Let's make a gaming PC
  • On balance I would avoid the HP system, just because that has some proprietary bits and pieces like the motherboard which can make upgrading difficult. Also it seems to have fuck all airflow with that case.
  • There's this kind of thing out there atm - https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-citadel-ryzen-5600x-six-core-4.6ghz-radeon-rx-5600xt-6gb-desktop-pc.html Dunno if that's a solid company, check reviews, reckons etc. If there's options for a build you should definitely tweak to get the best setup. In the above example you would want to change the motherboard to the B550M-A or better, the memory to 2x8GB 3200MHz, maybe get more storage though tbh you will probably be best off buying it separately when you need it, and deselect any internet security software nonsense.

Yeah so I've just had a wee look around at a few places and I'll tentatively say that this looks like a good option, decent value for money and reasonable parts. The CPU in particular is excellent, probably good for games like Valheim.
  • Oh and apart from the other upgrades maybe upgrade the SSD to the Adata SX8200 Pro for console like storage speeds, won't make a massive difference though. You can always upgrade storage later as you need to, though reinstalling Windows can be a faff if you want to upgrade the boot drive.

I think that doesn't come with an OS installed, or maybe they just put an unregistered Windows install on there. Either way you should have a USB with a Windows install handy.
  • Just out of curiosity I compared that AWD build with an equivalent DIY one using PCPartpicker, with an approximation of the GPU cost if the market for them wasn't so mental. DIY would be only about £80 cheaper, so that's not too bad at all for a prebuilt with the usual support and warranty.
  • Hopeless COD Warzone addict, i'm wondering how much cash i would need to splash to gain a tiny bit of improvement to my success in the game :D

Currently have an Xbox One X and 1080p 60HZ monitor.

Xbox Series X supports 120 FPS but does not allow you to change Field of View. PS5 supports neither.

So, to go full sweaty requires a gaming PC.

Not too fussed about 4k in this case. 1080p/1440p fine.

So PC that can run Warzone at 120 FPS and a monitor that supports that is what i am curious about (i think.)

Could anybody help?
  • Unfortunately the GPU market is still completely and utterly fucked due to general shortages and the crypto craze, might be quite a while before you can find and buy a new GPU for a reasonable price. The best bet currently might be to get a prebuilt with a mid range GPU and a 6/8 core Ryzen CPU.
  • A 5600X or 5800X PC from here would probably do the job just fine, depends on your budget. - https://www.awd-it.co.uk/gaming-pcs/gaming-pc-systems/amd-cpu-gaming-pc.html
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You're not wrong Gurt, watched this last night and while Linus is in semi-gloat mode he's not wrong either. Potentially, 2023 for things to return to "normal"

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Hopeless COD Warzone addict, i'm wondering how much cash i would need to splash to gain a tiny bit of improvement to my success in the game :D

Currently have an Xbox One X and 1080p 60HZ monitor.

Xbox Series X supports 120 FPS but does not allow you to change Field of View. PS5 supports neither.

So, to go full sweaty requires a gaming PC.

Not too fussed about 4k in this case. 1080p/1440p fine.

So PC that can run Warzone at 120 FPS and a monitor that supports that is what i am curious about (i think.)

Could anybody help?

I wonder if a new PC will help when it comes to accepting my Warzone invites?
  • Thank you. £1300 is feasible but probably not worth it as it's literally only to play Warzone and i'm not good enough to get a huge benefit (probably)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Very catty. Should have added a few expletives in there so he knows I'm joking
  • I wonder if a new PC will help when it comes to accepting my Warzone invites?

Looool. I think you sent one? I think i was in a full squad. Up for it next time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ha, no bother. Why doesn't it tell you if someone's in a squad or not?
  • Biggest benefit I have when I’m on pc warzone is having an ultrawide monitor.
  • JMW wrote:
    Biggest benefit I have when I’m on pc warzone is having an ultrawide monitor.

