2024 Listening Booth
  • Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves

Kacey-Musgraves-Deeper-Well.jpg

New material from Our Lady Kacey is always welcome, but this isn’t floating my boat.

Floaty folk-pop strumalongs that are facile and forgettable, lyrically weak and musically ponderous, only lifted by that incredible voice of hers. There’s little of Kacey’s wit and bite on show here. She’s happy and satisfied and chilled and wants us all to feel it alongside her. Which is fine, but … god it gets boring fast.

The opener, Cardinal, is by far the strongest song on here. Strong Fleetwood Mac vibes - but Fleetwood Mac album filler, not Fleetwood Mac pop killer. From there it segues into title track Deeper Well, and after that the album sort of meanders off a cliff quietly. It only really perks up again for Anime Eyes near the end, where there’s just a hint of Flaming Lips around the edges of, yes, yet another folksy ballad.

This is Campfire Kacey. Barefoot Earth Mother Kacey. Chunky knitted jumper Kacey. And I don’t like her half as much as the sassy small-town sweetheart Kacey who recorded belters like Blowin’ Smoke, This Town, and Follow Your Arrow.

These mellow vibes would be welcome as part of a more varied album, but end-to-end middle of the road ain’t a nice experience. It fades into the background, desperate to be ‘nice’.
  • 68. Kacey Misgraves - Deeper Well

Almost exactly what pop said. First two tracks were good (neither were great) and apart from one called Jade Green the rest is a wet weekend. I hated Anime Eyes.

A track called The Architect sums it up really - it's an OK idea for a song and the melody/arrangement/chorus are passable, but some of the lyrics are so placeholder it's like the buzzer went off on Ready, Steady, Write and she had to put her pen down without changing the bit about the apple, or the line 'is it too late to make some more space'. Or most of the rest of it. I tell you who wouldn't have fucked this song up - Brandi Carlile.

Different trailer, not in the same ballpark!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’ve been up to my eyeballs in new music playlists so not listened to a long-player for a week or so….

Anyhoo….

Nils Hoffmann - Running In A Dream
    Melodic House (2024)

427216.jpg

A collaboration with vocalise Rae Morris drew me to this long player, even though it’s an 8-track, 35-minute jaunt. Anything with a heavy, consistent bass kick tends to sit well with me even if nothing massively stands out. That said, I would happily let this accompany me on a long drive or, in my youth, getting lost in the atmosphere of a smoky club.

Must Listen: Collide
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’m listening to this Glass Beach album (Plastic Death) and I’d genuinely love some others to do the same as I’m struggling to pin it down. It’s good, but the variety of genres/sonics are, for want of a better word, somewhat overwhelming.
  • Was starting to think The Decemberists had given up on their weird stuff to stick with radio friendly fare. So I was delighted by their new offering. Starts a hymnal, finds its way to Wall era Floyd, descends into ambient nonsense, then roars back with ridiculous faux metal. Lots of people will, I suspect hate it (with reason), but it pleases me greatly.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    I’m listening to this Glass Beach album (Plastic Death) and I’d genuinely love some others to do the same as I’m struggling to pin it down. It’s good, but the variety of genres/sonics are, for want of a better word, somewhat overwhelming.

This could be my AotY. Wow.

• Didn't realise a second track had appeared. Will investigate later.

Edit: Decemberists
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    20 minutes! Amazing.

Yup. Like the good old days. (But also quite different.)

• If it's somewhere on a The Tain, The Island and Hazards Venn diagram I'll hopefully like it.
  • I liked it, I think. It's a bit Offa Rex early on. The windy ambient knob-twiddling stretch lost me a bit as I kept hearing the girl from Pearl Jam's Heyfoxymophandlemama in my head, but the rest of it was goodstuff (especially when they turned into no fucks given spacerockers at the end). Looking forward to playing it to Mrs. Moot, who declared that they were 'back' after the Beach Boys one. She'll absolutely hate it (Hazard of Love and Sturgill Simpson's Sound & Fury are two records I'm always guatanteed to be told to turn off at home).
  • Got the Glass Beach one lined up for tomorrow. Never heard of them.
  • Aye, same. Will report back.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Just because the first track from the Glass Beach album shares the same name:

