a bad case of the dreaded 'attitude dude' coursing through through its veins, a hereditary affliction handed down from early 90s platformers.  Choose your poison when it comes to videogamecringe - goblins, leather clad buxom anime girls, super army soldiers - the blue haired gnarly wisecrack mascotman shtick is a killer for me (in non-Sonic games ofc).  The stock for that sort of thing has plummeted since the 16-bit era, and rightly so.  

I tend to like 2D games where you have to time your inputs to remain airbourne - the high/low bounce on the Godly DKC: Tropical Freeze, for example - and the air dash tag in this is satisfying, it's just ruined by the general level design and all the character swapping.  Manually changing forms to approach certain obstacles is a bit of a bugbear of mine as the extra layer of thinking often ruins the flow state of games for me, and some of the layout design here is just silly.  You'll often reach a part of the level that requires the use of a certain character to progress - annoying, but that's how plenty of games roll - then you'll get supposedly character specific obstacle courses that are rendered totally redundant by the fact that roughly two thirds through the game you unlock a character that can literally fly.  Odd design; it's like the devs occasionally forgot what abilities you have for the back half of the game - why ninja hang on suspended beams that scroll through a stage when you can just bypass the annoying bits by flying through them?

Music is by the annoyingly named Tee Lopes, of TMNT: Shredder's Revenge/Sonic Mania fame, but they mostly feel like offcuts from the Turtles sessions tbh.  Not bad, but certainly not something he's put an outrageous amount of effort into imo.  Restart points are annoying, insta-death traps are everywhere and there are numerous instances of spikes being placed directly underneath your drop-in point on a screen, which can result in being whisked to a restart point 7 or 8 screens back, all thanks to falling foul of a cheaply placed trap.  Even things as simple as respawning platforms feels cheap a lot of the time - there's one that shoots off on a prescribed path through the stage that you have to tap your foot (with attitude!) and wait for for about 30 seconds if you miss it, and I missed the fucking thing twice.  

Anything else?  Yes, the wall jump is shit (pulling away from the wall makes him jump, which feels wrong).  I didn't like this much at all on the whole, so annoyingly it's a [5] for me.  Check some reviews if you're interested - you don't have to look too far to find people saying nice things about it, so perhaps I'm just being a grump.  If you want a MegaMan clone I'd recommend Gravity Circuit ahead of this all day long, and if the super GBA thing appeals Flynn: Son of Crimson is immeasurably more accomplished.  Disappointing.  As a speedrunner I can see how it might work but there's no way I'd ever be bothered to git gud.

BerserkBoy_SteamGIF01.gif?t=1712758373
  • 41. Have a Nice Death - PS5 (10hrs 28mins)

I'm determined not to let the games in last month's sales splurge infiltrate my already slightly annoying Pile of Shame, so I've been rattling through the newest additions recently.  I play a lot of games, but I wouldn't say I play games A LOT compared to some of the big hitters on here.  I get between 1 & 2hrs a day on average, so two episodes of whatever bullshit superhero series everyone else sinks their time into to unwind.  Joking obvs, I'm sure they're well good really (insert sarcasm klaxon).  Recently though, I've been playing a lot of games a lot of the time.  Case in point: I was off sick yesterday and managed to put 5hrs(!) into this.

There was a demo, so I should have tried that really, but it looked good in the trailers and reviews were solid so I gambled.  Successfully, it turns out - it's a cracking combat rogue and manages to avoid the irritations that can add bleed damage to otherwise terrific games (ScourgeBringer has the best wave-based arena battling around but the structure & extreme unabating difficulty takes its toll eventually, Flinthook has numerous issues including uneven challenge an occasionally wayward hookshot, although both are still in the extended family of genre royalty for me).  In the correct thread I recently said that I prefer my rogues to focus on screen to screen 'git gud' gameplay over a war of 'git lucky' attrition against the peaks and troughs to RNG; learning by honing skills through pre-edit montage footage rather than waiting on fortuitous drops and perma-unlocks (paraphrasing).  Then I stuck a few hours into OTXO, which is close to what I claimed I wanted, and realised that on second thoughts hold on, I do need the leg up assistance many of these games offer when you're dunped back to square one.  I certainly like to improve my chances the longer I play, and not just through muscle memory mastery.
    I also love a build where I'm ridiculously OP.   Ergo ignore me from a few weeks ago. Ergo ergo as you were then - I don't know how to describe exactly what I want but when I'm playing it I know what I like.  And I very much like all the systems in play here.  There's plenty of the dreaded RANDOM in the mix of course, but I felt like I was capable of influencing that side of things more than usual, plus there's a progression system running through it that gives you a few shots in the arm at the start of a run if you've earned it with XP.  It all works rather nicely.