How so? Because of field of view? Would i get any benefit from upgrading my monitor if using with xbox one x?
  • Yeah, field of view basically. It’s a good one in other ways (144hz, 1440p - had 1080 before and wouldn’t want to go back) but the wideness and sitting right in it is great.
  • I’m online with my mates a few times a week, sometimes PS5 & sometimes PC - I’m always better on MW/Cold War on PC. Still pretty shit mind.
  • I haven't checked but I would assume that an ultrawide wouldn't be a good pairing with an Xbox, often there needs to be specific support for FOV and UI elements to look right I think.

Personally I'm not a fan of ultrawide, I'd actually like 16:10 to make a comeback as I feel like that fills the field of view more naturally. Having at least two monitors is a very good idea with PCs, being able to have a video/discord/notes etc up on the second screen is extremely helpful.
  • You're barking up a tree with very little in the way of improvements tbh Djornson. I wouldn't spend any money on upgrading just to get better at the game. The 120fps upgrade is barely noticeable in my eyes. I've played on my laptop and my Series S and I can't tell the difference. A Series S might be the way to go tbh. Unless you want to play with mouse and keyboard??
  • PC gaming isn't for everyone. If you just want a self-contained box that requires minimal faff other than downloading updates, and is pre-tuned for maximum performance/quietness, then a console is a good choice.

If you want the ability to tailor the hardware specification to your specific needs, upgrade parts as needed without throwing away the rest, make the most of a variety of display formats and use multiple screens, use a wide variety of input peripherals with the widest variety of game genres, customise games to your liking with endless mods and tweaks, and buy games for dirt cheap from your choice of storefront, then a PC is really worth investing in.

Perception of framerate/display Hz differs from person to person, but for myself the jump from 60 to even 90 FPS is absolutely night and day, it's not just the smoothness of motion but also the reduction in input latency that makes games feel so much more immediate and immersive. I'm never going back to 60Hz if I can help it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Linus was talking pro-gamers want 2 fps for every hz of monitor refresh, a lot now run on 240hz monitors so 480fps!!

I mean, I just think that's them wanting the numbers to be honest, sounds like bullshit that anyone can detect anything I'd say above 120hz.
  • The millisecond difference between frames shortens as you go up the scale, so it's very much a case of diminishing returns. Not having experienced >144Hz I couldn't say if I'd notice a difference, but I think I would but only by a little bit, it's probably quite subtle unless you are playing some twitch shooter at a very high level. At that point the display pixel tech makes more of a difference in terms of grey to grey refresh etc.
  • I don't mind the extra faff and back in my Counter-Strike days i think i could notice differences in FPS. Series S + monitor that does 120HZ over HDMI isn't a bad idea though! Probably cost a lot less than a PC and all i would be missing is the field of view thing i think
  • A fixed and too-low FOV can be really awful, like a queasy tunnel vision sensation. Been playing some Skyrim at 140 FPS and 96 FOV thanks to Bethini and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • I think they showed (in an LTT video) it makes a difference to shot accuracy, even if you can't actually see the difference.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, the missed frames can lead to missed shots. It probably only really makes a noticeable difference if you are at or close to pro level. I don't think my game would improve much because I'm probably not missing the shot due to refresh and FPS rates, but more because I'm old and have terrible reaction times.
  • I remember that when I was into Overwatch having 144 frames on the go in an intense ranked match was pretty exquisite.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Another one to send up the Gurt flare..

Just about to put the order in for this AWD jobbie.

AWD MB520 RGB AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core Liquid Cooled RTX 2060 6GB 
    Desktop PC for Gaming

Pimped up some extras like 16gig RAM, 480gig SSD, 1tb HDD.

The question really is how will a trusty old 2060 do for 1080 gaming? It's for a nephew who's been saving for about a year and now the bastard prices are still all blown to buggery. I was thinking of getting that and it should be more than fine for 1080 starter but have the bones to take a beefier GPU if they ever come back to normality at some future point if he wants. 

Seems ok?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Not that there's much choice these days, but I've seen some suggestion that the Nvidia graphics cards aren't performing as well as they should with mid range CPUs. The 5600X is, for all intents, a great CPU, but it was lumped in with that mid-range.

Probably not a big deal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!