Anyone remember when we did a Shriekback album in an album club thing many years ago?  Was a Brooks pick iirc (although I don't think he liked it in the end).  I loved it and it's often something I'll put on if I can't decide what to listen to.  Nemesis is such amazing nonsense.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I liked it, I think. It's a bit Offa Rex early on. The windy ambient knob-twiddling stretch lost me a bit as I kept hearing the girl from Pearl Jam's Heyfoxymophandlemama in my head, but the rest of it was goodstuff (especially when they turned into no fucks given spacerockers at the end). Looking forward to playing it to Mrs. Moot, who declared that they were 'back' after the Beach Boys one. She'll absolutely hate it (Hazard of Love and Sturgill Simpson's Sound & Fury are two records I'm always guatanteed to be told to turn off at home).

Yeah, it’s going to be divisive I think - but in the opposite way to the last one. (I gather each of the 4 sides of the new album is themed, so I wonder if they’re going for a bit of everything.)

It’s basic a folk noodle, followed by prog noodle, ambient noodle and then rock noodle. So whether you like it or not presumably comes down to your noodle tolerance. The whole thing probably ought to be tighter - but I guess that’s sort of the point…
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Genuinely excited to hear the Glass Beach again. I got Radiohead vibes, heard some Rivers Cuomo-style vocals, electronica, Speed metal, Faith No More.

Utterly batshit crazy.
  • 69. Jeremy Ivey - The Dream and the Dreamer (2019)

OTgtNDI2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

The first track from this (Diamonds Back to Coal) popped up on a Tidal Daily recs playlist while I was decorating the other day.  The melody/guitars were heavily reminiscent of The Handsome Family's Far From Any Road, so obviously I sang over the whole thing like a wally, but I did make a note of his name for later listening.  I was expecting the track/artist to be from the 70s tbh.  This was his debut album though, released in 2019 when he was a spring chickeny 41.  It turns out he's Margo Price's husband, so I have heard him before as he plays guitar on her records, but this is a better LP than any of Margo's since All American Made imo (and she's consistently solid, so I mean that more as compliment to hubby than a dig at wifey).  I didn't like Gina the Tramp on first listen, which irked me because it's the sort of thing I'd usually appreciate so hopefully it'll grow on me.  Very chill and nuanced; he wears his era of influence on his sleeve but absolutely nails it.  I really liked the vast majority of this.    

70. LL Cool J - Radio (1985)
    71. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out (1990)

MzItMjM1Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

0073145234772_600.jpg

Radio was great, MSKYO was patchy.  The title track on the latter is obviously a worldie but the fact that it's followed by the terrible Milky Cereal kinda sums the album up for me (Jingling Baby is next, which I liked, so it's constant ups and downs).  Radio was way ahead of its time for 1985 and has an infectious immediacy.  As a prominent Hip Hop trailblazer it's a shame that he moved away from the punchy boom bap, rhymes + killer DJ sound imo.  There were two albums between these releases and you can hear him gravitating towards R&B in places on Mama.  I enjoyed checking him out but I doubt I'll investigate further.

As a Radio related aside, whenever I listen to this type of Hip Hop it reminds me how much Jurassic 5 perfected their 'heavily influenced by' shtick on The J5 LP.  It's another one where I've heard lines from a record before, but only just realised they were respectfully recycled by Chali 2na & co.
  • 72. Jurassic 5 - J5 (1998)

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Shouldn't really count this as it's clearly breaching thread rules so I'll keep it short.  Had to listen after mentioning it; an actual full blown [10].  The lines 'ah ah, the tool spinners, cookin' a full dinner/killin' the firstborn of lyrical Yul Brynners' will be kissed by chefs forever.  I GET GOOSEBUMPS WHEN THE BASSLINE THUMPS.
  • Olimite wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Aye, same. Will report back.

Not my bag unfortunately, turned off halfway through.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Oh well. Thanks for giving it a shot. I thought given your Radiohead leanings, you would dig the randomness of it all.
  • Nothing in its right place!

I liked it more than daddy and less than you.  Write up tomorrow probably.  Bit long and inconsistent maybe but good on the whole, with a couple of top quality tracks.  Have recommended it to someone else who'll possibly like it more than me, who said he likes the label they're on and did a thumbs up emoji.
  • Have to tell the thread about my brother. Was visiting him there and his music taste is very Q mag. Eventually we're moving chat onto the topic of music and he genuinely "you might not have heard of them"-d me and then put on Nothing Matters by The Last Dinner Party.

sarcastic-laugh.gif
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It’s very random, yes. I like that there wasn’t like a ‘go-to’ track on it - felt like a proper album that has to be listened to as such. Will do a second playthrough later on.

