52 Games... 1 Year... 2024 Edition
‹ Previous123456789
  • Verecocha wrote:
    YpyoWg.jpg

ANOTHER EDITION OF 52 GAMES ONE YEAR CHALLENGE!!

Let’s go again!’

Welcome to the 2024 thread for badgers that fancy trying to play 52 games in a year to whatever they decide is some form of completion. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - either claim a post and update on your progress or keep posting your completions and then do a final count post at the end of the year! Even if you're not gonna make it to 52 and you’ve made efforts before and got nowhere near, it's a good way to record all your completions/failures/hates and give others your impressions or maybe get some info from them on said game!!

UNwSoX.jpg

So simple usual stuff!!

How do I take part?

Claim a post! Write down the game and your thoughts about each one in this format for your post:

1: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
    # INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

How do I know when I've completed a game?

Up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it no ending or a multiplayer game. Replays count as long as all the games are completed in 2024.

Do I have to record time?

No. But you can if you like!! If so you could potentially see how long you’ve spent on games this year and then wonder how you got away with it!

Do I have to review or comment on the games I complete?

No but it'd be nice to give a few words or maybe a quick score. Full blown reviews or mini-reviews aren't necessary and will just make it an incredibly big post,though they will be anyway.

Do episodic games count as a single game or X amount of games?

That's up to you. It's alright to count something like Life is Strange as one or five games. Your choice.

Can I finish a game I started in 1992 and count that?

Yes.

What should I do once I've completed the challenge?

Shoot me a PM! If it takes off and people keep me updated I'm more than happy to FINALLY sort out a prize system?

Is there a deadline?

End of the current year!!!!

People who have completed the challenge will be posted here, please send me a PM once you’re done or if I’ve missed you as it’s hard reading through them all as they end up being recorded everywhere!!

Dt87wl.jpg

Winners and in what year:
    Cinty in 2022 (66), 2023 (82)
    ERE in 2023 (57)
    JonB in 2017 (54), 2021 (64), 2022 (59), 2023 (56)
    Moot in 2017 (75), 2018 (78), 2019 (86), 2020 (135), 2021 (153), 2022 (201), 2023 (195)
    Muzzy in 2017 (59), 2018 (52) 
    Retro in 2020 (61)
    Stoph in 2017 (53), 2018 (72)
    Wario in 2018 (52), 2020 (60), 2021 (54), 2022 (53), 2023 (52)

Others results in past Years:
    Andy: 2018 (12)
    Birdorf: 2018 (7)
    b0r1s: 2020 (17), 2021 (13), 2023 (17)
    Cinty: 2022 (66), 2023 (82)
    Dante: 2017 (15), 2018 (17)
    digi: 2017 (40), 2018 (13), 2019 (17), 2021 (6)
    ERE: 2023 (57)
    Frosty: 2019 (26)
    Gremill: 2017 (21), 2018 (20)
    Hylian Elf: 2017 (25), 2018 (14), 2019 (12), 2020 (19), 2021 (10), 2022 (7), 2023 (16)
    JonB: 2017 (54), 2018 (30), 2019 (41), 2020 (36), 2021 (64), 2022 (59), 2023 (56)
    MattyJ: 2017 (11)
    Mistercrayon: 2017 (12)
    Monkey: 2017 (4), 2018 (7), 2019 (51), 2020 (28), 2021 (19), 2022 (10), 2023 (20)
    Muzzy: 2017 (59), 2018 (52), 2019 (15), 2020 (37), 2021 (21), 2022 (9), 2023 (20)
    Moot: 2017 (75), 2018 (78), 2019 (86), 2020 (135), 2021 (153), 2022 (201), 2023 (195)
    Nina: 2018 (13), 2019 (12), 2020 (eight), 2021 (6)
    Questor: 2020 (11)
    Reg: 2021 (21), 2022 (13)
    Retro: 2020 (61), 2021 (35), 2022 (36), 2023 (32)
    Stoph: 2017 (53), 2018 (72)
    Syph: 2017 (28)
    Verecocha: 2017 (38), 2018 (22), 2019 (29), 2020 (44), 2021 (37), 2022 (31)
    Wario: 2018 (52), 2019 (47), 2020 (60), 2021 (54), 2022 (53), 2023 (52)
    Webbins: 2017 (27), 2018 (41), 2019 (17), 2020 (11), 2021 (2)
    Wonderbanana: 2018 (13)

GOOD LUCK!! 

