Let's make a gaming PC
  • Is everything else good with the build? Worth checking that your RAM is in the correct slots on the mobo so the sticks are runnign in dual channel, and that the BIOS has them running at the rated speed. If it isn't it's a very quick fix, but ideally a system builder should do that stuff.
  • I... I think so? I'll check.

Otherwise delighted with it. Need to upgrade my pap mouse and keyboard now.
  • Biggest problem other than the WiFi has been needing to turn off the RGB lights on the power button that the 2 year old found fascinating.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Turn off all RGB. It is devilspawn
  • Turn off all RGB. It is devilspawn

Apart from the keyboard and even then no fancy stuff.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So, I built a PC thing. It was fun(ish).

Some of the parts (had to swap the cooler, not compatible):

IMG-6688.jpg

Just getting started:

IMG-6692.jpg

All of the parts and some of the cables in place:

IMG-6694.jpg

The cabling, most difficult bit:

IMG-6695.jpg

First switch on, worked first time, apart from one fan RGB at the back:

IMG-6698.jpg

The finished product (need to tidy some cables and put the HD tray back to hide the ones in the bottom of the case, but that can wait):

IMG-6706.jpg

IMG-6704.jpg

Took about 5 hours to build and I'm pretty chuffed with the result.

While it was cheaper than buying a pre-built system, all I ended up doing was spending more on higher quality parts so ended up probably paying a bit more than I planned. And no the RGB doesn't change colour.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Awesome! What's the "be quite" box? LED controller?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah, comes with the Be Quiet fans, much easier than trying to daisy chain stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That's excellent work. Love the lighting.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers. Hate all the rainbow and cycling rgb that comes out of the box but I think sticking to a single colour is fine.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The unicorn vomit needs to stay on the trade show floor, aye.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s, lovely stuff.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s, lovely stuff.

Cheers hair. Went back in and tidied up the cables and put the HD tray back to hide the cables in the bottom.

It's very tempting to keep looking at it and thinking... I could improve this part etc. nothing to do with performance, but shallowly how I want it to look!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    That's a nice looking system, boris.

I ordered a rip off Alienware at the beginning of January and it looks like it's arriving soon.

It was slightly cheaper than building it myself at the time and I've managed to get some decent discounts thanks to the delays.

3080ti, 9500x with 4 years premium support for £1800. How bad can it be!
  • Just run some stress tests for 30 mins - 1 hour when you get it and make sure the GPU and CPU temperatures are acceptable.

Also check if you've been got by that monthly warranty payment thing as mentioned in the video, they don't charge in the first month so you won't notice it initially.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Birdorf - thanks.

There’s no way I could stretch to a 3080ti. Having said that my monitor is only 1440p (ultrawide) so I think I’m in a sweet spot for now. Plus I didn’t want to spend a ton on GFX knowing the 4 series is around the corner so I’ll probably get one of those end of next year.

I’m more than happy with the results though.

Maxed out nearly everything on Metro Exodus and hitting 80+ FPS and even Cyberpunk with all RT on is 50-60, with g-sync you obviously don’t spot any stutter.
  • 3080s are going for £800 now, and in stock. So tempting.
  • The beautiful thing about PC gaming is that you have the choice of what graphical quality vs FPS you would like. Even if your system is a bit long in the tooth, you can still enjoy some very playable gameplay if you just turn settings down. The main thing is to just have a powerful enough CPU to last a good number of years, CPU bottlenecks are pretty rough.
  • voices wrote:
    3080s are going for £800 now, and in stock. So tempting.

I have heard that prices have been dropping a bit, some cards have finally gotten back to their RRP. Might be worth researching to see if it seems like prices will drop further or jump up again.
  • I think £650 was the RRP for the 3080, which was 'low' at the time they announced it. I think the lowest it could reasonably go now would be £700, which I'd be surprised to ever see. I reckon realistically £750 is the lowest we'll get.

I'd love to be wrong though.
  • I've got a RTX 3060ti. I have absolutely no idea how you optimise it or any of that jazz. Mostly because I haven't bothered looking into how you do it. Is there an easy automatic way of doing it? 

Wish i'd bought a PS5.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • What do you mean by optimise it exactly? If you mean maximise its performance then most GPUs and CPUs these days will auto clock up based on temperate to give you most of their potention. You can still do some manual tuning with the likes of MSI Afterburner if you like, but I probably wouldn't bother unless you have some time to kill and feel like messing with it. You probably won't get more than like a 5% improvement.

You can open up Nvidia control panel to set a max framerate, which I would recommend doing to minimise coil whine and power usage. There's some other tweaks you can make in there like DSR which is useful if you're on a 1080p display, but mostly you don't need to touch it.

Oh and obviously just make sure you keep the drivers updated.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You should be able to turn on resizeable BAR support in your Bios settings. Guess it depends on your motherboard but your graphics card will support it: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Can get up to 10% fps gain depending on the game.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Drill some extra air holes in your case
  • My case is dogshizz. It's got 3 fans on the front and glass blocking them. Extra holes would make a world of difference.

I've updated the drivers now anyway so I suppose thats it all done.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Yeah a lot of cases are honestly awful, like the designers knew nothing about airflow. Gamers Nexus is always a good resource for that -

• I took the side of my case off years ago and never put it back on.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!