To sum it up quickly this is a swish combat centric 2D action platformer with multiple routes, numerous double phase bosses (which can't be cheesed until you learn the ropes), a very stylish look/art style, decent music, a non-annoying sense of humour and an extremely moreish die/retry loop.  A successful run will take you in the region of 45 minutes (game clock time - it felt like an hour in real time as it pauses in shops/between floors etc).  There's a lot to take in with all the menu systems, red/green/blue/scythes/cloaks/spells etc but I felt that it teaches it all very well, and I'm often slow on the update with numberwang stuff.  

In terms of overall quality and essential 'we go again' addiction it's only just short of Rogue Legacy 2 once you get a feel for it, which is super high praise.  [8], because it's not quite in the S-tier with Dead Cells/Hades or RL2, but that's probably the harshest score I've given anything for a year or two.  Top of the A-tier, in another era it'd win the league etc. I can't even think of anything about it that annoyed me - a few things could be improved of course, but it's mostly very good indeed. Three cheers for the inclusion of an easier mode too - it's the most well handled scrub mode outside of Hades for this sort of thing, and meant I could enjoy the game 'properly' in half the overall time. Which means more time to play other games :rollsafe:

As an aside, I appear to be successfully weaning myself off the Switch as my 'main' console (like how VS fightman types have MAIN characters) as I'm making more of an effort enjoy a spot of TV time.  The wife watches the majority of her weird morbid true crime stuff on her phone anyway, so why not use the telly rather than both of us sitting on the same sofa ignoring each other while looking at tiny screens?

f92571e4906914e4f8da439fd1f20af307c15474.gif
  • 42. OTXO - Switch (10+hrs)

Stylish roguelike with a superb screen to screen gameplay loop that significantly hobbles itself with an irritating structure.  The Hotline Miami vibes are unmistakable - a massive debt is owed to one of the modern GOATs.  The blood splattered thumping electro choon room clearance core here is a worthy homage (bullet time is added, one-hit-kills are mostly removed), it's just a shame that the rogue element constantly harshens the buzz.  The essential sensation of gradually breaking the back of the game was virtually non-existent for me.  I'm aware that all rogues lead to ScourgeBringer for me, but I have to mention it - this beat me down even more than that game did but due to the lack of accessibility options I couldn't face seeing it through (unlike SB, which I did eventually crack with some assists on after 15-20hrs or so).  So yes, it's a lesser-spotted 52 Games DNF from me, and I give absolutely no fucks because I need a place to praise it and vent.

Opinions will differ on this but imo if a roguelike takes over 45 minutes to finish from start to finish then concessions need to be added to keep the player hungry for more by taking the edge off the repetition.  Some offer area skips, most gradually sneak perma-perks into your utility belt for repeated runs (more healing potions from the get go, starting with levelled up weapons, etc).  In OTXO the boosts are provided by performance enhancing tonics that are offered randomly every three stages. The first one is on the house but the rest cost cash, which is earned from kills and combo kills.  Alternatively, you can pay a premium to research and eventually unlock additional tonics (say 1300 coins, which is fucking pricey, for a tonic that increases your movement speed).  Anything paid into research stays banked between runs, mercifully, but it still tends to be a run ruiner if you want to invest as doing so means you probably won't be able to afford any tonics to assist your current attempt.  Plus anything you unlock is just added to the pool of existing tonics, meaning that you'll likely not see it again for an hour or more as the bartender only offers three per visit.  So if you've unlocked 12, good luck being offered that speed boost again any time soon, which means it feels a bit like swallowing a spider to catch a fly, plus crap ones dilute the pool.  As an additional kicker, all currency is lost upon death.  Did anyone follow all that?  Probably not.  The TLDR is: perma unlocks help less than they do in any similar game I can think of, and the boosts are far too luck dependent.  Couple this with the fact that the game is quite miserly with its currency even once you get good enough to keep combos going and it all starts to feel a bit much when you've died for the umpteenth time 30 minutes into a run.  Square one is much more deflating here than it should be, and dusting myself off to go again eventually became too much of a chore.  There are weird bonus screens that might randomly appear between stages, containing gatcha machines which may or may not contain a useful item, but they're so random they often appeared before I'd amassed the 250 coins necessary to buy the prize.  When you speak to the chap who deals with these unlocks there are so many mystery items that you'd probably have to play for 60hrs to unlock them all.  Which is a hard no for me, especially as most of them appear to be purely cosmetic keepsakes. 