Had something a little bigger than everything on earth get in the way before… BUT I’M MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER!!!

Really though, just a good place to record your games, see what you enjoyed and remember why. Big help in looking at your end of the year Faves.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 1. Humanity (PS5) - 7 Jan (23hrs)
    Starting off as essentially 3D Lemmings for the current generation, but evolving into so much more.  It would have been enough if this was merely a good puzzle game with fun and clever stages and puzzles.  But as you progress through the small and succinct levels, the game introduces many new and different mechanics and environmental hazards that completely change the way the game plays and the lateral thinking required.  Imagine if all you had was simply pushing blocks or similar around the same small areas and nothing else and you thought that was good - then this will blow your mind unless you're an idiot.

The game does that Nintendo thing where it expertly paces the introduction of new ideas and doesn't overuse them before something else comes along or the way the idea is used is changed.  This keeps things fresh and showcases the designers' ability to create new and fun puzzles and setups.  I ended the game with 147/150 of the Goldys and it's far from being a difficult game which kept it more fun - in fact, the difficulty curve could be seen as being a bit uneven, more akin to a sin wave than being linear with each wave being one of the Sequences (areas), but I found this to be fitting and it made sure that you could progress to see what the game had in store later (not to mention that videos of bare minimum solutions to each level were included if you did get stuck).

This is all against a backdrop of a soothing, simple and hummable soundtrack and a fitting other-dimensional aesthetic.  Given it is first and foremost a puzle game, there need not have been a narrative structure or a story, but there was surprising thematic depth to what was there with its (not quite subtle) commentary on, as it says on the tin, humanity.
    Lastly, it was an absolute delight and joy to see the influence of producer Testuya Mizuguchi, specially Red Core which was just a mesmerising piece of gaming.  An auteur for the ages.
    All in all, a masterpiece of game design.
    [10]

2. Chants of Sennaar (PS4) - 12 Jan (11hrs)
    A chilled out puzzle adventure where you decipher glyphs to learn the languages of different sets of people to progress up what is essentially the Tower of Babel, with an art and play style reminiscent of games from the 80s /ealy 90s.  As you delve deeper (or should I say ascend higher) into the game, there's more and more to the story and the connections between the people and a real life lesson
    [8]

3. Dangun Feveron (PS4) - 14 Jan (5hrs)
    Not as complex or as fun as other Cave shmups, but the wackiness is welcome.  The three different modes don't really feel that different and the original Arcade mode isn't as fun for me - I don't likle having to chase my score multipliers on the screen, I want them all to come to me, which is what Super Easy and Fever modes do.  Easy platinum, though! :)
    [8]

4. Jusant (SeX) - 23 Jan (7hrs)
    Lovely little game from Don't Nod, very Journey-esque but not quite as good - well, not nearly as good.  But I enjoyed my time with it.  Climbing was non-taxing and there weren't many sections where I thought it didn't work or wanted it to end.  The world and story was fine, but it's mostly told via letters and diary entries you find dotted around - I would've preferred more subtle nods to what happened to the place and the community.  There are other collectibles which were better- the frescos, the altars and the conches, the latter being what I thought would work better as a story telling device if they had used it more.  Overall, glad I played it.
    [8]

5. Slay the Princess (Steam/macOS) - 5 Feb (4hrs)
    Visual novel with horror overtones and an intriguing story. Dialogue choices are great, lots of humour, but the voice acting and delivery of the well-written script was the icing on the cake.
    [8]

6. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch) - 31 Mar (10 hrs)
    Inventive and fun and simply wonderful. The best Mario since Galaxy 2. A right blast in 3-player co-op with the kids. Will be soloing it next to get the most out of it and see all levels.
    [9]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mine!