Always open to listen to suggestions too if anyone has any but I already have AllMusic emails backed up in my inbox :D
  • 73. Glass Beach - Plastic Death (2024)

ab67616d00001e0237295d61bcd9fc7fa2fe33c9

Bold mixture of styles that seems really accomplished in terms of musicianship.  Emo alt math jazz inspired prog rock wearing an In Rainbows T shirt was never likely to be something I'd be fully into though.  I wasn't too taken with the lead vocals, or what I could make out of the lyrics.  I actually heard a line I liked, then looked it up and realised I'd misheard it (FTR I thought I heard 'heart with a glass jaw', which is the sort of mawkish pish I like, but the line was actually 'heart with a glass door', which earned nil moot points).  The band pretty much sticks everything it chucks at the wall though.  The whole thing is impressively Jack-of-all-trades (even the metal flourishes didn't feel forced - Slip Under The Door is decent early on), and I assume this is a group of friends doing exactly what they want to do while putting 100% effort into every miniscule detail.  So fair play to them, it's just not quite my sort of thing.  Ergo it's more of a 'this lot are impressive!' record for me, rather than a 'this lot are great!' one.  I'd much rather listen to by-the-numbers rock with more appealing vocals/words tbh, which is why basic garage/southern rock is more my jam as I tend to prefer my guitar based music a little less hyperactive - this sometimes sounds like a big Mr. Bungle bundle to me.  They even gleefully mix things up during songs, with some tracks doing that mathrock/jazz inspired hand-crank thing (which isn't a thing, but I don't listen to a lot of this sort of music so to me it is - time signatures that speed up, shift lanes and slow down as if manually churned by someone pulling the strings on a whim while shouting 'dance, my pretties!').  

TLDR: I think it's good and I did quite like it (I've listened to some of it twice), but they're not a band I can see myself getting into.

74. Glass Beach - the first glass beach album

ODItNTIxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Having said that I did listen to the album before the second one on the way to work this morning.  I was reading at the time though, so didn't pay full attention.  I liked the jazzy electro freak-out on dallas but hated the autotuned vox on planetarium.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any examples of autotuned vocals I do like ever though.  Which makes me very cloud shouty and old man-ish, but it's an instant nails on a blackboard production technique for me.  This album was also a bit bonkers, although less so than the more recent one.  On the rare croony tracks she's actually got quite a strong voice, it just gets a bit rubberstamp emo when she's keeping pace with the bigger tracks imo.  It's also quite good for the screamo bits - it's just in the kinda middle range that it misses the mark for me.  Fun fact for my fellow nerds: This one has a track called Yoshi's Island on it.       

So yeah, not my usual thing but I enjoyed the diversion.
  • Moot - I think it’s fair to say LL Cool J peaked with his set for the Yo! MTV Raps Unplugged show. I’m not sure if the full thing is still out there anywhere, but this is a performance always worth revisiting …

• Nice.  Track always reminds me of my Naseem Hamed VHS.
  • Which I've probably still got.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I listened to my three fave LL songs on the way to work today to try and kick me out of lethargy:

Mama Said Knock You Out
    I’m Bad
    I Need Love
    Go Cut Creator Go

• 75. Judy Collins - Who Knows Where the Time Goes (1968)

OTktNTg0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Was reading about the recording of this earlier.  Stephen Stills sat in on guitar, apparently.  I've probably heard her before but I didn't recognise anything here.  The opening track (Hello, Hooray) was good, as was Someday Soon (an excellent track that popped up on a Tidal playlist and was the reason I started reading up on the album in the first place).  

Maybe I wasn't in the mood but I thought the rest of it was a bit uneventful.  This is probably harsh, but aside from the standout tracks she sounded a bit like a budget Baez to me, with a couple of uninspired Cohen covers, a weak-ish Dylan effort, a Sandy Denny track that probably should have been left alone and a kinda rubbish Diamonds & Rust copycat effort (First Boy I Loved, which struck me as especially crap).  

Can't win 'em all.  Great voice tbf, and that's a decent album cover.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!