It's a shame, because the gameplay is borderline magnificent at times.  If I had to grumble at the gunplay I'd highlight the fact that there seems to be a massive disparity between useful guns and shite ones - automatic weapons good, rifles & pistols bad, at least with analogue sticks - and I suppose that's an eye-opener in itself because it's hard to trust the balance of the whole shebang if the fundamentals are off.  Srsly, the rifles are shocking for busy screens as you'll get swarmed by enemies that can decimate you in the time it takes to miss once and reload.  I couldn't understand the inclusion of grenades or kunai either, as picking up a one shot weapon that leaves you empty handed just felt like hitting the suicide button.  Still, it lets you turn off most of the weapons you don't want, so I just binned rifles and avoided picking up shotguns for non-boss rooms.  

I don't like to feel locked in by games unnecessarily because I've always got half an eye on playing something else, even if I love what I'm playing.  With accessibility options this would've hit the [8] zone no problem, but as it stands it the shonky rogue elements hit it with a sizeable facepalm even when it's in full swagger mode.  Maybe I'm crap at it and I should have finished it by now, but I only saw the 4th area once and I've had enough.  For what I put in I feel like this should have given me more in return.  While I'm on my soapbox, the bosses are crap and the enemy traits that get added the further you progress felt like difficulty scalers gone awry - it's tough enough without making their reactions superhuman.  Also having the roll assigned to the B button never felt quite right but I couldn't get used to it after I remapped it to L.  Ergo :shrug emoji:  

A heavy hearted, miserly [6] in the end then, which is low for a £10 game I can still see when I shut my eyes.  If they ever patch this and add some much needed QOL concessions it still has the potential to be marvellous.  I could stop typing this and happily play it right now, but I've deleted it to remove temptation.  As soon as I spotted this on a 2023 GotY list I knew I had to have it, unfortunately after a hugely promising start it was a swing & a miss for me on the whole.  I don't regret playing it in the slightest though.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

OXTO_Steam_Next_Fest_Store_GIF_1_v2.gif?t=1711622350
  • 9.Halo 5 - 8 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox Series X

I mean, it’s not the worst game ever. And had it been called ‘Space Robots a tale of AI Madness’ it might have been better received.

It looks stunning, the environments are pretty awesome really, it’s quick and fluid. But…I just don’t ever like being anyone but Chief, the story is all over the place and just wasn’t the right direction or it could’ve been if told better I’m not sure, for some odd reason the enemies don’t feel right, not just because they don’t seem to fit within the story but they feel floaty and like they have no character. And the aiming is just so weird. Feels really floaty and imprecise which sets everything off wrong from the very beginning. Every Halo so far felt pretty much the exact same moving from one to the next but this felt like a different beast entirely. Just off.

All in all it’s really not a terrible game at all, it’s just nowhere near good enough to have the name.

6/10

fWQ2uq.gif
  • Didn't play that one because what I played of 4 was so rubbish.

*runs away*
  • I DON'T EVEN LIKE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN RUN, CHIEF
  • I'll give this a go, in an attempt to complete more than one game each decade. Currently playing Hades.

Oops lol.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • 43. Ninja Gaiden - Master System (1hr)

I had this, and I liked the look of it so much I bought it after I got my MD in '92 - off the top of my head that was the only time I went back to 8 bits after my tardy gen jump.  It has faults, chiefly the bats and birds (which are basically homing pigeons designed to test your patience - they don't have set flight patterns, they just come straight for you), plus maybe one of two overly annoying bosses.  On the whole this is peak 8-bit side scrolling ninja goodness though, and I'd have it higher up my list than Shadow of the Ninja (NES) and the MS port of Shinobi.  It looks better than the vast majority of Master System games, sounds decent, mostly plays very well and doesn't short change you by ending after a handful of stages (there are 8, which is plenty).  Time has taken some of the shine off of course but it remains one of the most complete action platformers on the first console I ever owned.  Impressive stuff.  90%