Movies and TV

The Hunt For Red October
    Murder Is Easy
    Yellowstone (S4)
    Patriot Games
    People Just Do Nothing (S3)
    Traitors (S2, UK)
    The Sum of all Fears
    Cold Pursuit
    The Commuter
    Shiva Baby
    The Good Thief
    Non-stop
    Dinner With Schmucks
    Beverley Hill Cops
    People Just Do Nothing (S4)
    The Curse
    Fool Me Once
    Taskmaster (s16)
    Beverley Hills Cop 2
    Beverley Hills Cop 3
    Saltburn
    Aftersun
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    Duel
    Jaws
    Constellation
    People Just Do Nothing (s5)
    Taskmaster (s15)
    Incendies
    Enemy
    The Prisoner
    The Favourite
    Zombieland (again)
    True Detective (S4, Night Country)
    The Dry (S1)
    Dune Part 1
    Dune Part 2
    The Kitchen
    Circle
    Leave The World Behind
    Tremors
    Good Luck to You Leo Grande
    Past Lives
    The Dry (S1)
    The Dry (s2)
    Ripley

Books

The Stand
    Why Don't You Love Me
    The Dark Arena

Games

1) Alan Wake 2
    2) Haiku the Robot
    3) Evan's Remains
    4) Lone Fungus
    5) PoP
    Balatro
    HAAK
    Aeterna Noctis
    BG3
    Ultros
    Spiderman 2
    Blue Fire
    Coffee Talk
    Assassin's Creed: Mirage
    The Legend of Tianding
    Season: A Letter To The Future
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    1 - Bushi Seiryuuden ~Futari no Yuusha~ (Warriors: Legend of the Blue Dragon ~The Two Heroes~ (Super Famicom) - [8] - 02/01/24 - Review
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I shall be taking part this year, and will actually try to keep it up with the videos, as I'm a lot better at the editing now.

I've got quite far in Arcade Paradise, so will hopefully have that ticked off in the next day or so.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I will be doing at least 26 games this year. This is my list…

1. Slay The Princess - PC - 2.1 hrs - a rec in the 2023 thread by Cinty. It's a visual novel where you have to enter a cabin and slay a princess. But obviously, it's not as simple as that. The voice acting is good, though one voice started to grate on me a little so I started to read quickly and skip some of it, which is probably why I finished it so quickly. It's clearly a game to be replayed, as there is so much choice. While I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. [7]

2. Persona 4 Golden - PC - 58hrs 7mins more investigative fun with the Scooby gang. This time in a small town where a series of strange murders happen. Even though I owned this many years ago I put off finishing it for one reason or another but I’m glad I came back to it. Overall it’s a great game with that nice loop of limited choices in the day, interspersed with dungeon battles in another world. I think they improved pretty much everything with P5, except this is a tighter story and, if my memory serves me well, a much shorter playtime because of it. It’s a great turned based JRPG [9]

Edit - now with the proper ending. Yes the real ending was much better with a lot to like, that final boss battle score was top notch. But…
    Spoiler:

But I’ll still give it half a  point more due to its Return of The King like ending. [9.5]

3. Yakuza: Like A Dragon - PS5 - 57hrs Fantastic turn-based JRPG, think everyone on this forum knows what it is, but it really is just great fun. Hadn’t played it in a while due to getting stuck on a pita boss who kept kicking my ass. Finally cracked it last week and glad I did, finished and ready for the sequel. [9]

4. Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth - PS5 - 76hrs I didn’t pay full price for this game but even if I did I couldn’t complain about the value for money here. It is a ridiculously generous games, or really multiple games inside a single game, you have the main story, which is not as simple as it first appears, you have a Pokemon game (admittedly, I didn’t do much of this) and you have Animal Crossing. That is without all the myriad side quests (all well thought out and as mad as the original), mini-games (photoing island pervs? Yes please), Persona-like challenge dungeons, and something that long-time Yakuza fans will love, I think.

There is so much going on here, but it is all so wonderfully balanced with that addictive turn-based gameplay loop, like Yaklad. The systems have evolved and there are some radical design decisions made as the game progresses, with one character getting a great power that seems at odds with the rest of the game, but it works.

I honestly can’t think of a single thing to fault this game on. It’s a solid [10], I think if I’d played the earlier Yakuza games I’d have probably given it an 11.

P.S. stick around for the post-credits scene.

5. Dragon's Dogma 2 - PC - 39.6hrs - I honestly didn't expect this game to end as quickly as it did. Certainly more to discover with several side quests not done. It's a great game that encourages exploring to get the most out of it (as long as you don't want to climb a mountain!) and rewards you with some great combat encounters. I never NG+ games, but think I will for this as I never got to experience the Magic Archer. I think a failing of the game is clearly pacing, with the main quest not really building as much as it could have, despite one great set piece towards the end. It's obtuseness can also affect how or whether you complete a quest properly. Despite it's jank, poor performance and lack of stability (it crashed on me twice freezing up the PC), the overall feel of the world and combat loop make it a great game [9]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1. Alan Wake 2 25 hours, [10]

2. Storyteller 5 hours, [7]

3. Another Code: Recollection 10 hours [7]
  • Ban this sick filth
    The Forum Herald™
  • Place for list.

Also, this is showing in the off topic folder. May want to shift it to games.
  • Heh.  Yeah.  It's always been in the Off Topic folder, never really thought about it.  WTF my bad it seems.  I'll move it.

