Just given up on...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    3 and Reach are both solid choices. I personally prefer 3 (fuck bloom 4eva), but they’re both good.

5 is weak. Pretty, but weak.
  • Narrowed it down to 3 and Reach. I definitely played through both in co-op but can't remember if I tried Reach solo. Enjoyed the giant enemy crabs in H3 but also thought the jetpack was a legit addition in Reach.
  • Reach is a very meh campaign. My least replayed of the bungie ones. However, it's firefight is very good.

3 and odst say what up.

Odst firefight is impeccable, light on maps and some of the bells and whistles of reach, but there's a couple of maps which are basically infinitely replayable.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Play 3 but think about 2 whilst you're doing it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Play none of them and play Titanfall 2 instead.
  • Fucking Gary Sparrows up in here.
  • I definitely think 2 is pretty underrated, the enhanced graphics really makes the campaign pop IMO, makes it a great lead in to 3 and I definitely prefer some aspects to 3. Delta Halo in particular is amazing, 2 has some of my favourite and most memorable set pieces.
  • Yeah, 2 has some big big highs. Doco that came with the special Ed was good too. Pretty darn honest as I recall. Very much yeah, we bit off more than we could chew there and there....
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Fucking Gary Sparrows up in here.

He'd play both at the same time. On legendary. #lad.

I've never played ODST and forgot about it so I'll start that today, case closed for now. If I don't like the hub thing (open world?) I'll bin it for H3. Played Titanfall 2, great campaign, might replay it in 60fps one day.
  • Control

Upto part where im off to free my brother and i dont care. I dont get it. The premise, the building, the self monologue is right up my street but the gameplay is so meh.

When you google greatest games of the generation, this always seem to turn up in the top ten. So i dont understand why im bouncing off it. Its just not engaging me at all.

Anyway, im done with it. Onto Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Time to become a mass murderer. Wait wasnt i a mass murderer in Control as well? Sigh.
  • Cyber Shadow

This should be my sort of thing but it's a real disappointment. I thought the first few levels were good, but from there it increasingly relies on moves that aren't implemented intuitively at all and punishes mistakes too severely.

And there's just nothing exciting about the level design that makes me want to push through. Visuals and bosses are ordinary, no real set pieces. Just feels like fighting through to the next checkpoint for no reward.
  • I'm enjoying it so far! What was your nope out point, Jon? (As in, how far through, not looking for spoilers).
  • I'm really enjoying it but the DP is winding me up (genuinely). I'm not keen on the way you bounce up slightly with the input rather than straight down, it still feels wrong, and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it without depleting the special bar. Despite the fact that its part of your standard moveset once the magic in your pockets is gone. On the stage I'm playing rn you need to DP certain enemies to open doors, and that's costing me SP reserves I like to save for bosses.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'm enjoying it so far! What was your nope out point, Jon? (As in, how far through, not looking for spoilers).
    Level 5 was where it really started to get to me. I finished that, but just couldn't be bothered anymore when I started level 6. The new move you get
    Spoiler:
    The controls overall are messy - e.g. two very different moves for down + attack depending on whether you're in the air or on the ground. And a tricky parry move. It's a poor fit for a game that plays like Mega Man more than anything else, which works by stripping the move set right back.

Edit: I feel like this is misunderstanding of 8-bit games to an extent, mixing in 16-bit complexities without scaling up the level design to fit.
  • The bounce on the DP gives you a longer reach on the jump so I'm at peace with it now. Up tp a boss with enemies that turn into rafts.
  • The medium
    Only played about 30 mins but more than anything it was just boring. Clumsy point and click game and i wasn't even that impressed with visuals as a series x showcase. Also the over use of vibration irked me
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Anyone experienced a jump slash glitch in Cyber Shadow? I didn't notice it for he first four levels or so but there are spots where the slash doesn't register in the air, like a frameskip confirmed to certain areas maybe? There's one just after an early checkpoint on level 5. Maybe I just need to reboot. Not blaming my tools here, it's a definite problem.
  • I guess this can go here, despite the fact that I doubt this game could shake me if it tried - the checkpointing is awful at times. Of course there's a stretch to do over every time you die, that's essential to these things, but not always having checkpoints from one level to the next is insane.

Strong Messenger vibes so far, in that it's an old school ninja update that mostly feels right but doesnt nail everything.
  • Annoying as it is, level 7 rolls in with possibly the best approximation of an early 16-bit Yuzo Koshiro track I've ever heard and all is forgiven.
  • I quite like the no concessions to modern gamers fuck you of it. I've had the shit checkpoint a couple of times but by the time it's at the point of being an issue, it isn't, because I can whiz through the section in no time, often without having to kill most of the enemies.

I don't remember any new levels starting without a checkpoint, how would that even work?
  • There's a stretch at the start of level 7 where you have to do a small chunk of the stage before you get to a checkpoint.

Left it on a checkpoint in level 8 tonight. Things are hotting up and I was starting to do some swears.
  • Volgarr is way more punishing/unforgiving than this so far, imo.
  • Definitely, from the very start too.  Volgarr was so masocore there was very little chance of success without pattern learning.  If you take things slowly in Cyber Shadow half the battle is won, but it's more fun to attempt to sail through it.  Usually if I keep dying on a checkpoint overconfidence is what kills me.  Once you've had one or two runs at a checkpoint you'll know what's what, but Volgarr required more memorisation and more precision.

CS is tough but the checkpoints take the edge off - there are plenty per level.  Volgarr was brutal, with one checkpoint per stage (placed midway rather than before the boss).
  • Volgarr is methodical and exact. It's a very different game to this really.
  • Why the fuck would any game with a double jump allow you to double jump immediately after the initial jump? Trying to do one of the optional changes in Cyber Shadow and the double jump is killing me. I've tried two joycons and a Horizon Split pad now, the cunt keeps double jumping with a single button press.
  • Do you want me to get you past that bit m8?
  • Credits rolling.

70% of items found
    312 deaths :eyes:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cyber Shadow for me. Was looking forward to it, but 40 odd minutes on Game Pass was enough for me to uninstall it. Slavish to a fault to the old formulas without enough to itself, or to justify that type of game in 2021. Shovel Knight has eaten the dinner of most of these types of games, and they have to do something Messenger-esque to stand out for me. Faithful 8 bit graphics and nice chip tunes aren't enough.
    One of those "glad it was on Game Pass and I didn't buy it on Switch" bad boys.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!