r8yghvkbixcy.gif

44. Captain Silver - Master System (30mins)

Early MS swords & pirates standard that passed me by.  Never owned it never borrowed it never played it.  Big sprites and less sprite flicker than expected can't quite mask the fact that this is incredibly simplistic and bizarrely easy*.  I came away quite liking it tbf, but it's very much of its time and I'd suggest that by 1987 (PAL release in '88, apparently) it was a smidge out of step already - we're talking about a post-Monsterland world, after all.  Music is amusing - I think I counted three distinct tunes - but the quality is low so you'll be [taps borked mic] shivering at the timbre in no time.  The basicness reminded me of Alex Kidd & The Lost Stars, which was slated by all and sundry at the time.  I borrowed that when I got my MS in 1990 and liked it, so I dare say I would've been a big fan of this too because PIRATES and SWORDS.  It's high time we had a remake, if only because afaik the subtitle 'Rebooty' is still up for grabs. 71%

*I suppose 'bizarrely' is unfair here - of course a one hit kills game is a cinch with save states if you use them to avoid getting hit.  Even so it did feel more of a breeze than most arcade ports of the era.

iz3fVUs.gif

Edit: Apparently the PAL release adds two stages and extra bosses - looks like I played the JPN one.  Add 5% to the 71 if you so wish, but pls be aware that this is intended as a rough 'wot I might've thought at the time' score - if this dropped on the EShop as a nu retro experience it would barely scrape a [1].
  • Shivering at the timbre deserves recognition here.
  • 45. Jitsu Squad - PS4 (2.5hrs)

Reasonably well received modern belt scroller that can't hold a candle to Streets of Rage 4 but doesn't necessarily need to imo.  It certainly adds to the feeling that the genre has been successfully resuscitated in recent years.  Just quickly, for a genre once considered beyond the brink of death, in the past 10 years we've had SOR4, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, Wulverbalde, Fight 'N Rage, Mutant Mayhem (which has a sequel on the way), Mother Russia Bleeds, the Slaps & Beans oddities, at least two Asterix efforts, Coffee Crisis, Battletoads, Final Vendetta, River City Girls 1&2 (and further spin-offs/River City releases), The Takeover, Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors, Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons, 99 Vidas, Super Punch Patrol, Viking Squad, Dawn of the Monsters, Streets of Red, Way of the Passive Fist, Raging Justice, Paprium, Double Dragon IV and other faux 8-bit efforts, plus more I'm either forgetting or haven't heard of (and that's without mentioning the 3D visuals/2D gameplay efforts like 9 Monkeys of Shaolin and Young Souls).  Toxic Crusaders is also coming in hot.  Right - your two minutes on genuine golden age belt scrollers starts now. *BUZZER*.  Could you name 30?  Castle Crashers and to a lesser extent Scott Pilgrim Saves the World/Dagon's Crown get an assist, but the majority of the resurrection thanks should go to SOR4 really.  It's a stealth boom and I'm loving it; next time I raise a glass I'll raise it to the humble belt scroller's second wind of rude health. 

This is a good one.  I thought it looked borderline horrific from screenshots but there's plenty of appreciation for it online if you look in the right places (i.e. feedback from people who play and enjoy games like this, rather than people who treat themselves to one per decade or prefer to turn their nose up at TEH OLD FASHIONEDS while playing whatever it is they like).  It turns out it's actually quite a looker, albeit in a style that might be off-putting to some.  8 levels of exquisitely repetitive brawling, 4 playable characters, an XP system for unlocking moves along the way (not my usual preference) and tunes that occasionally have lyrics sung by the bloke wot did the ghastly metal tracks on some modern Sonics.  If you're in the minority of people who might find that fun it's a mid level [7] for sure, with a point shaved off if you have to pay the full £25 (I nabbed mine for £14.99 on Amazon).  

It's not perfect.  Helper specials felt particularly off as they're just dropped in specific positions - screen clearance moves feel a bit pointless if there's no much leeway to time when you use them.  Grabbing and throwing isn't as meaty as I'd like for crowd control but there's plenty of scope for juggles and combos.  The increasing reply damage on parry moves is a nice touch though (you can build up extra attack power by successfully parrying without taking a hit).  All complaints here are quite minor; it's plenty of fun regardless and would probably go in the upper-mid tier for modern examples of the genre.  