Stats updated with all I could find in the 2023 thread but Cocha who I think hasn't finished his write-up (?)
  • I think I'm in this time. FOR REAL.
  • Well it's either that or yous are getting ultimate team player reviews
  • Mines!

1.Alan Wake 2 - Hours - 100/10 - Xbox Series X

My GOTY 2023, held off on posting as completed ‘The Final Draft’ mode too.

Not just my GOTG but joint GOTG for me. I thought for its genre and technically it was perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing. I started it a little after release but once I started I couldn’t put it down and what’s more had to 100% it as I just couldn’t get enough.

Cannot wait for the DLC and miss rushing home to play it because it was just that good.

Perfect at everything it set out to do for me, 10/10

aUbOsm.gif

2.Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - 6/10 - Xbox Series X

As it is every year…it’s just more Call of Duty…which though was a little short this year, is absolutely fine with me as it’s just a video game blockbuster mental action romp with shooting that’s pretty much second to none on its scale. Would’ve liked a little more but that’s reflected in the score, was enough for me to have fun and the new missions which were set in a small multi layered map actually worked quite well.

6/10

kDkYQv.gif

3.Star Wars Jedi Survivor - 20 Hours - 9/10 - Xbox Series X

Another I had on the back burner for a while as I wanted to concentrate on it as I loved the first…and I did right…this was even better.

Improved in every way over the first in gameplay and technically. I’m sure it’s been patched a number of times but ran like a dream and it was a lovely example of playing stuff with the Philips Hue system with the bright and colourful environments. Feels much fairer in combat aside from some of the bosses which felt like total cheats with some of their move sets. Enjoyed the story and introducing more elements of The High Republic with some great characters, you can see the twist coming but not to the extent that it does so kept it fun. And it’s still the best Jedi experience with even more lightsaber stances and combat options.

Plus…they manage to fit in a fight against Vader which is absofuckingloutely badass as it’s ace when Vader is his bad self.

Great game, I probably add on at least one point as a Star Wars saddo. Great start to this yesterday in gaming, 910.

nLIkTu.gif

4.The Last of Us Part 1 - 16 Hours - 8/10 - PS5

Played through this again before planning to tackle Part 2 but gonna leave it a little time because the gameplay when you know the story is good but so very, very tiresome and one note.

Game is a stunner, the sound is incredible and it builds a tremendous atmosphere. Another one that works extremely well with the Hue system which I hadn’t anticipated. But it was just very boring after a while. Perhaps I’ve played it too much this being maybe the fourth playthrough, but it is just an interactive movie, there’s no change, no clever AI, it’s just the same everytime.

Still amazing in its own way but I doubt I’ll ever play it again.

8/10

oZZ7E6.gif

5.Halo Combat Evolved - 10 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

Time for the annual playthrough of the Halo’s with being off with my destroyed arm.

Gotta admit…the 10 is partly because it’s still an incredible game…but also partly nostalgia as it has unsurprisingly aged a hell of a lot.

It’s probably because whilst it’s still the best Halo in some ways it’s very limited in comparison with some others. A lot of people would argue that’s part of the beauty as it’s all built together to be part of its perfection but I just miss so many bits from the others. A medium distance rifle being the main thing, and no the pistol doesn’t cut it, it’s a thing of beauty no doubt, but it’s strangely inaccurate, which I don’t remember it being at all. And again I know it was made to be exactly what it is, and most hated the addition, it feels really pedestrian without a sprint button. Just a slow traversal around some awesome, awesome levels.

The story though is still the best, the levels are all some of the best, even including the Library as I always loved the challenge of it. And the best finish to the game.

Loved it. But being honest it’s a nostalgia 10…not a real 10 anymore…and that’s coming from someone who is one of if not the biggest Halo fan.

