SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I still think FFVII has the best opening few hours of a FF game
    I'm 10-15 hours in and it's still going strong tbh, some incredible vista's, story lines, there's not much that feels like unnecessary fluff, and I've hardly seen any drawn out sidequests. Maybe Fort Condor could be that? But with the money requirement that's not easy to start this early in the game, and then next is the Golden Saucer? Where I can't do that much yet I think.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I still haven't finished the Final Fantasy XV ending book and I was so looking forward to finding out WHAT HAPPENS.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I like the opening to 15. Sue me. The song kicks in and I'm gone.

I'm with you!  A fantastic first half, really enjoyed what they had going.  I don't get too upset at games so the last half was mostly interesting in how half arsed it was.  Wonder if, in a couple of decades, they'll try and do a fully formed remake?

Would like to revisit some day.

Also +1 for enjoying Nina's FFVII updates.  Love that it can still impress.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Love that it can still impress.
    Yeah I've talked about this with B as it was something I didn't expect at all. I think it was 3 I tried on the DS (could have been 4, but the screenshots look less familiar of that one) and I gave up on that one. Don't remember any story or character names at all. I hoped 7 would feel less old and traditional, but didn't expect it to feel this good after all those years. The pacing feels good, the characters are funny, it's incredibly dark, the combat is fun, there's some beautiful painted backgrounds. I got a buggy now, and travelling on the world map feels a bit ehh, but new destinations seem to be just a couple minutes away at most, and there aren't as many random battles as I feared. I even have to search for it as I wanted some specific ones.

B compared it to old art, which if it's good, still works to this day to evoke emotions. Doesn't matter if perspective isn't right, or if it's abstract even. I feel awful for typing that out, but I have to agree, the technical limitations 7 had back in the day, aren't holding the game back at all.

Progress:
    Spoiler:
  • BIG GUARD!!!!!!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Have you played 6, Nina? Blew my fuckin mind at the time. Think you might like it still.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Not played 6 as it's very confusing what 6 actually is in the end. And where 6 is actually 6.

I finished IX, I played X, XII (need to play this again and ignore the hunts this time, as they distracted me too much and I never finished the game) and XIV. Little bit of III.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    6 is 3. Obviously.
  • 6 is brilliant. Probably better than 7 for me. Probably.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    But I played 3, and I don't think I played 6...
  • Yeah the one on DS is proper 3. Not played it. Not sure where you could play 6. I know there was a really good version on GBA. The port on PS1 had terrible loading I think. Maybe it’s playable on PS Now?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I bought the GBA version last month. Quote fancy a replay, but can lend??
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yeah the one on DS is proper 3. Not played it. Not sure where you could play 6. I know there was a really good version on GBA. The port on PS1 had terrible loading I think. Maybe it’s playable on PS Now?
    seems like it's either the original SNES version (which could be playable through the SNES mini, hacked maybe?), GBA (but that has a different colour palette and less good sounds, which some people seem to think is the end of the world) or the PC version and then apply as many mods to make it less horrible. Will see, GBA version is quite expensive, and our SNES mini is at the office, which may or may not exist anymore. No one's really been there for over a year now.

So, updates. Story things first:
    Spoiler:
    Pacing of the game is so good though. Nothing has come close yet to the amazing reveal during the Kalm city flashback, and ever since then the game has been giving small hints, or a little extra chapter of other characters, who all went through the Shinra uprise and war in their own ways, slowly building on what's been revealed during the Kalm scene. Never feels to game slow, random battles are fairly few that travelling from one city to another will only get you a couple. I've never felt underpowered in fights, not really needed to redo any of them (not sure if that's a remake tweak) and it's slowly building up towards a Big Thing again. Temple of Ancients did feel like a turning point.

I played a bit of Pokémon Shield the other day, and was surprised how slow those battle feel compared to this. I'm never really sure if I'm using my materia right though, not really using summons, don't even know if they work with the elemental ones to have fire or another element on your weapon/armour. I'm giving Yuffie luck related ones, and she has poison on her weapon, Cloud has cover and counter, and the enemy skills for the more mp expensive moves, Barret has cure all plus some more healing related ones, and I try to give him some that up his stats a bit as well, but not much luck there yet. It doesn't really seem to be holding me back, but I'm just not too sure what to do with all the magic related ones. I don't really want to have any empty slots either, but they do bring my strength down a bit. I think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    SNES mini has 6 (3) unhacked!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah we have the NES mini but I know B hacked that and maybe put both the NES and SNES roms on there, as it's the same hardware (according to him anyway). No way to check that till they are allowed in the office again. Will definitely be the cheapest option to play.
  • Materia wise, it's good to level up cure, time and barrier and connect them with 'all' as much as possible. Haste-all is a great spell to cast at the start of boss battles. And eventually wall-all and regen-all too.

A tank character with cover, counter and multiple HP ups can be devastating in smaller battles. Especially with an added effect combined with sleep, toad, poison etc.

Elemental combined with fire, ice etc. will be very useful against certain enemies as well.

Otherwise, just rotate things in and out to level them up. And generally don't equip gear with zero growth.

Maybe give everyone a single summon, so they're levelled up when you need them.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, I'm not sure if I have time and barrier. I do have Big Guard on one enemy skill though which casts haste, barrier and mbarrier. Have to double check if I have time and barrier, and which one has regen.
    JonB wrote:
    Especially with an added effect combined with sleep, toad, poison etc.
    You can have sleep on your weapon? That sounds nice. Yuffie has poison on hers, seemed to suit her and with her high luck it does seem to trigger fairly often (if luck even influences that). For boss battles I often cast bio3 anyway at the start.

I'm rotating what I have connected to Cloud's weapon quite often, as I always seem to have the one element in there that heals the enemy. Might be better to try and level them by equipping them to armour, for defense purposes. I can't actually remember if having cure in your weapon materia slots will heal enemies as well.

It's definitely an interesting system, I asked B if he remembered what he used, and he didn't use poison at all, which is probably the only one that has been equipped since I got it (along with cure).
    Really hope to have one maxed at some point, as there was some hints on that it would split or something? Curious what happens mostly.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok, so it happened.
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Integrade out in 30mins then.  Having just finished a game I was gonna go for that next, but R&C will overtake it I think.  Plus I'm confused how to get the Yuffie stuff with a PS4 disk and a PS5 console without paying like £50.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yuffie is worth 50money.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But I think it's meant to be like 15money I just can't see where on the store
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But I think it's meant to be like 15money I just can't see where on the store

Only 15 money I can see is to upgrade to digital deluxe and it doesn't have yuffie! :(
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The only store I can check shows "PS5 - Out Of Stock, lol you never get one"
  • It’s a little convoluted.  On the store page you have to click on the ‘…’ button - that opens a menu where you can upgrade your ps4 version to ps5 for free.  Once you do that, go back to FFVII on your dashboard and you get the option to purchase the Yuffie expansion for cheaper from there.

[img=4032x3024]blob:http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/ee5f19bb-a695-4f75-9883-214324c25a66[/img]
    [img=4032x3024]blob:http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/b131558c-1f29-4544-ab63-0c1f9ec3f0d0[/img]
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I can't get the Yuffie to download. It's there but says 'something went wrong' whenever I try it. Is this what's happening generally?
  • JonB wrote:
    I can't get the Yuffie to download. It's there but says 'something went wrong' whenever I try it. Is this what's happening generally?

You should be able to get more details if you check in the download section. Could be a lack of space on SSD? Dunno how full you are.
  • I think there's just something wrong with the review copy I was sent. Was supposed to unlock yesterday. I thought it would be fine once the game was generally available, but nope.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!