There is one big problem though, and it's ridiculous: there's no drop-in co-op and only one save slot.  So if you start a game solo you have to restart to add more players, and if you start a game in mp you have to wipe your save to play solo.  Great work, numpties.  There is an 'unlock everything' option in the menus, which I assumed would be what I needed to enjoy co-op with Tilly but it doesn't unlock all the stages so you're still locked into the whole one playthrough at a time thing.  Madness.  

JazzFury.gif?t=1670606330

46. Tenchi Wo Kuau (Dynasty Wars) - Arcade (40mins)

I cant belt up about belt scrollers and it might be my specialist subject now. I often flick through this superb book about them and it's probably the only genre I'm always up for playing, hence half the glorious guff I review in this thread looking at least vaguely similar to the screenshot below.  

This is the absolute definition of 'serviceable' for a scrolling beat 'em up, albeit with the curio curveball of mounted horseback gameplay.  The whole thing plays a bit like a one-shot bonus stage stretched out over a full game.  One button attacks to the left of the screen, one attacks to the right, a third is basically the Golden Axe magic button (or SOR squad car, depending on your preference of touchpoint).  You can also charge an attack by holding a button down, which is useful-ish (and makes the character art at the bottom of the screen grimace with concentration the more you charge, which is a nice touch).  The sequel to this is called Warriors of Fate, and unless you're deep mining the genre I'd suggest ignoring this in favour of that (or perhaps playing neither if you're fussy).  It's worth mentioning that the final boss in this is such a bigbadass he's mounted on two horses at once, which got the chef's kiss from me.  I enjoyed myself tbf, but I can't go higher than a [2.5 out of 6] for the sake of consistency.  Not great, passed the time nicely.

Dynasty%20Wars%20(Arcade).jpg
  • Links to full list of 2022 and 2023 games - here.

1. Games 1-3 (Marvel Midnight Suns, Overboard!, Lunistice)
    2. Games 4-7 (Kine, Recursed, Alan Wake 2, Mario Golf: World Tour)
    3. Games 8-16 (Weird West, Torchlight 2, Supermarket Shriek, Total War: Warhammer 2, Balatro, Helldivers 2, SCP-D38813, Under the Castle, Home Safety Hotline)
    4. Games 17-20 (Solium Infernum, Like a Dragon Gaiden, Skew, Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth)
    5. Games 21-25 (Prodigal, Final Fantasy XIII, Diablo 4, Inventory Hero, JAILBREAKER)

26. Against Great Darkness
    fba4cUl.jpeg

A bullet hell roguelike brick-breaking game...this is a fun time. 

Runs are quick and arcade-y and there's a decent amount of content despite being in Early Access. There's less emphasis on pathing, compared to other roguelikes - and choosing power-ups is quick, meaning you're only ever seconds away from another wave on enemies.

The USP of the game is the Disc system - every few seconds your character throws out a disc which bounces around the arena (Breakout style) and you get bonuses for paddling it back into the fray. It places an emphasis on reactions and plate spinning, over button inputs. 

It's not perfect (unfortunately the non-boss areas aren't really bullet hell-y enough, imo) but it's a strong start, and I'm keen to see how it develops. [6]

27. Right & Down
    ptr09G9.jpeg

I can't make my mind up on this. It's a cool concept (a tile-based roguelike where you can go Right or you can go Down) and it's surprisingly deep, but it's also kinda grindy and repetitive and unbalanced and for every 1 minute that I enjoyed myself, there were 3 minutes when I just couldn't care less. At least it was very cheap. [5]

28. Shatter (Dread X Collection)
    4htnCvB.jpeg

I'm currently working my way through the Dread X Collections - compendiums of short 15 to 45 minutes horror experiments - and this one was the first game I finished from the lot. 

A cyber-body-horror set in a post apocalyptic Britain this, like many small experimental games of its ilk, isn't the most interesting to play (there's a lot of slightly too slow walking) but the vibes and story are absolutely immaculate. It's a slow burn, despite its truncated length, and it just about pays off with a genuinely unsettling switcheroo in the back third. [7]

29. No Players Online
    fa05jzS.jpeg

I adore this. An absolutely brilliant little horror set on the empty servers of a "dead" 90s multiplayer game. Surprisingly replayable (and free!), this is now being turned into a Full Fat Actual Game and I couldn't be more excited. [9]

30. The Pony Factory (Dread X Collection)
    SECWwUc.jpeg

Another Dread X collection game, this is a clear love letter to the original Doom 3's flashlight mechanic. A black and white horror played in small levels and, if the light is off, absolute pitch darkness. Muzzle flashes illuminate the rooms, and reveal horrors, enemies hit hard, and it's all about survival and escape. 