10/10

uu4iqL.gif

6.Halo 2 - 10 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox Series X

So onto number 2, the proper oddball of the series to me. So hard to follow up the original but they went so far out the box for me in trying to establish the Arbiter. I hated playing as him. Hated his levels. Just didn’t care. And the Chief levels varied wildly from incredible to just so boring. I remember it all so vividly as I had gone to a house party the night before on the proviso that the girl I’d just started seeing got us home early so I could be at the 08:00 opening of game. Yet she got me to stay by offering a threesome with another girl but as I was only 17 it was a godawful experience and I snook out at like 04:00 and walked home in both embarrassment and anger, so when I had to suddenly play as the Arbiter I was like ‘WHAT THE FUCK?!’.

But anyway. I fell in love with the Battle Rifle, the awesome levels that were spaced throughout, some of the returning characters and new ones and the universe filling out after reading the books too. It wasn’t the game I wanted it to be, but it was incredible anyway. And the Brutes were just less fun to fight than everything else. Clues in the name as they’re just Brutes but still…

Similar this time. Because the upgrade has been more recent its looks are much improved as was the gameplay in general with it being younger. And the BR, amazing.

Same with this in terms of extra pointage for nostalgia but it actually was more fun than the first when playing as the Chief. Just some absolutely incredible levels. So much vehicular carnage too which is always fun.

8/10

jMr7Zj.gif

7.Halo 3 - 8 Hours - 9/10 - Xbox Series X

Much better…back to just being the Chief. Slight visual downgrade from H2 Anniversary but a much more cohesive game in every way. The story from the off, characters, objectives, all just better written and more complete a vision. An even better BR, and much, much better Brutes.

Gotta admit though, amidst the better everything and again, absolutely stand out missions, there was a lot of crap ones or slow meandering sections that just really bored me, it wasn’t as good as last time. Has everything just moved on so much in such a short period or have the sequels to this just made some of the older ones less fun in a number of ways?

Don’t get me wrong, it was still incredible, and got everything perfect at the time and is still unbelievable as a whole now, just a little less every time I play it. Though taking down that first scarab never gets old.

Now onto 4…which to my shame…has become my favourite…by a mile.

9/10

zxndYA.gif

8.Halo 4 - 8 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

I know nobody agrees with me…but this game is just the best in the series. I mean I might play 5 or infinite and change my mind but I doubt it.

It looks incredible. Like not just how did they manage this on the 360 incredible but even to today’s standards it’s so clean and absofuckingloutely stunning. The lighting is just to die for and with the Hue system the lighting is just out of this world. The sound work is terrific. And they made it so different and future sci-fi in such a sharper way than traditional Halo but it’s still so Halo and awesome. The mix of weapons is unsurprisingly the best, and some of the Promethean weaponry is awesome, some awful but I only ever like using UNSC stuff anyway. The Promethean’s as enemies aren’t the best but I don’t quite understand the hatred for them.

The Didact, to me he is a great big bad and whilst he’s part of why it’s such a great package to me, he and the story are entirely what are wrong with the game for everyone else and I entirely understand that and to this day don’t understand what 343 were thinking in just hoping fans knew the expanded universe to go straight off in such a direction. Cannot believe nobody stopper them. Perfect for me though and he brought everything forerunner to life for me.

The biggest thing though is the gameplay. Just so, so smooth. Brings everything together in the best form of any of them, so far, and after just starting 5 that’s still the case. Just such a joy to play. Feels so fluid and has everything I could want from my Halo. I absolutely love H4 and for me it’s just the best Halo there is.

Absofuckingloutely awesome. You’ve got the Infinity in it, the Spartan IV’s, mad Cortana, the best Mjolnir armour MK VI, Rick Flair whew! Wish they hadn’t fit everything in that story direction in one game as it threw it all on you then ended it all in the same short campaign. Weird, weird perfect game. Weird, weird perfect short shit review.

10/10

QuvNLW.gif
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    iPhone trial games here we come.
  • I'll give this a go, in an attempt to complete more than one game each decade.

Currently playing Hades.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can I review Marvel Snap
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    1. Slay The Princess - PC - 2.1 hrs - a rec in the 2023 thread by Cinty. It's a visual novel where you have to enter a cabin and slay a princess. But obviously, it's not as simple as that. The voice acting is good, though one voice started to grate on me a little so I started to read quickly and skip some of it, which is probably why I finished it so quickly. It's clearly a game to be replayed, as there is so much choice. While I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. [7]
  • Think I'll take part this time.