A tight concept, well executed. No surprise when it comes from David Szymanski. But...it's just less me jam in general and it didn't hold my attention as well as some of the other titles in the collection. [6]

31. Sea of Thieves
    LEIg3lw.jpeg
    Brilliant solo, brilliant with others, this is one of the few games I really felt I was missing out on by not having an Xbox anymore, and it turns out...I was right to feel that way.

It's gorgeous. It has the most incredible water ever seen in a game. It's funny, chaotic, tense, chill. It's....honestly...minecraft for adults. Not in terms of the gameplay loop, but in terms of player-set objectives. Progression is almost purely horizontal (beyond raising reputation ranks) and the true joy is in simply picking a journey and seeing where you end up. 

Wqe4YFA.jpeg

Diving into the sea to explore a sunken wreck, playing a sea shanty, getting into a long distance fight, running from a galleon, entering hidden shrines...all these things are, well, pointless in terms of the expected, modern RPG-lite systems that infect so many other games. Why do these things? 

Because it is, essentially, a pirate fancy dress simulator and it's a fucking brilliant one at that. LARPing without having to get dressed yourself. [9]

32. Life Eater
    UmVvFqG.jpeg

I really wanted to like this a bit more than I actually ended up doing. The latest game for Strange Scaffold (devs of the excellent El Paso, Elsewhere among others), this game is really, really, really interesting.

A genuinely creepy stalking simulator, you play a kidnapper and murderer who must stalk potential victims and learn about their lives and routines so that they can be sacrificed to a god and delay the end of the world. Conceptually, it's fantastic, and the voice acting, UI, music...it's all on point and helps create one of the most unusual feelings I've had as a player character since, probably, Manhunt. 

But...the game shows its hand  hand early re. gameplay loop and the expected deepening of mechanics and options never really comes. There's a few more plates to spin, sure, and some stricter time management but for the most part the experience of capturing victim 4 is the same as victim 1 and it's only really the story and atmosphere that kept me in the game by the end. 

A disappointment then, but an incredibly interesting one. [7]

33. Hades 2
    I'm gonna spoiler this as it just came out. I don't really think I spoiler much (though I do show 2 bosses in the pics), but it seems rude to just drop stuff about it in here without a little bit of a heads up.
    Spoiler:
    [10]

34. Felvidek
    One of the most interesting games I have played all year - this scratches a very similar itch to the delectable Pentiment.

Qf7kc2l.jpeg

Felvidek is a JRPG without any levelling. It's a JRPG where the main character is a drunkard knight. It's a JRPG set in 15th century Slovakia..., an alternate history that intertwines the Catholics, Hussites and Ottomans of the time with occult goings on and...well, lots of strange and bizzare happenings.

gPUGehc.gif

It's short too. Combat is tricky and puzzle like - forcing you to understand what your skills do. But combat is also rare. Overall, the game runs that line between old style RPG and point and click. A 4-5 hour adventure at most, I laughed a fair bit and was absolutely into everything that this game did. [9]

Next / The To-Play List:
    Growing my Grandpa
    Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
    The Forest Quartet
    Spare Parts: Episode 1 & 2
    NUTS
    Super is Hot
    Neurocracy
    Evolution
    Slasher U
    Cannelé & Nomnom - Defective Agency
    Scanner Sombre
    Vomitoreum
    Moonring
    Omen Exito: Plague
    Marco & The Galaxy Dragon
    Inquisitor
    Save me Mr Tako: Definitive Edition
    Smushi Come Home
    Sticky Business
    Railbound
    A Procession to Calvary
    The House in Fata Morgana (still going with this one...)
    Psychonauts 2
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
    Remnant 2
    Final Fantasy VI Advance
    Chrono Cross
    Dragon's Dogma 2
    Steins;Gate
    Phoenotopia
    Rabi-Ribi
    Batbarian
    Minoria
    Astalon: Tears of the Earth
    Pseudoregalia
    Mars After Midnight
    Forspoken
    Dread X Collection 1, 3 and 5
    20 Small Mazes

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!