0.5 (honorary mention) Astro's playroom PS5. 3.5 hours

I'll count this because my daughter set us a challenge at 8pm New Year's Eve that we could start a new save on a fresh account and platinum this before midnight. Did it with 30 minutes to spare! We seriously need a new Astrobot game [10]

1 Balder's Gate 3. PS5

I'm probably not going to finish this monster before November at the rate I'm going. It is incredible, and a bit of a gamble buying it, seeing that I haven't really gotten into modern fantasy genre games if they're not soulslikes.

2. Ultima Runes of Virtue. GB

I last played this over 26 years ago. Apparently it's seen as pretty difficult and I'd agree, but it doesn't feel unfair aside from the occasional moment and it has some great puzzles. It's still as charming as I remember and a good spin off from the ultima series. Definitely worth playing if you like old school Zelda. [9]

3. Returnal PS5
    4. Horizon Forbidden West
    5. Demons souls remake
    6 Cult of the lamb
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I never follow these up.
    PS5 unless otherwise noted

1. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown (Sega)
    I've started playing in regular European online leagues. The league function built into the game is great actually. Online lag is a bit rough and the skill difference is painful. Fun.
    I'm awaiting VF 6 and will play 3tb and 5 in Japan when I move. Possibly 4 if I Set up fightcade.

2. Valkyria Chronicles 10 hours (Sega)
    Started playing around Christmas, must be the 4thbtime I've started this time I've managed to advance further than ever, game is good but slow and not super gripping. Presentation is nice, some PS3 era remnants, needs checkpoints just for the sake of medium in the rare occasion you do mess up.

3. Dead Space. Completed: 18 hours (EA Motive)
    Game was on sale but noticed that for 3 Digimon bucks a 1 month EA subscription would do just fine.
    Played the original but never beat, likely same will happen again. Nice graphically with some oddities, and look very 360 ish at times even with the upgrade. Looks better in stills than motion.
    Enemies appear behind constantly and are not that engaging, weapons less satisfying than I remember. Audio has no decent spatially without headphones which is a shame.
    Will keep playing but generally a mid game.

Completed update:
    Completed Dead Space remake, in about 18 hours. Very mid game. 5 or 6 out of 10.
    The character controls poorly, the storytelling is neither interesting in what it's telling or how it's told, changing weapons in the menu is tediously slow. Graphically nice but nothing on par with Resi 4.
    The performance is bad frame drops and resolution drops are obviously in later parts of the game and that's on a VRR display. Weapons felt better in original. At least the early ones.
    Locations are samey and the geography is sometimes hard to navigate, menus are slow and the way point system requires you to stop and stand still. Just many frustrations.
    Worst is the enemies, some are fun to fight against, a few are unfair cheese but the amount of off screen attacks and little indicators to suggest where they are and poor sound design means you dont know where they spawned in.
    I'm convinced the game teleports enemies behind you
    It's competent but nothing special.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Can I review Marvel Snap

Yes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    [8]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reads like a [7]
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    In, maybe I'll get to 10 this year... we shall see!
  • 1. Alligator Hunt - Arcade (30mins)

The thumbnail had two kids on skateboards with guns on it, so in we went. I was expecting a belt scroller of sorts, but it's actually reminiscent of (the rather good) Wild Guns on SNES. Spoiler alert: you only get to control the skategunners directly for the opening stage - after that they both jump on spaceships (which doesn't actually change the mechanics much at all). You can move left and right along the bottom of the screen while aiming a cursor anywhere, but when you fire your character is locked in place. A dodge/barrel roll lets you evade enemy fire, and it all works surprisingly well. I'd go as far as saying this is a genuinely good arcade game, and probably one of the best lightgun sans lightgun types I've played.

Cutscenes are amusing with sampled speech a-go-go, and alongside the Big Shred guitars that constantly wail away there's a wild drum heavy motif that repeats throughout the missions. The guitars do eventually get a bit annoying tbf, but for the first couple of missions they're amazing.

It's all fairly easy too, which was a pleasant surprise for an arcade game. Even the graphics are pretty stylish, with plenty of nice effects, and the way you can juggle Doozer looking lizards for extra missles is a valid addition. Jaleco might've been responsible for some infamous duffers in their time but this would have been a fine way to spend a 50p or two in 1994. [5 out of 6]. Another successful random rom romp.

aligatorhuntthumbs.gif

1*ZEdZ61F2NgmdZCSgBVDjwA.jpeg
  • Sick
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Keeping this as a reference here in this post, so I don't need it at the beginning of every entry. 

2022: Final Post

Games reviewed:
    Ready or Not, Can Androids Pray, Bad End Theater, Anger Foot, Bloodborne PSX, Day Repeat Day, Elden Ring, GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, Emily is Away 3, Fifa 22, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Good Night Knight, There is no Game, Disco Elysium, Cyberpunk 2077, Deep Rock Galactic, YAKLAD, Manifold Garden, Factori, Circadian Dice, Nier Re[in]carnation, The Sexy Brutale, Dragon's Dogma, Vampyr, Rogue Legacy 2, Lair of the Clockwork God, Escape Simulator, Ender Lillies, Rhythm Doctor, Citizen Sleeper, You Have to Win this Game, Narita Boy,, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, NORCO, Buck Up and Drive, A Year of Springs, Buddy Game Simulator 1984, Dicey Dungeons, Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order, Grindstone, What the Golf, Reigns, Moonlighter, Ctrl Alt Ego, Tales of Arise, Mini Metro, Gloomwood, Kill it with Fire, Civilization IV, Civilization VI, In Other Waters, Deathloop, Blink

2023: Final Post

2022-2023 hangovers - finished in 2022, written up in 2023:
    Marvel's GotG, Two Point Campus, Stray, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Peglin, Slay the Spire, Nioh 2, Railway Empire, Catherine: Full Body, Wasteland 3, Subnautica, Death Stranding: Director's Cut

Games Reviewed: 
    Judgment, Vampire Survivors, Miles Morales, Vaporum: Lockdown, DMC5:SE, Lost Judgment, Roadwarden, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Against the Storm, RE: Village PSVR 2, Tentacular, Destiny 2: The Witch Queen, Destiny 2: Lightfall, Tyranny, Lunacid, Pile Up!, Synapse, Far Cry 6, GTA 5, RE4 Remake, Tchia, Scarlet Nexus, Pistol Whip, Olli Olli World, Nier: Replicant, JETT: The Far Shore, Rune Factory 4: Special, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, DQ11:EoaEAS - Definitive Edition, Legend of Grimrock 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Whitewater Wipeout, Casual Birder, Pick Pack Pup, Crankin's Time Adventure, Direct Drive, Legend of Etad, Reel Steal, Recommendation Dog, Dungeons and Puzzles, The Bookwalker, Chambers of Devious Design, Super Corporate Tax Evader, El Paso, Elsewhere, BABBDI, Genshin Impact, Honkai: Star Rail, Teardown, Humanity, Walkabout Mini Golf, Shadows of Doubt, Omaze, Demon Quest 85, Slay the Spire...again, Vignettes, Froggy's Battle, co-open, Fatum Betula, Executive Golf DX, Questy Chess, He Fucked the Girl Out of Me, Crusader Kings 3, Football, Tactics & Glory, Backpack Hero, Starfield, Salamander County Public Television, Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, Final Fantasy XVI, Druidstone, Mary Skelter 2, Slay the Princess, Etrian Odyssey 3 HD, Etrian Odyssey 5, Shogun Showdown, Brotato, Dotage, Hitman: World of Assassination, Spider-man 2, Darkest Dungeon, Pawnbarian, Radical Rabbit Stew 

Next / The To-Play List:
    Growing my Grandpa
    Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty 
    The Forest Quartet 
    Spare Parts: Episode 1 & 2 
    Unpacking
    NUTS
    Super is Hot
    Neurocracy
    Evolution
    Slasher U
    Cannelé & Nomnom - Defective Agency
    Prodigal
    Scanner Sombre
    Recursed
    Kine
    Vomitoreum
    Moonring
    Omen Exito: Plague
    Supermarket Shriek
    Marco & The Galaxy Dragon
    Total War: Warhammer II
    Inquisitor
    Kiryu's Karaoke Sim featuring Punching with No Name
    Alan Wake 2
    Save me Mr Tako: Definitive Edition
    Overboard! 
    Marvel Midnight Suns
    Smushi Come Home
    Sticky Business
    Railbound
    A Procession to Calvary 
    The House in Fata Morgana (still going with this one...)
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!